Football crazy

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby 999_Springs » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:53 am

The Premiership table is taking a more recognisable form now, so you can identify which end is the top without being told. (I am very tempted to move Tottenham down 10 places in my list. But perhaps not...)

I won't calculate correlations for some time, under tarek's advice. In the meantime could I know if there is a website into which you can paste two lists of ordered names (as opposed to numbers) which will calculate rs instantly?

coloin wrote:come on West Brom !

They will need a change of luck given what happened with all that hitting the posts and bar in the Carling Cup and in Saturday's match.
999_Springs

Postby tarek » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:56 am

For anyone living on another planet & might have not heard of what happened on Monday .....

The premiership has been boosted even more with the new owners of Man City ... More cash sas been splashed out & they've landed Robinho:!::!:

Man City V Chelsea 13.09.08 is "must see now":idea:

Berbatov joining the forwards at Man U is another chilling prospect

Arsenal on form

Liverpool & Aston Villa in the mix

Exciting times....

tarek
tarek

Postby Glyn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:26 am

Man City plan to bid £135 million for Cristiano Ronaldo. I wonder if Scolari will ok that move.

Should make for an interesting derby match if it were to happen.
Glyn

Postby ttt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:00 am

CR7... I hate him after WC2006!
I don't think that he could become as Ronadinho or Zizou...

ttt
ttt

Postby Glyn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:00 pm

ttt I was thinking about 2006 as well. A Manchester United- Manchester City match would allow Wayne Rooney a chance for a rematch. He had to be on his best behaviour while they were clubmates.

I doubt it will happen it is a ridiculous sum to pay for a player.

Mind you same was said about Alf Common the first £1000 player, who was sold by Sunderland to Middlesborough in 1905 helping clear a bit of the £10,000 that Roker Park cost Sunderland and saving the 'Boro from a drop.

I'm sure the Glazers would appreciate the cash at the moment.
Glyn

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:35 am

Hey, ask me anything ya wanna know about football...I'm all over it!

Notre Dame/San Diego St over 42 1/2, take it to the bank. Being a big Cal Bear fan, I'll also predict Stanford gets crushed in Ariz this Sat (9-7-08.)

Wait....this *is* the football thread, right??!:D
Luke
2015 Supporter

Postby udosuk » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:32 am

Luke451 wrote:Wait....this *is* the football thread, right??!:D

No, we were talking about the Swans facing the Kangaroos and the Crows taking on the Magpies this weekend... Hang on, I started this football thread, right?:D

Seriously, I was supporting Man City for a little while when they acquired that Chinese player Sun Jihai a few years back but they traded him away so I don't care anymore. It seems Kevin Keegan is quite popular in my old home town too but I find it hard to support Newcastle now, even through my countryman Mark Viduka is there.

I guess that leaves me with Chelsea (again). I remember I liked them first because they're the least British team in the league (probably the same reason you guys despise them:) ).

I'll hold off my ladder prediction for a few more weeks.
udosuk

Postby tarek » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:43 pm

udosuk wrote:It seems Kevin Keegan is quite popular in my old home town too but I find it hard to support Newcastle now, even through my countryman Mark Viduka is there.
Well, Keegan just left Newcastle I'm afraid, Curbishley did the same with West Ham yesterday.

tarek
tarek

Postby Glyn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:33 pm

Perhaps Newcastle should look for two managers to save time should Mike Ashley want to change one at half time in their next match against Hull.
Glyn

Postby ab » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:52 am

i really like football, but what's happened to it in recent years is nonsense. i hate it when tv commentators talk about Stoke's first year in the Premiership, somehow forgetting that Stoke were one of the founder members of the football league. Stoke had top flight football long before Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Also the Champions League is hilarious. How can Liverpool win the champions league when they haven't been champions of England for more than 10 years:?::?: I think they were fourth the year before they won the champions league.

People like Ferguson complain about the numbers of fixtures players in England have, but if the European cup were still a knockout competition between the champions of countries, his fixture worries would be over at a stroke. Do you think he'd vote for that:?: Also when the Premier League started it was supposed to be to help the England football team. One idea was to get the league down to 18 clubs. They got it down to 20 by the play off system, but then realised that there was big money to be had from tv so stopped. And how the Premier League has helped the England team since:!:
ab

Postby ab » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:58 am

oh yeah one other thing i forgot to mention. Man U were the most profitable club in the world before the Glaziers took over. They were something like 600m in the black. Then the Glaziers borrowed potloads of money to buy Man U and saddled the club with the debt. So now along with Chelsea they're one of the most indebted clubs in the league. How was something like that allowed to happen:?:

Chelsea is a different kettle of fish altogether. If Abramovich hadn't come along they would have probably gone into administration.
ab

Postby enxio27 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:53 am

Luke451 wrote:Hey, ask me anything ya wanna know about football...I'm all over it!

Notre Dame/San Diego St over 42 1/2, take it to the bank. Being a big Cal Bear fan, I'll also predict Stanford gets crushed in Ariz this Sat (9-7-08.)

Wait....this *is* the football thread, right??!:D

Hey, Luke! I'm with YOU! I'm still amazed at that USC/Stanford game last year! A bunch of people were in a restaurant (Texas) watching a bunch of other games (mostly Big 12), and the USC/Stanford game was on a small screen in a corner. When the final minutes of the game came, we ALL forgot about our own games, crowded around that small screen, and cheered Stanford on, even if only to see Pete Carroll's face!

I haven't gotten to watch much football so far this year (college or NFL)--we can't get even local channels where we live without cable, satellite, or a REALLY BIG antenna.

Maybe we need to start our own thread on AMERICAN football?:D (And don't anyone call me a "Yank"--I'm from the South, thankyouverymuch!:D )
enxio27

Postby Glyn » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:47 am

ab One good thing about the TV money, now Sky and Setanta have pulled the plug on showing the qualifiers many of us are spared the embarrassment of watching the demise of the national teams.
Glyn

Postby udosuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:30 am

This is not football but I'm surprised with the heavy British demography here nobody is talking about Andy Murray. After it is perhaps your country's best shot to finally win a grand slam after all these years.:!:
udosuk

Postby tarek » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:42 am

It is frustrationg as I couldn't watch it, so I had to do with The Radio commentary from the BBC site....

It is a sensational win, not just because of the history associated but also because of the opposition involved in that semi-final.

Back to football .... Following the Andorra game, I'm really doubtful regarding a positive result that is going to be achived in Zagreb:(

tarek
tarek

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar