What am I (MJ 1)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby underquark » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:35 am

Anything to do with this fellow (whose museum I will be visitting next Summer)?

In the mid-1930s Delvaux also began to adopt some of the motifs of his fellow Belgian Rene Magritte, as well as that painter's deadpan style in rendering the most unexpected juxtapositions of otherwise ordinary objects.
underquark

Postby Myth Jellies » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:49 am

MCC wrote:Are you a mathematical device:?:

Such as a "calculator":?:

Or an "Abacus":?:

Myth Jellies wrote:
MCC wrote:Are you anything to do with "Death" or "Dying":?:
You could say that I am not a stranger to those concepts, but they are not what I am really all about.

This could be related to batteries going flat.
Sorry, but "no" to all of these.:(

underquark wrote:Guess: Saba Hasan's painting "Letters from Baton Rouge", created in mixed media and from letters (written in Urdu) from her mother:

Anything to do with this fellow (whose museum I will be visitting next Summer)?

In the mid-1930s Delvaux also began to adopt some of the motifs of his fellow Belgian Rene Magritte, as well as that painter's deadpan style in rendering the most unexpected juxtapositions of otherwise ordinary objects..
I glanced at the image and thought you might have it for a second. It fits the first two clues nicely, so you are on the right track. Remember it is not a painting or sculpture (or anything inbetween).

I'll provide a little more detail on the third clue. The woodpecker would be specifically a British green woodpecker, while the shrike would be an Australian shrike.
Myth Jellies

Postby MCC » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:51 am

Are you plumage in some shape or form:?:

The use of the actual plumage in the making of an object:?: or

The depiction of plumage on a badge:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:25 pm

Are we certain the clothing referred to is a jacket? I'm wondering if it's actually a cap. Is it?
emm

Postby Myth Jellies » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:02 am

MCC wrote:Are you plumage in some shape or form:?:

The use of the actual plumage in the making of an object:?: or

The depiction of plumage on a badge:?:
Not from the animal category and not worn, so I am neither feathers nor fancy dress. I am not a representation of those things either.

emm wrote:Are we certain the clothing referred to is a jacket? I'm wondering if it's actually a cap. Is it?
Letterman jacket was one useful article of clothing represented in the second clue. The second useful article has yet to be identified, though it is not a cap.
Myth Jellies

Postby MCC » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:47 am

Myth Jellies wrote:...Letterman jacket was one useful article of clothing represented in the second clue. The second useful article has yet to be identified, though it is not a cap.

Is it a tie:?:

Is it a necktie:?:

Is it a bow-tie:?:

Is it a waistcoat:?:

Is it a cummerbund:?:

Is it a shirt:?:

Is it a jumper:?:

Is it a scarf:?:

Is it a neckerchief:?:

Is it trousers:?:

Is it a suit:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby Myth Jellies » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:31 pm

Call it a suit related to his sporting passion.
Myth Jellies

Postby underquark » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:41 am

Hmm.

David Letterman owns a racing team.
Reference to British Green Woodpecker could obliquely refer to British Racing Green and, hence, racing.

Said woodepecker has a very long, barbed tongue useful for impalling (as per Vald Tepes or Dracula) its victims.

Shrike is also an impaler (qv Hyperion) but Australian shrike is either just another thrush or refers to the SA flag.

MJ says image I refered to looked like it might be it - initially. Said image was a collage and bears a resemblance to a fractal image. Anything to do with spikey Mandelbrot fractal images? Nice pictures here.
underquark

Postby emm » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:18 am

How about the racing cars as the ‘suit’?

They have the logos and could be made of fibreglass or something like that as well as metal. There are a limited no of them, identified by their decals and which team they’re tied to. Faced with a choice / breaks all ties could be the cars disintegrating in a collision. They are works of art I suppose and of no practical use - just burning up fuel and creating noise and pollution. You could have one in your house or garage.

The beautiful artwork posted by underquark could be carnage on the racetrack with broken metal and flames and clouds of billowing smoke. I bet I get a clue for this!
emm

Postby Myth Jellies » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:09 am

Certainly not anything as mathematical as a Mandelbrot, and not a car.

One might look up what exactly those two types of birds have in common

One might look for a word in the first clue that could mean something other than what it seems.
Myth Jellies

Postby MCC » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:12 am

Besides:-

The British Green Woodpecker, and

The Australian Shrike.

Can you also include:-

The Australian Channel-bill:?: and

The Jamaican Cuckoo:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby Myth Jellies » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:18 am

MCC wrote:Besides:-

The British Green Woodpecker, and

The Australian Shrike.

Can you also include:-

The Australian Channel-bill:?: and

The Jamaican Cuckoo:?:

Yes, those work as well:)
Myth Jellies

Postby emm » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:28 am

How about the Bulo Burti boubou - the genolectotype?

Are you anything to do with DNA art?
emm

Postby Myth Jellies » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:59 am

emm wrote:How about the Bulo Burti boubou - the genolectotype?

Are you anything to do with DNA art?

Probably not enough is known of the Bulo Burti boubou to know if its habits would qualify.

You guys are really getting creative with the lettered works of art. Perhaps you are thinking too hard. I am not something that you would normally hang on a wall or place in a frame.
Myth Jellies

Postby emm » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:09 pm

I think we're a bit distracted by the fact that you thought underquark's artwork was the answer.

Are you any kind of work of art that is to be found in an art gallery?
emm

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar