Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for the info about the spitting incident. I wasn't paying attention when that happened, guess it must have made a big deal in the golf circle then. Here is a clip on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wX6VQ0KJJo

Apparently he said "I didn't spit, it just felled out of my mouth".:!: How stupid was that? It made me want to laugh and puke at the same time. As you know I hate all things unhygienic. I wonder what the players behind who picked up balls from that hole thought after they were told of this.

Good luck on the renovations.
udosuk

Postby Hud » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Hmmm, I cn't seem to access the latest post by udosuk, so I'll post something to possibly see the previous one.

the Mike Vick situation seems to be snowballing. Most people in this country (and probably others?) hate animal cruelty, so he's really on the hot seat. I don't see how he can mend his reputation now.

The Yanks are hitting on all cylinders now and should make the playoffs. I suppose the cream of the AL are them and the BoSox.

The D-backs are on another of their on again, off again spurts. I'll think their corner has been turned when the can beat the hated Dodgers in a series.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:37 am

Lol, I was refraining myself from praising the Yankees because every time I did so they fell into a slump and every time I condemn them they hit a winning streak. So I'll say one more time: they aren't making the playoffs no matter how hard they chase. The BoSox and the Indians are too good to relinquish their berths. And Kei Igawa isn't any good too. It was a joke comparing him to Dice-K.

It seems the Rockets are seeking to ship "Skip 2 My Lou" Alston to Miami for their big man Udonis Haslem. But I wonder if it will work out. Or there are talks about them trying to lure Chris Webber. Anyway once they get that final piece of the puzzle (a decent starting PF) all other Western teams should be very aware of their presence next season. Even if they don't sign a great experienced one they already got an exciting rookie Luis Scola from Argentina. Their new GM Daryl Morey is surely doing a marvellous job with his "moneyball" approach.

This current page in the thread (p.46) would be good for another 11 posts until an empty p.47 would pop up because of the 3 system-swiped posts from rep'nA. I say by then we open a new thread and leave this one untouched. It's amazing we have over 110,000 views already.:!:
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:34 am

Udosuk, I haven't a clue about what's going on with the forum, but some things are just not meant for mortal minds to understand.

I watched some of the D-backs game last night and B Kim was nearly unhittable. The only hit he allowed was to the opposing pitcher, Micah Owings (who was a terrific hitter in high school and college) and it was a mammoth homerun. As soon as BK went out, the D-backs rallied. RJ just announced he's out for the season and will undergo more surgery. I wish he'd retire and save the team some $ ala Mark Mcguire? Somehow, I don't think he will and he'll be hailed as a fierce competitor ala Todd Stottlemeyer. Sorry to sound so jaded, but we installed a 6 foot patio door today and I lost 6 pounds in the morning working on it. I only started out weighing 155 pounds.

You're right about Dice-K being all that was advertised. He appears headed for 20+ wins this season. I still believe the hated Yanks will make the playoffs and spoil it for some team.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:47 am

The big news today is KG's trade to the Celtics. Wish him luck for his last bid to win a title (as long as the opponent is not the Rockets). Actually I like Ray Allen too so hope they can do some damage in the East (especially against the hated Heat).

Once again the D-backs are on a roll with Webb winning another shut out today. Both Bonds and A-Rod seem to be having trouble reaching their corresponding milestone (755th & 500th HRs). I wonder who'll hit it first. The ironic thing is while they struggle their teams are doing well. Today the Yankees hit 8 HRs (a franchise record) but A-Rod went 0/5. That said, I expect them to lose tomorrow since I just wrote they're doing well.:) Well, to heck with it. I don't care much anymore...

The Iraqis are celebrating like crazy for their Asian Cup (soccer) title. I guess their people deserve it after so much suffering. Perhaps the sweetest thing for them is they defeated the Aussies en route and effectively ended their chances.
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:44 am

Barry Bonds finally broke the record, and the Yankees & the Blue Jays almost got into a brawl today. Tomorrow Wang will pitch against the Jays, let's see if he's gutsy enough to throw some retaliating inside pitches like Clemens did today (I hope not).

That new kid Upton of D-Backs looks quite good. Today he needs only single to hit for the cycle (after Reynolds did so some weeks ago). Looks like the future for the D-Backs is quite bright.:)

BTW I hope people who took the trouble to click into this post won't regard it as spam.:D
udosuk

Postby Hud » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Yeah, Upton appears for real. In his first game in the outfield he nonchalanted a routine fly ball and missed it. The Dodger fans gave him a merciless ribbing over it and I'm glad they did. I always have hated to see pro ballplayers use one habd when they have 2. Steve Finley used to always use both hands on routine flyballs. Let's hope Upton learned from his error. I could have predicted the D-backs would let down against the Pirates and the Nats after the way they played against the Padres and Dodgers. I believe the D-backs and Padres are all even in the all important loss column. Casey Stengle always referred to the loss column when someone tied his Yanks.

Got all the windows and doors installed. It was quite a job since it's pretty hot and humid this time of year. I didn't like the way the very first window went in and redid it this morning. Just for good measure, I cut a fingertip and it bled out nicely for a while. I like that since it cleans the germs out.
Hud

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:48 pm

Hud wrote:"....I didn't like the way the very first window went in and redid it this morning. Just for good measure, I cut a fingertip and it bled out nicely for a while...."

Hi Hud,
Sorry about your misfortune but I couldn't resist replying... When I do a job like this I'm usually all "fingers and thumbs" but I've never got to the stage of cutting part of my finger off:)
Cec
Cec

Postby Hud » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:03 am

Cec, I'll digress from my usual insightful sports commentary to tell more of my home improvement exploits. I was using a tool with a hook shaped blade that I believe is called a "lineoleum knife". It appeared a bit dull so I sharpened its blade before starting to cut out the caulking. Awhile later, I noticed that the tip wasn't quite sharp enough so I ground it to a nice edge. I accidentally hit a finger with it and didn't break the skin. The next time I did it I scored. This time I asked Barb (my wife) to get me some gloves and a couple bandaids. The finger I nicked is one of the ones that I stuck in a table saw about 25 years ago and luckily the blade wasn't set too high. Three fingertips are still a bit numb, but useable.

The bloke who wrestled the record setting homerun ball hit by Barry Bonds is enroute to visiting Australia. Watch out for an obnoxious guy with a New York Accent spending money like it's going out of style.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:12 am

Interesting discussion about finger cuts. The thing that bugs me is not the bleeding or the pain, but the itchy feeling when it starts to heal. Anyway I hope it doesn't affect your golf swing lol.

Here is an article about the lucky guy who grabbed Bonds' #756:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2965703

(It's a genuine sports news article, not spam:D )

It seems at the moment it'll sell for around $500K, and he's got to pay 40% of that to the tax office. Doesn't sound too luxurious to me (still quite a lot of money). Must worth the blood he lost for it.

Anyway, today Wang got trashed by the Jays hitters and A-Rod had to take the day off after being hit right in the knee yesterday. I hope the Jays feel they've got even now. It's funny they waited for a whole month to take revenge. It's probably wise they didn't retaliate in New York and only do it when they have their home crowd on behind.
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 am

Udosuk and Hud,
I know how keen you both are on baseball and I came across this joke which may appeal to you (if you haven't heard it before and no worries with censorship on this one).

Two life-long buddies, Bob and Earl, were two of the biggest baseball fans in America. They went to 60 games a year and discussed baseball history during the winter and pored over every box score during the season. They even agreed that whoever died first would try to come back and tell the other if there was baseball in heaven.

One summer night, Bob passed away peacefully in his sleep. A few nights later, his buddy Earl awoke to the sound of Bob's voice from beyond.

"Bob is that you?" Earl asked.

"Yes it is" replied Bob "and I have some good news and some bad news for you so which do you want to hear first?"

"Tell me the good news first" asked Earl amazed with excitement.

"Well, the good news Earl is that yes there is baseball in heaven."

"Oh, that's wonderful" says Earl "so what could possibly be the bad news?"

"You're pitching tomorrow night."

Cec
Cec

Postby Hud » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Good joke, Cec. I was thinking the bad news was that the Yankees were in the world series of heaven.

Last night was a bad night for Asian pitchers for sure. Wang got rocked and Kim was very shaky in his return to the D-backs. At least the d-backs managed to win and pick up a game in the loss column on the Padres.

They're even considering taxing the baseball even if the guy doesn't sell it. I think that sets a bad precedent.

No home improvement adventures but I have to suffer the embarassment of having the 76 year old man beat me at golf again today. He gave me a tip about short irons and chipping on Monday. I think Cec mentioned that he sometimes hits from an "open" stance to get his body through the shot? I'll give it a go and see how it works. He and I played at a course Monday where they had drawn down the water in a big lake on the 18th hole. We got at least 50 mudcovered golf balls out of it and it was amazing that most turned out to be keepers after lots of soaking and scrubbing. The course is overrun with Canada Geese lately so the greenskeepers have placed vicious looking, fiberglass Coyotes around most of the lakes. They seem to be working on the geese, but not the ducks. They also must move the decoys else the geese catch on that they aren't real. Some courses in the states use Australian Shepherds (dogs) to run the geese off.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:07 am

Hud wrote:Good joke, Cec. I was thinking the bad news was that the Yankees were in the world series of heaven.

With the likes of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Roger Maris etc you'd think the Yankees are a safe bet for perennial world series champions of heaven. But the precondition is that the bulk of them have to get into the heaven in the first place, which nobody is sure.:D

For some reasons I completely missed the D-backs acquisition of B Kim. I'm sure the Arizona fans will give him some special treatment each game:) . It seems he'd be a starter instead of a closer, let's see if it'd work out better (apparently it didn't in his first game yesterday).

Rocket Clemens got suspended 5 games for retaliating with a hit-batter-pitch and Joe Torre for 1. I'm surprised the Blue Jays pitchers who threw at A-Rod got no punishment at all. Anyway I don't know how they count the suspension for a starting pitcher, who isn't going to pitch for the next 5 games anyway.:?:
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:50 am

LOL, I play around with this thread, and accidentally deleted a post on the first page (one from myself, fortunately). With the google cache I can recover it, but unfortunately even my moderator tools won't allow me to re-insert the deleted post in that specific position. Here is the post I deleted (the last post on p.1, right between the ones from Luna and Chessmaster):

At Wed May 03, 2006 10:37 am, I wrote:Points taken Luna - must admit I couldn't really spot that secret word behind that sudoku grid... And agree 100% on your decision to censor it...

This is in fact very unimportant, and Chessmaster has requoted the same message in his post anyway.:)

If anything, this teaches me to be very careful with the buttons...:D
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:51 am

Okay, this is the 12th post on this page (page 46). Any more new replies will cause a dummy "page 47" to appear due to the several lost posts from rep'nA. Please post on the new sports talk thread.

I'll lock up this thread now.

Added later:
Thanks to my fellow moderator Ruud's master strokes, the lost posts from rep'nA (now re'born:) ) have all been recovered. So the structure of this thread is repaired. But since I started a new thread, this thread will continued to be locked. Please use the new thread for our sports talk.
udosuk

Previous

Return to Coffee bar