Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:47 pm

Yeah I watched the game. Awesome performance from Lebron. He surely deserve to wear 23 on his back. I have a feeling things will be different to last year. Surely the Cavs (especially Lebron) are more experienced.

If the Pistons are to bounce back, Billups needs to play much better. So far in the series he hasn't been "Mr. Big Shot". He did score better in games 4 & 5, and in game 5 made a big 3 with 22s left in the 4th and made 2 FTs at the end of OT1, but he missed the winning shot at the end of 4th and the tying shot at the end of OT2.
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:58 am

Cec, congrats to your Tigers for finally securing a draw and earning 2 points in the competititon. Tonight our Swans lose to the Essendon Bombers by 1 pt, and almost won it with a would-be-winning goal that brushed the goal post with a few seconds remaining. And some of the umpiring decisions down the stretch was clearly in favour of Essendon (which led to at least one of their goals in the last quarter), and considering the match was in Sydney it's a bit hard to take. Now I'm feeling what you felt last week.:(
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:05 pm

Sorry for my slow response but thanks udosuk for your encouragement for the "Tiger"s effort being just pipped by Essendon last week and our draw against the Brisbane "Bears" giving us two premiership points but still without a win after nine games.:( Bad luck for your team going down to Essendon by only one point.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:00 am

Caliboy, sorry about the Pistons going out. They did a great job on defending Lebron, but it was Daniel "Boobie" Gibson who kill them with his shooting. Billups once again didn't step up enough. And Rasheed and Rip fouling out didn't help either. But I kind of hope it will drive Billups away from Detroit and might make him move to Houston.

In the other thread I did pick a Spurs-Cavs final, now it remains to see if the Spurs will really play dirty and take out Lebron in game 2. As Hud would know I do have an uncanny ability to pick out winners (unless the teams I support are involved). If only I could use that ability on actual betting (lol).
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Udosuk, that's exactly the same phenomenum I have with stock picking lol.

I hope, but doubt if, the refs will keep a close eye on several of the Spurs during the finals. The NBA probably got what it wanted or deserved in the finals. I hope the ratings suck.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:46 am

On the contrary, I think the ratings won't be too bad for the Lebron factor. I think basketball is a hero-oriented sport and since Jordan retired we haven't seen anyone able to carry the whole team like Lebron did (Kobe has won a few games, but never won anything serious without the help of Shaq).

Today the Yankees scrambled a game back against the BoSox but I still think they'll miss the playoffs. Their only hope is to catchup on the Tigers for the wildcard spot, whom they're 7 games behind now. Perhaps Clemens will give them a boost.:?:

The D-backs lost a game yesterday but won one back today. Currently they, the Dodgers & the Padres hold the #2-4 spots in NL overall. It's a pity one of them will miss the playoffs.

Regarding Para's hockey riddle, I think it's time to reveal the answers:

Steve Y = Steve Yzerman (Detroit Red Wings)
Bryan T = Bryan Trottier (New York Islanders)
Bill M = Bill Masterton (Minnesota North Stars - now Dallas Stars)

Apparently Masterton was the first and only player to die in an NHL game (someone pushed him and he cracked his skull onto the ice, and died of bleeding - they didn't wear helmets back then).

I won't be surprised if you guys haven't heard of any of them. The only hockey player's name I know of is someone called Wayne Gretzky.
udosuk

Postby Hud » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:36 pm

Udosuk, sorry I never got around to finishing up the Ice Hockey question.

Added: I actually heard of Masterton and Trottier but don't follow the sport at all. Gretzky is part owner and coach (I think) of the local team. I hope he isn't implicated in his wife's gambling woes.

I can't remember the last time it rained here, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I promise to quit whining about my beloved Phoenix Suns (til next year lol).

I watched some of the BoSox/Yanks game last night and was a bit surprised to learn that the hated Yanks had won it. What's with Bobby Abreau's fielding? He looks very bad in right field. Big Poppy is painful to watch running the bases. I was surprised to see him score on a sac fly to make it 5-4.

The D-backs really are doing well expecially their starting pitching. Now if RJ returns to form???

Golf is in full swing here in the Phoenix area now. I hope they made their money during wintertime since the courses are not very full now and the rates are now affordable for cheapskate me.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Talking about the Yanks, last week I think when they play the Blue Jays in Toronto, during the top of 9th A-Rod was running from first to third when the next batter hit an infield pop-up. Apparently A-Rod yelled "I've got it" between the Jays' short stop & 3rd baseman and they both thought the other got it and let the ball drop. As a result the Yanks scored 4 extra runs since that was the potential 3rd out in the inning. After that play all Blue Jays players are furious and called A-Rod dirty. IMO it was a pretty smart play and would make a good scene in a baseball movie. I guess it was one of those tricks that you appreciate unless it was done to the team you like.
udosuk

Postby Hud » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:07 pm

I felt the same way and I would feel that way if it happened to my team. When I played ball even though it was mostly fast pitch softball, everyone did that sort of thing. One time I was playing shortstop and a guy tried to steal second. Our secondbaseman took the throw in a cloud of dust. I was backing up the play and the ball came rolling out of the dust cloud. I quickly scooped it up with my glove and since it was the third out was wondering what to do with the ball. The ump had called the guy out and I simply tossed him the ball. The ump was none the wiser but the other team howled. The play stood and I felt pretty good about the ruse lol.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:35 am

Today Wang won a complete game 5-hitter.:) It seems it's the BoSox now who's in a bit of a slump. But this slump need to last for at least a month for the Yanks to have any chance of catching up in the division. Rocket Clemens should be back some time this week.

The Ducks have won the Stanley Cup, and once again a Canadian team is beaten by a Sun-belt team. Perhaps the Phoenix Coyotes will win it in a few years.:) Yes Wayne Gretzky is their head coach as well as part owner. He was implicated by his wife's gambling scandal which involved the Coyotes' assistant coach Rick Tocchet, but neither he or his wife (Janet Jones) were in real serious trouble.
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:22 am

Hud, you're right about the NBA Finals series being boring and probably having low rating. Perhaps Bowen's D is too tough for LBJ. But people wrote them off when the Cavs were 0-2 down against the Pistons. Let's see if they can rebound at home in Cleveland. I don't think the Spurs need to take out Lebron in game 2 now.

Today Schilling was down to the last out for a no-hitter. It would have been a perfect game if not for a fielding error and a 2-out single in the bottom of 9th. I don't like him too much but do feel for him as I don't think he'll ever be that close again.
udosuk

Postby Hud » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:46 pm

I'm not a big
Schilling fan either, but I do credit him for us winning the 01 World Series.

Yersterday's game might have been a classic with Randy Johnson and Dice-K both pitching. I didn't watch very much of the game but was impressed with Dice-K's pinpoint control. His screw ball really had em fooled when he kept it on the inside corner. RJ is a shadow of his former self, but still must intimidate some left handed batters. I was very happy to see the Beantowners lose at least one game. I really find Bostonians obnoxious and hate to root for them (except against the Yanks). The Yanks are hitting their stride as we kinda felt they eventually would. I believe my D-backs will be in the Big Apple for the next 3 games. I hope Webb's sinker is working overtime.

One of our local supermarkets has Suns Caps on sale for $3.50 (reg $14) I bought 3 but only one for me. They were official caps so it was a bargain. I'm glad David Stern didn't autograph them lol.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:40 am

I think the matchup will be Wang vs Webb. Looking forward eagerly to that one.:)

Checked the pitching line of the RJ-DiceK duel. Both got 9K in 6 innings, so half of their outs were strikeouts. Impressive. Glad that the D-Backs got one back. I'm also starting to dislike the BoSox. I think they're turning into another Evil Empire. The only way for me to like them again is if they recruit another Taiwanese player.:D

I have a feeling my 4-1 prediction of the NBA final won't come true. Either the Cavs will bounce back for 2 or more wins at home or they'll get swept.

Added later:

Wang won the sinkermen's duel with Abreu's 3 run HR in the 1st inning. But the Yanks got lucky with the D-Backs 2B making a throwing error which allow the leadoff Johnny Damon to reach base at the first place.

And today must be the day of Taiwanese pitchers. Hong-chih Kuo of the Dodgers won with the same scoreline (4-1) against the Mets. And not only that, the Dodgers hit 3 HRs in 3 pitches, the last one by Kuo himself.:!: These Dodgers really know how to hit consecutive HRs, remember last year they hit 4 HRs in 4 pitches against the Padres in the bottom of 9th to tie the game up and then win it in the 10th?

Another pitcher, not Taiwanese though - Justin Verlander (Tigers) threw a no-hitter with 12 Ks against the Brewers. His girlfriend is Chinese. So what a day for Chinese-related pitchers!:)

With the Spurs up 3-0, we can't help pondering if the title should have been the Suns' had Amare not been suspended from game 5, and if there ever was a game 7 in Phoenix. But then again, both the Jazz & the Cavs are the same type of (but inferior) defensive teams as the Spurs and they would no doubt prefer to play the Suns instead. Also, it could have been the Mavs' title had they not been so arrogant and tanked the 2nd last regulation game against the Warriors, allowing them to get into the playoffs in the first place.
udosuk

Postby caliboywestcoast » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:56 pm

ok it goes like this the piston called of the spurs to tell them to sweep the cavs so they can get some sort of revenge
caliboywestcoast

Postby udosuk » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:43 am

Well I guess not many fans outside San Antonio & Cleveland will remember this final series much...

The Yanks' offense got shut out by the Mets today. The D-Backs took some of their frustration out against the O's. Apparently this past series wasn't a good form guide.
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar