Postby Ruud » Fri May 19, 2006 10:17 pm

ImageNot looking...
Ruud

Postby udosuk » Sat May 20, 2006 1:16 am

tarek wrote:For the football-mad udosuk (& myself) the answer is:
Magpies
I must add that they were 5 last year:D

tarek

Being 5 last year ain't good enough for this list... But I still think Michael Owen is a great player... Better than Becks...

And I'm surprised nobody answered "Reds", which of course would have still been wrong...:!:

Ruud wrote:There is also Flea, the bass player of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A band name with 4 words, starts with Red. His real name is Michael Balzary.

IMHO this answer is a much much smarter one than my attempted ones, which weren't completely right anyway... So to be fair I have to forfeit my point to Ruud (if I could do so)...
udosuk

Postby tarek » Sat May 20, 2006 5:28 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:And - since quite evidently I need to clarify the situation - that was a joke (nil points etc).

Not everybody watches the Eurovision song contest where 2 years ago GB was the recepient of the absolute total of [language=French][accent=English]Zero points[/accent][/language]
:D

tarek
tarek

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat May 20, 2006 8:58 am

tarek wrote:Not everybody watches the Eurovision song contest where 2 years ago GB was the recepient of the absolute total of [language=French][accent=English]Zero points[/accent][/language]
:D

tarek

I don't watch it either, but since it is European I thought the concept was familiar to most.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Ruud » Sat May 20, 2006 11:43 am

What's more amazing is the fact that GB can get away with zero points, because they are guaranteed a place in next years final.

Despite all your heartwarming support, im still not looking at emm's riddleImage

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby emm » Sat May 20, 2006 7:34 pm

What I want to know is how you could get zero points in a song contest? How badly did they sing?

Luna – sorry for my not nice comment. I was just kidding. Everyone knows that the last word we would apply to you would be the b word – that is if we ever did apply a word. Not that we ever would.:D

udosuk - for showing me up by being nice and generously donating your virtual (since you didn’t actually get one) point – you receive the Really Unassuming Ultrafriendly Donation badge which is way better than a point anyway. It will dazzle other contenders and improve your chances of success. Well done for being so nice.:D

Ruud - put your toys back in the sandbox and come and play.:D

r.ae is what emm should get for being a rabble-rouser

So much smiling!
emm

Postby MCC » Sun May 21, 2006 8:15 am

emm asked, how do you get zero points in a song contest? How badly did they sing?

How badly someone sings is not really a criteria, there have been some truely dire songs in the past but have done well in the marking.

In the main, it's politics that matter, neighbouring states tend to vote for each other.

The were 37 countries entered, whittled down to 24 for tv.

Each of the 37 countries could award: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-10 or 12 points to the final 24.

So a country could have a decent song but not get any points just by being out of favour politically.

Click here to see the lyrics of the song that the UK sung.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sun May 21, 2006 1:26 pm

It gets stretched further and further... But I just wanna point out what MCC links to is UK's entrant for this year's competition, which is won by a "monster" rock band from Finland... cool! See this link...

The year when UK scored zero was actually 2003 (3 years ago), see this link...

I'm revealing my answers... You guys can keep guessing the logic behind them...

Puzzle 1:
Fire
Panda
Fish
Swallow
Antelope

Puzzle 2:
Pensioners
Gunners
Devils
Rovers
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sun May 21, 2006 4:15 pm

udosuk wrote:I'm revealing my answers... You guys can keep guessing the logic behind them...

Puzzle 1:
Fire
Panda
Fish
Swallow
Antelope

These refer to 'The Friendlies', the mascots of the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing.

The five mascots are:

BeiBei - A blue fish.
JingJing - A black panda.
HuanHuan - A fire red character depicting the Olympic flame.
YingYing - A yellow Tibetan antelope.
and
NiNi - A green swallow.

If you put the first syllable of each word together you get:

Bei Jing Huan Ying Ni, which says 'Welcome to Beijing'.

MCC
MCC

Postby Chessmaster » Sun May 21, 2006 4:41 pm

pretend you have been sentenced to death. you can choose between one of three rooms in which to die in. one is a room full of gunmen. another is a room of fire. the other is a room full of lions that have not had anything to eat for 3 years. which one would you choose
Chessmaster

Postby Ruud » Sun May 21, 2006 4:46 pm

chessmaster wrote:pretend you have been sentenced to death. you can choose between one of three rooms in which to die in. one is a room full of gunmen. another is a room of fire. the other is a room full of lions that have not had anything to eat for 3 years. which one would you choose

I'd choose the room with the lions, but keep my nose closed.:(
Ruud

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun May 21, 2006 5:17 pm

Chessmaster wrote:pretend you have been sentenced to death. you can choose between one of three rooms in which to die in. one is a room full of gunmen. another is a room of fire. the other is a room full of lions that have not had anything to eat for 3 years. which one would you choose

Room full of gunmen.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Ruud » Sun May 21, 2006 10:18 pm

here lies a riddle,
another one made by emm.
she offers me a medal.
but not even for a gem
will I take this hurdle
and have a look at them.
Ruud

Postby tarek » Sun May 21, 2006 10:26 pm

udosuk wrote:Puzzle 2:
Pensioners
Gunners
Devils
Rovers

The ONLY clubs winning the Premiership in its new format..........

Good for Rovers, they qualified to the UEFA cup following a good season.

tarek
tarek

Postby MCC » Mon May 22, 2006 8:46 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:
Chessmaster wrote:pretend you have been sentenced to death. you can choose between one of three rooms in which to die in. one is a room full of gunmen. another is a room of fire. the other is a room full of lions that have not had anything to eat for 3 years. which one would you choose

Room full of gunmen.

Luna

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
Mae West
MCC

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar