Football crazy

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby tarek » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:49 am

udosuk wrote:
tarek wrote:For somebody like me living currently in the Midlands .... There is only one team that should be nicknamed "Tigers" ... So consider me NOT a fan ...

These Tigers, or
these Tigers:?:
:D Another good joke !

To make it easier .... I don't follow Rugby league ....

The Leicester Tigers have won so many titles & produced some fine players in the past & present ....

So yes, when you say Tigers .... There is always one team in my mind:D

tarek
tarek

Postby Glyn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:46 am

There's the Everton Tigers (Basketball) and the Telford Tigers (Ice Hockey). Actually only Castleford play at the appropriately named 'The Jungle'.

tarek All the best for your Tigers in the Heineken Cup, as long as they let Ospreys through in top spot.:) For the EDF I'll have to back the Blues (not confidently though) as only one qualifies.:(
Glyn

Postby ttt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:05 am

Hi All,
I was drunk so much, but what happen for Tottenham Hotspur - 2 points after 7...
ttt

Postby udosuk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Since we're talking about nicknames: the MLB team Tampa Bay, since their establishment in 1998, has always used the nickname "Devil Rays", and almost always finished dead last in their division every year. This year, they decided to drop the word "Devil" (thus becoming simply "Rays"), and immediately became one of the top teams in the league, winning the division and getting to the ALCS (i.e. final 4) this year. Talk about getting the devil off your back.:)
udosuk

Postby 999_Springs » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:46 pm

I have noticed that the impressions of Arsenal in the newspapers are rather strange. Every time they win the newspapers are very positive of them, and after beating Sheffield United 6-0 they said that their youngsters were nearly the best ever (I think). But every time they lose the newspspers are very critical of them and they say that their future prospects are limited and that they should not have got rid of so many players over the summer... etc... etc... The newspapers' editors seem unable to make up their mind about Arsenal.

And I can't resist pointing out that Tottenham have half as many points as Derby did at this time last season!
999_Springs

Postby tarek » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:57 am

Glyn wrote:tarek All the best for your Tigers in the Heineken Cup, as long as they let Ospreys through in top spot.:)
Sorry to disappoint you:) .

BTW, It wasn't a good day for Bellamy. But it materialised later that it was all due to the Millenium Stadium pitch:D

tarek
tarek

Postby Glyn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:55 am

tarek wrote:
Glyn wrote:tarek All the best for your Tigers in the Heineken Cup, as long as they let Ospreys through in top spot.:)
Sorry to disappoint you:) .

Ospreys get to play Perpignan before Dan Carter arrives. Will his 30K per week make a difference? Tigers deserved their win.

Re the Millenium Stadium pitch.
The four games in November are far more important for Wales, not the ones with the round ball. Hook's penalty form is more serious.
Glyn

Postby ttt » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 am

Waiting: Belarus vs England tonight
BTW: that’s not fair for A. Cole, on the Sun...
ttt

Postby udosuk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:41 am

Well done England boys, 4 from 4 and 5 points clear of the next rival Croatia.

The next match won't be for another half year. Hopefully they can maintain the form by then.
udosuk

Postby tarek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:32 pm

Talking about crazy matches ....

The Stoke v Tottenham match was something else:D

I've never witnessed the 3 parts of wood-work hit in such a short space of time

talking about seeing everything in a single match .......

tarek
tarek

Postby udosuk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 pm

I think Stoke hit the posts/bar like 5-6 times in the game. Despite that the poor Spurs still lost. They got 2 red cards, conceded 2 penalties, and had their goalkeeper knocking their own centreback twice in the head, the 2nd time KOing him and sending him to the hospital. Despite all that I think Juande gets to keep his job. Don't think a change of manager will save their season, even if they could get Fabio Capello to pick up the ruins.

And the Tigers (not tarek's ones) marched on. Amazing that it will come down to Chelsea to prevent the London clubs from a 0-5 record against a newly promoted team from the northeast.:!:
udosuk

Postby Glyn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:10 pm

5-2 win for Arsenal in the cauldron of Fenerbahce. Goal scorer's ages 24, 22, 21, 19 (Old man:) Walcott) and 17 (new boy A. Ramsey, good footballing name, not Alf though).

udosuk Tarek's Tigers (trips off the tongue well) won at the weekend 60-16 in Italy.
Glyn

Postby udosuk » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:46 am

Glyn wrote:udosuk Tarek's Tigers (trips off the tongue well) won at the weekend 60-16 in Italy.

Yes and congrats to your Ospreys beating Perpignan.

Looking forward to World Series Game 1!
udosuk

Postby Glyn » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:59 am

udosuk Close match today in 'Gozzie Rules' 45(3-6-9)-44(0-12-8) to Ireland in Perth. So there is no need for Ireland to break off diplomatic relations with Australia (at least until next week).

All square in the World Series are you favouring one team.
Glyn

Postby udosuk » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:10 am

No wonder we lost that International Rules match. There was not a single member of the team who's from my local club, the Swans!:( Also we probably lost on accuracy instead of effort (we got 2 more scoring shots than the Irishmen).

In the World Series I support the team who has one of my country men. However I don't want to jinx them by showing too much enthusiasm. A few months back when I was chatting privately with my "American Sports" buddy Hud I've mentioned I supported that team and I think they surprised both of us by fighting their way into the WS, after nearly another choking act against the "kings of comeback" for the last few years.

Gearing up for 20 Premier League matches during the next 5 days. Chelsea (#1) will take on the #2 & #3 teams on the ladder within 3 days. So much can change after these matches. For example if Chelsea & Liverpool draw and Hull & Portsmouth both win their next 2 matches then we could have a promoted team at the top of the ladder. Wondering if this has ever happened before.:!:

Will there be talk about a "Big 5" instead of "Big 4" after this week?
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar