Football crazy

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Football crazy

Postby udosuk » Fri May 09, 2008 5:49 pm

I wonder which is more likely, Chelsea winning the Premier and Champions League double this season or a girl named Chelsea becoming the 1st in history to have 2 American Presidents as parents?:?:

For those unfamiliar with English football, if Manchester United beat Wigan 1-0 in its final match of the season (as expected), Chelsea will need to beat Bolton 18-0 in its final match to become Premier League champion. And then Chelsea & Manchester United will later face off in Moscow in the UEFA Champions League final.
udosuk

Postby tarek » Fri May 09, 2008 7:52 pm

Chelsea winning the double would be a greater feat than H Clinton becoming president, believe me:!::idea:

tarek
tarek

Postby udosuk » Sat May 10, 2008 5:04 am

tarek, by "greater feat" do you mean the odds are lower? I mean if the Chelsea boss can pay big money to the Wigan coach and players to play their hearts out at their home field to at least draw with Man U (if such thing is allowed) there is always a decent outside chance. Of course they'll need to win their own match too.:idea:

Any way we'll know the result tomorrow.:)

PS: I think Obama is on the verge of declaring victory, so I guess the football thing is currently a bit more likely than the political thing.:idea:
udosuk

Postby tarek » Sun May 11, 2008 9:42 pm

I couldn't watch the games, too much tension:!:

I thought the best thing woul db eto leave phone, radio at home & went for the whole day to Rutland Water.

Man U are half way there..

tarek
tarek

Postby Bigtone53 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:07 pm

... whereas Reading, who could have scored one goal in each of their last 4 games and stayed up, saved it all up to win 4-0 when it was too late:(
Bigtone53

Postby udosuk » Mon May 12, 2008 2:05 am

Man U won its match while Chelsea drew against Bolton, the exact opposite of what they wanted. And they also losing their captain to injury, hurting their chances in the Champions League final.:(

Well I guess both my propositions won't happen after all as Barack Obama is about to wrap it all up.
udosuk

Postby tarek » Mon May 12, 2008 5:40 am

Bigtone53 wrote:... whereas Reading, who could have scored one goal in each of their last 4 games and stayed up, saved it all up to win 4-0 when it was too late:(
The extraordinary thing about the last couple of weeks was FULHAM. Last week was the 1st week outside the bottom 3, needed to win its 3rd consecutive away match to stay in the premiership. What a comeback....

I'm not sure if anyone of you saw the Cravenesses before (the equiv. of cheerleaders), but they must have done wonders:D

tarek
tarek

Postby tarek » Thu May 22, 2008 8:18 am

tarek wrote:Chelsea winning the double would be a greater feat than H Clinton becoming president, believe me:!::idea:

Man U got the double, fantastic game yesterday.

Terry sobbed & sobbed
Ronaldo (CR7 on the boot) was about to be punished for his cheeky penalty miss.

I think that a penalty shootout on grass with pouring rain is unfair:(

Looking forward to watching the Euro2008 games & support the .... Oh, I'll try to pick a team:(

tarek
tarek

Postby Bigtone53 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:14 am

I am not surprised that Terry sobbed and sobbed. It is one thing for a professional footballer to fail to outwit a professional goalkeeper; it something else for a professional footballer to miss the whole goal. Still, it made a change from the ball being hoofed over the bar into the stands.
Bigtone53

Postby udosuk » Thu May 22, 2008 11:06 am

It seemed Terry went wide because he "lost his footing". Anyway they could have won it in extra time, but hit the goal post twice. Playing with a man down near the end didn't help either.:(

tarek, I don't know who you are going to support but would it be Croatia or Russia? Anyway the one team I definitely won't support is Italy.:!:
udosuk

Postby tarek » Thu May 22, 2008 1:45 pm

udosuk wrote:I don't know who you are going to support but would it be Croatia or Russia?
Very funny, well it actually brings back memories of that forgettable campaign.

Like in the world cup. I entered the lottery to buy England tickets from the UEFA website. I asked for all matches including the final.

I wasn't lucky:D If I'd won I would have followed the team ahead of England. That would have been Russia.

I will watch the matches but I won't be taking sides.

tarek
tarek

Postby 999_Springs » Sat May 24, 2008 4:47 pm

How many records have Derby County set in the Premier League this season? I can think of: fewest points, fewest wins, fewest goals scored, lowest goal difference and lowest goal average... are there any I have missed?
[edit: First football team to be relegated as early as March]
Last edited by 999_Springs on Mon May 26, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
999_Springs

Postby tarek » Sat May 24, 2008 11:44 pm

Well apparantly Hull is no longer the biggest city in Europe without a top filght football club ........

They just secured promotion to the premiere league with a 1-0 win over Bristol

999_Springs, Hull will be replaceng Dearby County who secured their demotion 10 weeks from the end of the season:D

tarek
tarek

Postby 999_Springs » Mon May 26, 2008 5:25 pm

tarek wrote:Well apparently Hull is no longer the biggest city in Europe without a top flight football club ...

I believe that Plymouth now hold this record...?
999_Springs

Postby Bigtone53 » Mon May 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Tarek wrote:Well apparantly Hull is no longer the biggest city in Europe without a top filght football club ........

Depends on how you define a city. The old UK definition as a town with a cathedral has long since gone out the window in the UK where towns can bid for City status. Cambridge comes to mind as a city without a cathedral, but Ely is certainly a city under all definitions, with I am sure a great football club:D
Bigtone53

Next

Return to Coffee bar