Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Postby udosuk » Tue May 02, 2006 6:50 pm

It seems like a crazy idea to start this thread in a sudoku forum with a heavy British audience base... But since World Cup is not for another couple months and Chelsea has wrapped up the Premiership already (in the possible expense of Rooney and England's chance in Germany)... Well I wanna know how many (if any) people here are interested in both sudoku and basketball anyway...

I wanted to talk NBA also because this year is the first time I've witnessed in sport that tanking games became so obviously beneficial to some teams... But I think it's a beautiful thing that sometimes you got to think how to lose (without being too explicit) instead of winning to get into a better position later... It require so much more brain work... Sort of like that "adding a clue to make a sudoku puzzle harder" thing...

And this year's playoff has already produced some very exciting games... Kobe's miracle shots, etc... Expecting more...
Last edited by udosuk on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
udosuk

Postby jimbob » Tue May 02, 2006 7:09 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.
jimbob

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 02, 2006 7:45 pm

Surprisingly - to me - Scotland has a National Basketball Team and since I've just found that out it's going to take me a while to figure out the rest.

I like the unusual stuff, like Kabbadi - not aware that Scotland fields a team in that, though - but we are World Cup holders in Elephant Polo. Beating a strong competition, apparently.

Anyway, I got a grip of Sudoku, I'll get a grip of this.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Hud » Tue May 02, 2006 7:46 pm

I know what you're saying about teams "tanking" to get a favorable first round opponent. It definitely didn't work for the Phoenix Suns even though I believe they did just that. The series isn't over yet, but I'd have to say their backs are against the wall. They claim to not be panicking though.

A little unrelated sports joke if I may:

After playing 18 holes of golf, our foursome was sitting around the clubhouse settling our bets when another golfer stormed in.
Fuming after a lousy round, he slammed down his scorecard and announced, "If I wasn't married, I'd give this stupid game up!"
Hud

Postby udosuk » Tue May 02, 2006 8:54 pm

Apologies to all who don't know what I'm talking about...

Hud, I don't think the Suns have "tanked" to get to their position... Didn't think they could catch either SA or Dallas anyway... But they surely don't deserve this... I think Nash is a great guy and it's unlucky that they lost Amare (again)...

Surely the Clippers showed how smart they were for dropping to #6 and got Denver with home court, and how dumb the Grizzlies were... And also the Mavs for giving up the #1 seed to avoid the Kings... Both "tanking" decisions have worked out great...

I guess once (if) the Suns are knocked out you'll lose all interest about all this... But I like your joke, guess some (more) NBA players will go playing some golf after the next few days...

And Luna, I'm surprised to see the Scots basketball team in the Commonwealth Games too... And they were doing not too bad BTW...

Oh, BTW I checked out the game of Kabbadi, very interesting game!:)

And Elephant Polo... Simply the name makes me want to play... But first must make sure I know how to get down off them I suppose!:D
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 02, 2006 9:13 pm

Udosuk wrote:Oh, BTW I checked out the game of Kabbadi, very interesting game!:)

Cable TV is a wonderful thing!

Udosuk wrote:And Elephant Polo... Simply the name makes me want to play... But first must make sure I know how to get down off them I suppose!:D

Yes, I know what you mean. What left me even more amazed was they trained - would that be the right word? - in Land Rovers and borrowed the elephants when they got there!

Anyway, back to the NBA

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Tue May 02, 2006 9:31 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:What left me even more amazed was they trained - would that be the right word? - in Land Rovers and borrowed the elephants when they got there!

:!:

Land Rover Polo... Why don't they make it an Olympic Sport!?
udosuk

Postby Hud » Tue May 02, 2006 10:22 pm

udosuk,

I follow the Suns ( sounds like a line from a song), but at my age, I can't stand watching them. I get too worked up. My daughter treated me to one game last season (04) and we sat about 10 rows above courtside. Luckily, they beat the Denver Nuggets by around 40 points.

There were reports right at the season's end that the Suns didn't want anything to do with the Sacramento Kings. The Kings were playing great and Ron Artest was really helping them a lot.

I really like the NBA playoffs and follow all of it pretty closely. Everyone here believes the Detroit Pistons are unbeatable, but anything can happen.

The Suns miss Amare terribly but overachieved without him. It also huirt them to lose Kurt Thomas (I think that's the name) their last remaining big (relatively) man. They have a couple big men on the bench but they are mostly stiffs.

Steve Nash is terrific both on and off the court. He was originally signed by Phoenix when most teams wouldn't have. One little known fact is that he was born in South Africa before his family moved to Canada. He volunteers a lot of time visiting sick children in hospitals. I read one article where he was to see a child for several minutes, and ended up talking to him for an hour.

I'm sorry to ramble about a sport that many of you have little interest in. Now you can understand me and soccer, rugby and cricket lol.
Hud

NBA Talk

Postby Cec » Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 am

Hud wrote:"...A little unrelated sports joke if I may..."

I love sports but sorry I'm not into NBA. I can however contribute another golf joke.

George, the reigning golf clubhouse champion, reluctantly had to explain how he was beaten by a local "hacker" (not a good golfer). Here's the story.

At the start of play, George's opponent declined a suggested 20 stroke start opting to take a two "gotcha" handicap. Whilst not familiar with a "gotcha" handicap, George hesitated but agreed to this offer seeing the game was to be played over eighteen holes and having previously seen the hacker playing.

As George was about to drive off the first tee, the hacker quietly approached him from behind and grabbed him [Edited by Luna - innappropriate] yelling out "gotcha". This distraction resulted in a double bogy for George on this hole.

After the game the members sympathized with George but were curious why he was beaten considering there were still 17 more holes to play.

"Well, put it this way" said George "have you ever tried to play 17 holes of golf not knowing when your opponent takes his second "gotcha".

Cec

This may have ruined the joke but it didn't pass the decency sensor, so was edited - Luna
Cec

Postby underquark » Wed May 03, 2006 8:36 am

Why not allow such words but insist that they are only permissable as part of a Sudoku solution?

Because they are still unacceptable and not pertinent to solving Sudoku - Luna
underquark

Re: NBA Talk

Postby Cec » Wed May 03, 2006 10:25 am

Luna wrote:This may have ruined the joke but it didn't pass the decency sensor, so was edited - Luna

I don't see that it has ruined the joke but no doubt some readers will assume my choice of words was the "four-letter" type (or plural) which as you would know was not the case.

Cec
Cec

Re: NBA Talk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed May 03, 2006 3:38 pm

Cec wrote:
Luna wrote:This may have ruined the joke but it didn't pass the decency sensor, so was edited - Luna

I don't see that it has ruined the joke but no doubt some readers will assume my choice of words was the "four-letter" type (or plural) which as you would know was not the case.

Cec

If it had been the four letter variety the whole post would have been deleted and it wouldn't have been seen at all.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Wed May 03, 2006 4:23 pm

I'm getting thick this time... What's the secret message behind all this?
I've sent you a PM on this

BTW I think Luna has been a tad bit over-sensitive this time... In a recent NBA game, that particular action had just been famously performed by Reggie Evans of Denver Nuggets to Chris Kaman of Los Angeles Clippers. Let's say the word choices of many major sports news sites (which are supposed to have public audiences of all age groups worldwide) were much more liberal and colourful (or should I say colorful) then Cec's original description...:)

BTW Hud's favourite team has just won a game and staved off elimination... Guess he's in a better mood now...:D

I was looking for more upsets to happen but none occured yesterday... Guess I'm a tad bit disappointed...:( More than often I root for the underdogs...
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed May 03, 2006 5:27 pm

udosuk wrote:BTW I think Luna has been a tad bit over-sensitive this time... In a recent NBA game, that particular action had just been famously performed by Reggie Evans of Denver Nuggets to Chris Kaman of Los Angeles Clippers. Let's say the word choices of many major sports news sites (which are supposed to have public audiences of all age groups worldwide) were much more liberal and colourful (or should I say colorful) then Cec's original description...:)

This is the Sudoku Forum. Off Topic conversation is allowed but not to the extent that I'll allow explicit vernacular in Sudoku puzzles or questionable phrases in jokes - you'll be familiar by now with the "Anything goes, but keep it seemly..." part of this section - what happens in NBA games or on other websites notwithstanding.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Chessmaster » Wed May 03, 2006 10:06 pm

udosuk wrote:Points taken Luna - must admit I couldn't really spot that secret word behind that sudoku grid... And agree 100% on your decision to censor it...

I hope the Bulls do good as i am a Bulls fan however they have not won a chamionship since Jordan quit.
Chessmaster

Next

Return to Coffee bar