What am I (MJ 1)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby emm » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:50 am

The trail has gone cold on Mr Rainbird, but we're not giving up. Can we have a hint?:)
emm

Postby MCC » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:46 am

Art (Arthur William Matthew) Carney - played Irv Manders in Firestarter - is this the "Art", John Rainbird, played by George C Scott, was after:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby Myth Jellies » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Firestarter is the correct title. Perhaps a little extra googling on that, keeping in mind the second clue, and you will come up with what specifically I am.
Myth Jellies

Postby emm » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:19 pm

I have a niggling feeling that MCC knows more about this puzzle than he is letting on. He was ahead of me with Rainbird and ahead of me with Firestarter - however I remembered asking this way back and wondering if it was an innocent oversight that Myth Jellies didn't include it in the summary of clues...
emm wrote:Are you a jacket in the sense of a protective covering or a shell?
Are you made of insulation material?

I found this

Phantasia Hunt Wds 1980
This is probably one of the most valuable limited edition Stephen King books available. Known as the “Asbestos Firestarter”, 26 lettered copies, signed and dated July 8, 1980, were made wrapped in some aluminium-coated cloth! ... $15,000 - $20,000

Not the mathematical ones - the lettered ones?
emm

Postby Myth Jellies » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:21 am

We have a winner! Actually this very much was a group effort.

Didn't the insulation question come after my summary of clues? If not, it was an innocent omission. I was sort of surprised that no one ever followed up on it as it was a rather distinctive discovery.

1) I am an unusual juxtaposition of categories for my type.
The Categories were Vegetable and Mineral, which is unusual for a book. They are usually all Vegetable (paper & cloth), or sometimes have an Animal (leather or vellum) component. The tricky dual use word here was "type" which meant the type on a printed page.

2) David's clothing signifies. Faced with a choice, it breaks all ties!
David Letterman. A letterman jacket signifies that someone has "lettered". Something to get you thinking of printed material as well as leading you to the lettered asbestos Firestarter edition. There are two books which have an "asbestos edition". One, which is lettered, is Firestarter. The other one, which you can probably guess if you think about it, (Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451) came in a numbered edition, and is the "mathematical one". David's other clothing, related to racing, is called a firesuit and should signify that you are fire resistant which was to help get you to asbestos as well.

3a) Sprinkler systems may be employed to find me.
or alternately
3b) A woodpecker or shrike may be employed to find me.
You all figured this one out. Rainbird is a big sprinkler and irrigation system company. The character John Rainbird was tasked with tracking and capturing the title character and her father. As a bonus, a building sprinkler system might be used to discover and put out a fire.

4) Royalty abounds; if you can see a match, then you've found me.
Titles. Stephen King. Royalties for book, movie, etc. Of course the "match" here is one where you are supposed to close the cover before striking. A definite fire starter.

Here is an interesting eBay article on books and papers made from asbestos. http://reviews.ebay.com/Asbestos-Books-and-Pages_W0QQugidZ10000000000895311
Myth Jellies

Postby MCC » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:06 am

emm wrote:I have a niggling feeling that MCC knows more about this puzzle than he is letting on. He was ahead of me with Rainbird and ahead of me with Firestarter -

Oh no I didn't.

At first I thought the answer was "Rainbird" :
I am an unusual juxtaposition of categories for my type.

Then I was led astray with:
But a Mr. Rainbird was employed to find me.

Which implies the "Art" to be found was within the movie.

Anyways, well done emm:D

MCC
MCC

Previous

Return to Coffee bar