Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby caliboywestcoast » Wed May 16, 2007 8:46 pm

the sun have to play like the bulls played in game 5 with heart and hustle all 48 mins that can be the big difference in this game who the more scappy team
caliboywestcoast

Postby udosuk » Thu May 17, 2007 5:49 am

I'm sorry that the Suns eventually lost by 3, after a gallant effort. They were leading by 16 in the 2nd quarter, and by 8 with 5 mins remaining, but perhaps were too fatigued at the end with only 6 players playing most of the minutes. Marion scored 18 pts in his first 18 minutes, then only added 6 for the rest of the game. Barbosa had a bad shooting night, and fouled out at the end. Ginobili & Bowen's 3 pt shooting at the clutch time made the difference. It was surely a game the Suns would have won if Amare had been there. I can smell/taste the bitterness of the home crowd.

But I reckon Amare and the other Suns will be extra-fired-up in the remaining 2 games. The Spurs' best chance to close out is in game 6. If they can't I think the Suns will take the series.
udosuk

Postby caliboywestcoast » Thu May 17, 2007 7:28 pm

the suns had the win but it showed that they needed AS in the fourth quarter cause the had trouble having there temple high and they usally play inside outside game but they only had outside game and at the end of the 4th they need to score inside but they couldnt cause there was no AS
caliboywestcoast

Postby Hud » Thu May 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Udosuk, you summed up my feelings in a nutshell. If the Suns are eliminated, I don't plan to watch or post comments on anymore of the games. I guess I'm a sore loser but I'll confess to it. I can see it now: An exciting Pistons/Jazz final. I'm not putting goat horns on him, but Barbosa hasn't shown up in this series. I'll credit the Spurs for getting into his head. I think D'Antoni erred by not using Burke more. The Suns bench is a total joke if he won't ever play 3 or 4 guys while 2 guys are suspended. HOrry claims that Nash flopped on the play in question. What a dumb *** that guy is. He probably thinks Kennedy flopped when another Texan shot him. Sorry to rant about Texas, but what is it? A great incubator of presidents?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri May 18, 2007 2:02 pm

If the Suns are eliminated, I don't plan to watch or post comments on anymore of the games. I guess I'm a sore loser but I'll confess to it.

That's how I felt when the Rockets were knocked out by the hated Jazz. I guess you'd hate the Spurs much more than I hate the Jazz though.

I never regard much of D'Antoni. It seems his coaching formula is just doing the same things over and over (run 'n gun, pick 'n roll) and giving his star players plenty of game time. I don't think he's in the same class of Phil Jackson, Pat Riley or Avery Johnson. Perhaps not even Gregg Popovich & Jerry Sloan, if dirty tactics count as good coaching.

I guess "Big Shot Rob" just became "Cheap Shot Rob" now.:) Suddenly I remember Joey Crawford, and the league's decision to suspend him for allegation of picking on Duncan. For some reasons David Stern and his staff are partial to the Spurs. I wonder what are them?

And good call caliboy that the Pistons have no trouble closing out in game 6. I guess the Cavs are the ones in trouble now.

It is shut out since Bill M., Bryan T. and Steve Y.

Final hints: it's a major North American sport. It's not baseball or basketball. Try to start with "Steve Y". That's where I cracked it from.
udosuk

Postby caliboywestcoast » Fri May 18, 2007 7:22 pm

AS is coming with revange and if AM and Nash play to there best in the fourth quarter.

And good call caliboy that the Pistons have no trouble closing out in game 6. I guess the Cavs are the ones in trouble now.

the cavs are going to be in trouble if they dont close out real big cause that rest might show on Lebron later in the series but since the piston are my fav team they will beat them in 6 games
caliboywestcoast

Postby Hud » Fri May 18, 2007 9:29 pm

I'll have to brush up on my ice hockey history to get the answer. I haven't forgotten it, but have had other things on my mind.

I didn't watch or hear any reports of the last Suns game but when I lied awake during the wee hours yesterday, I ran through some scenarios and kept finding the Suns trying to hold a small late lead. I suppose sometimes the subconscious mind can see things that we can't when awake.

I agree with cali that AS needs to play a very good CONTROLLED game tonight. If he gets in earely foul trouble, it's game over. I think the Spurs will try to get into heis head early on, and they'll probably be successful doing it. They definitely are in Barbosa's head so much that he's ineffective.

I just realized another thing. The Rockets fired Van Gundy today and they really could use Boris Diaw on that team. Boris is a terrific setup man and can play a good point guard position. Maybe the Rockets and Suns can get a third team involved and make a big trade. The Suns definitely want to free up some cap space and if/when they get eliminated this year, they'll probably retool.

Sorry I was so upset about things yesterday. I'm beginning to get back to a semblance of normalcy.
Hud

Postby Para » Fri May 18, 2007 10:52 pm

udosuk wrote:
It is shut out since Bill M., Bryan T. and Steve Y.

Final hints: it's a major North American sport. It's not baseball or basketball. Try to start with "Steve Y". That's where I cracked it from.

I put a hint to the sport in the riddle but nobody seems to have picked up on it.
Para

Postby udosuk » Sat May 19, 2007 6:52 am

Para wrote:I put a hint to the sport in the riddle but nobody seems to have picked up on it.

If the hint you meant was "shut out" then I must say it is a term most popularly identified with baseball (e.g. Chien-Ming Wang pitched 17 shut out innings in 2 consecutive starts). (See this link.)

I hope I'm not the one to break the bad news to you Hud. The Spurs broke out to a 20-pt lead in the 4th quarter and the Suns had to play catch-up all the way toward the end. Eventually they lost by 8. Amare was monsterous the whole game, scoring 17 in the 1st half and 21 in the 2nd half, finished with 38 pts, 12 rebs and only 2 fouls. But once again Barbosa failed to contribute enough (13 pts, 5/15 FG, 0/5 3P). Ginobili was again the hero (33 pts, 11 rebs). Marion also didn't shoot much (5/12 FG for 11 pts).

So the final 4 are decided. Spurs-Jazz, Pistons-Cavs. No Mavs, Suns, Rockets, Heat, Warriors. I think you're supporting the Jazz in the next series, so we'd have to stand on opposite ends again. (Not that I like the Spurs much anyway, but someone has to crush those m@r..@ns.)

As for the JVG firing, it's sad it had to end this way. I like his personality, but not his coaching style. I'm not sure the Rockets want Diaw as their PG though. I hope the organisation would throw out the big money to grab Billups, but that's probably too wishful.

The draft lottery will be on next week. If the Suns get a #4-5 pick, I wonder if they'd pick Yi Jianlian or Joakim Noah? Probably the latter.
udosuk

Postby Para » Sat May 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Guess that has to do with my complete lack of knowledge of baseball and a die hard hockey fan.
Para

Postby Hud » Sat May 19, 2007 10:17 pm

I'm completely indifferent to whomever wins the next rounds and the crown. As far as I'm concerned the season's over. I don't particularly like D'Antoni's coaching style either. I think he blew game 5 by running his players into the court. I had read exactly how the last 2 games would go and the writer had it pegged. He said the starters would play so many minutes in game 5 that there wouldn't be enough left in their tanks for game 6. I'm wondering what's going to happen to Marcus Banks and Bonzi in the off season? I heard that the Suns invited Chien-Ming Wang to the last home game (5). I doubt that they'll draft him though also.

Another pitcher on the Yankees gets hit by a come backer. Wang seems to be the only bright spot on the staff. Dice-K gets another nice win. Did I mention that the O's blew a 5 run lead in the ninth against the Bo-Sox earlier in the week?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sun May 20, 2007 6:34 am

Hud wrote:I heard that the Suns invited Chien-Ming Wang to the last home game (5). I doubt that they'll draft him though also.

I believe you're referring to Yi Jianlian instead (Chien-Ming Wang is a Taiwanese pitcher of the NY Yankees). It seems he's working out in L.A., and is impressing the selectors well enough that he's currently the #3 prospect overall, behind Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. So perhaps the Suns will never get to pick him anyway.

Hud wrote:Did I mention that the O's blew a 5 run lead in the ninth against the Bo-Sox earlier in the week?

I did notice that game on Mother's Day. Here is a recap. The O's starter (Jeremy Guthrie) had a 3-hit shut out in 8 1/3 innings until an error by the catcher got him pulled out. Then the BoSox just rolled the relief pitchers and won at the end with another error from the closing pitcher. Dice-K looks worth every bit of the $102M the BoSox spent for him, and the Yankees look a sure thing to miss the playoffs this season.

There are talks that Shawn Marion will be traded for Kevin Durant or Kevin Garnett next season. He didn't prove his value in game 5 against the Spurs. I suppose there is a reason why Nash & Amare are on the 1st NBA team and Marion's not even on the 3rd team.
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Sun May 20, 2007 10:23 am

AFL Football
Watching udosuk's Sydney "Swans" beat Port Adelaide today by 31 points, the TV commentators highlighted how the Swans' game improved when "Spida" Everitt was playing but when he was rested on the bench, his temporary absence enabled Port Adelaide to score more easily to almost catch up to the Swans. On today's effort I think "Spida" is worth his place at least for this season. As a Richmond supporter, my team has now lost eight games in a row and, like Hud, I'm feeling stressed in watching them lose every week. They should be a good side in a couple of years - I just hope I'm still around to see them:)

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sun May 20, 2007 11:04 am

Yep, I watched the Swans-Power match today too. Not only Spida, but all players (especially the young ones) played very energetically and excitingly. I think the fact that they're playing at home in Sydney helped a lot. If only they can bring this intensity on the road... Their full forward, Barry Hall continued his bad form. And after watching him for a few seasons, I start to appreciate how great the Swans' previous full forward, "Plugger" Tony Lockett was.

Cec, I'm sure you will see the Richmond Tigers win another match later. Perhaps it will be against our Swans, hopefully against somebody else... At the moment the Melbourne Demons also are winless, and the Tigers will play the Demons 5 weeks later... So one of these 2 will "break the duck" then.
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Sun May 20, 2007 3:27 pm

udosuk wrote:"...At the moment the Melbourne Demons also are winless, and the Tigers will play the Demons 5 weeks later... So one of these 2 will "break the duck" then.

Udosuk, when the Tigers and the Demons play each other they could be unlucky enough to play a draw and still both be winless.:)
Cec
Cec

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar