Riddle (sort of)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby RW » Thu May 25, 2006 6:35 am

udosuk wrote:But I cannot be sure if this approach cover the maximum number of unicorns we could put within the field...

Me neither...:(

getting desperate, Hinter wrote:Sudoku (数独, sūdoku?), ...a 9×9 grid made up of 3×3 subgrids (called "regions")


RW
RW
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: 16 March 2006

Postby RW » Thu May 25, 2006 10:32 pm

The really desperate hinter wrote:From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sudoku (数独, sūdoku?), also known as Number Place, is a logic-based placement puzzle. The aim of the puzzle is to enter a numerical digit from 1 through 9 in each cell of a 8×8 grid made up of 3×3 subgrids (called "regions"), starting with various digits given in some cells (the "givens"); each row, column, and region must contain only one instance of each numeral. Completing the puzzle requires patience and logical ability.
RW
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: 16 March 2006

Postby emm » Thu May 25, 2006 11:43 pm

I see the hint RW: 8 x 8 = 64 and we have 64 squares of 3 x 3 and the hypotenuse is 4.24 and the net is 4.25 and we have 65 unicorns so two are in one square and ... so they're done for?


..........................oOo..............................

He was warned, he should have heeded
Now where is he when he’s needed?
Down there in the she-lob’s lair
She’s left his clothes, his shoes … his hair!

She stripped him bare to get the flesh
Her poisons keep his meat quite fresh
She’ll feed upon his juices red
And suck him dry till he is bled.

Now, ain’t it an awful dreadful shame
That spider’s fruit juice he became
But he has no-one else to blame
He really should have played the game!

.......................ooOoo............................
emm
 
Posts: 987
Joined: 02 July 2005

Postby RW » Fri May 26, 2006 7:09 am

emm wrote:I see the hint RW: 8 x 8 = 64 and we have 64 squares of 3 x 3 and the hypotenuse is 4.24 and the net is 4.25 and we have 65 unicorns so two are in one square and ... so they're done for?


Congratulations!!! Seems you can do math riddles after all! That earns you 10 points and an unicorn stamp.

Image

RW
RW
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: 16 March 2006

Postby emm » Fri May 26, 2006 7:39 am

Cool! This is the first math prize I have ever won.:D
emm
 
Posts: 987
Joined: 02 July 2005

Postby RW » Fri May 26, 2006 9:10 am

To keep this thread alive, here's a less math related riddle. Complete the sentence:
Name is O____, not R____, ___!


A hint can be found by solving this unique solution puzzle:

Code: Select all
 *-----------*
 |9..|..6|...|
 |...|...|678|
 |..5|4..|...|
 |---+---+---|
 |65.|..3|...|
 |..3|21.|.4.|
 |..4|...|.5.|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|.34|.67|
 |87.|...|...|
 |...|.5.|..9|
 *-----------*


RW
RW
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: 16 March 2006

Postby emm » Sat May 27, 2006 4:50 am

All I can see here is that O is the 15th letter of the alphabet = sum r1 and R is the 18th letter of the alphabet = sum box 4.

Is this going to get me anywhere?
emm
 
Posts: 987
Joined: 02 July 2005

Postby MCC » Sat May 27, 2006 2:21 pm

This puzzle does not seem to be unique. I've got as far as this, with 4 solutions

Code: Select all
*--------------------------*
 |9  8  7|3  2  6|45 1  45|
 |34 34 2|5  9  1|6  7  8 |
 |1  6  5|4  7  8|3  9  2 |
 |-------+-------+--------|
 |6  5  8|7  4  3|9  2  1 |
 |7  9  3|2  1  5|8  4  6 |
 |2  1  4|6  8  9|7  5  3 |
 |-------+-------+--------|
 |5  2  9|8  3  4|1  6  7 |
 |8  7  1|9  6  2|45 3  45|
 |34 34 6|1  5  7|2  8  9 |
 *-------------------------*

But what then, I don't know.


MCC
MCC
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: 08 June 2005

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Sun May 28, 2006 5:54 am

RW wrote:"A hint can be found by solving this unique solution puzzle:"

I'm not much good at sussing these riddles out but I suspect RW's hint that this puzzle has a "unique" solution was intended to be a "clue" to this riddle - if you know what I mean:?: That said I'm still none the wiser to a solution!

Cec
Cec
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: 16 June 2005

Postby udosuk » Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 pm

Having no idea about the mystery behind the sudoku puzzle, I just want to make some wild guesses about the riddle::D

Name is Othello, not Reversi, Poms!
Name is Ocean, not River, Sea!
Name is Oprah, not Ricki, Lake!

I'm sure others can make up more imaginative sentences...:)
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Postby RW » Sun May 28, 2006 8:59 pm

Sorry I haven't answered earlier, I've been away for a couple of days and now I can see that you are a bit stuck on this one.

udosuk wrote:Name is Othello, not Reversi, Poms!
Name is Ocean, not River, Sea!
Name is Oprah, not Ricki, Lake!


No, no, no.

emm wrote:All I can see here is that O is the 15th letter of the alphabet = sum r1 and R is the 18th letter of the alphabet = sum box 4.

Is this going to get me anywhere?


Sorry, nothing to find there...

MCC wrote:This puzzle does not seem to be unique. I've got as far as this, with 4 solutions


Aah, you must be mistaking this for one of those puzzles with numbers 1-9 once in every row, column and box... Well, now that you mention it, it does slightly look like one of them, but I'm afraid it's not.:(

Cec wrote:I'm not much good at sussing these riddles out but I suspect RW's hint that this puzzle has a "unique" solution was intended to be a "clue" to this riddle - if you know what I mean That said I'm still none the wiser to a solution!


The puzzle does have an unique solution. Find the logic that solves it and you have found the logic that solves the riddle. I'll give you a little help:

Hinter wrote:r1c3=7


RW
RW
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: 16 March 2006

Postby udosuk » Mon May 29, 2006 3:13 am

I think the unique solution could be this:
Code: Select all
987656789
876545678
765434567
654323456
543212345
654323456
765434567
876545678
987656789

And suppose the hidden logic is "palindromes", then the sentence could be:
Answerer wrote:Name is Orton, not Rosie, man!

No idea whatsoever about the meaning of this though...:(
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Postby RW » Mon May 29, 2006 8:49 am

udosuk wrote:And suppose the hidden logic is "palindromes", then the sentence could be:

answerer wrote:Name is Orton, not Rosie, man!


No idea whatsoever about the meaning of this though...


Good work udosuk, I didn't expect the answer quite that fast! Yes, it was a unique palindrome puzzle (all rows, columns and diagonals must be palindromes) and the sentence is correct.:D Sorry, it doesn't have any deeper meaning, just some guy named Orton who is frustrated because someone keeps calling him Rosie. I couldn't find any good palindrome including the word 'sudoku', maybe someone else on this forum can...

RW
RW
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: 16 March 2006

Postby udosuk » Mon May 29, 2006 11:35 am

I think the trickiest part of this is, you posted a puzzle in this format...
Code: Select all
*-----------*
|...|...|...|
|...|...|...|
|...|...|...|
|---+---+---|
|...|...|...|
|...|...|...|
|...|...|...|
|---+---+---|
|...|...|...|
|...|...|...|
|...|...|...|
*-----------*

... and assumed anyone to NOT treat it as a sudoku puzzle, before you gave the hints... So after you posted the hints I removed all the grid lines and the relationship between the cells became much more visible...

Besides "a grid of palindromes", it has also the following 2 properties:
  1. All adjacents cells are consecutive (it's what got me going into filling up most cells, and great fun in the process)
  2. Each entry is in fact the length of the shortest orthogonal path from the particular cell to the centre cell.
Thinking about a palindrome involving sudoku...
UK OD us forever of sudoku...
Something along that line...
udosuk
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: 17 July 2005

Postby RW » Mon May 29, 2006 12:45 pm

I indeed am a tricky bastard, I left the box lines there intentionally to make it harder. Honestly, I didn't assume anyone to not treat it as a sudoku puzzle before I gave a hint (evil laughter while stroking the white cat in my lap).

udosuk wrote:Besides "a grid of palindromes", it has also the following 2 properties:
1. All adjacents cells are consecutive (it's what got me going into filling up most cells, and great fun in the process)

2. Each entry is in fact the length of the shortest orthogonal path from the particular cell to the centre cell.


That was to make it easier. I think it would have been rather impossible to find the palindrome logic if the initial puzzle would have been

Code: Select all
 *-----------*
 |7..|..2|...|
 |...|...|215|
 |..9|4..|...|
 |---+---+---|
 |29.|..6|...|
 |..6|83.|.4.|
 |..4|...|.9.|
 |---+---+---|
 |...|.64|.21|
 |51.|...|...|
 |...|.9.|..7|
 *-----------*


Time for another one? This one might be to hard, but if you are at all like me you should be able to figure it out. This one is actually true:

Code: Select all
   123 456 789

  *-----------*
A |7.8|..1|6..|
B |.3.|.5.|..2|
C |...|4..|9..|
  |---+---+---|
D |.8.|7..|..9|
E |..3|...|7..|
F |16.|##4|.3.|
  |---+---+---|
G |..6|..8|...|
H |.1.|...|.7.|
I |...|5..|8.6|
  *-----------*


What am I?


(This is a sudoku puzzle with many solutions, but the riddle has only one.)

RW
RW
2010 Supporter
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: 16 March 2006

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar