Riddle (sort of)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Re: Riddle (Sort of)

Postby tarek » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:34 am

Cec wrote:During conversation we often say "I am" or "you are" or "she/he/it is". Is it ever correct to say "I is.......

if I is an object rather than referring to myself, then the sentence should be correct IMO.

tarek
tarek

Postby RW » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:00 pm

cec wrote:My comment was intended in a light hearted manner to acknowledge my appreciation for your participitation. It now seems I should have simply said "Thank you RW for participating".

My comment was also intended in a light hearted manner, but it seems the wrong emoticon made it look likesomething else... You wouldn't get a genuine "angry" comment out of me that easily.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby MCC » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:14 pm

cec wrote:During conversation we often say "I am" or "you are" or "she/he/it is". Is it ever correct to say "I is.......

It is correct if 'I' is a noun.

Such as: I is the ninth letter of the Alphabet.

MCC
MCC

Postby Cec » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:33 pm

tarek wrote:"If I is an object rather than referring to myself, then the sentence should be correct IMO.

Alas! I lack the expertise of others in knowing how to correctly word these riddles. Therefore, given my wording of this riddle and tarek's reference to an "object" I'd have to say your answer is correct. Perhaps the "mystery" as to what the "object" is could be permitted to allow some more time for yourself and others to complete the sentence "I is............"

PS Ah. I now see MCC has posted the correct answer which completes the riddle. I'm not game enough to say who won - it's all meant for a bit of fun and breathing space prior to the next "Advanced brain teasers" which are usually beyond me to solve, but certainly always interesting.

Cec
Cec

Re: Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:24 am

RW wrote:Your paragraph is just as odd and unusual as this paragraph! How confusing... I must think about it for an hour or two to find a satisfying solution.:)

Cec wrote:
RW wrote:
Cec wrote:sorry RW to change your concentration so quickly

Don't worry, if you read my answer to the previous riddle you'll notice that I already had solved it and I should have got the "well done" instead of Luna:!:

Well.. actually, I didn't "notice" that you had solved the riddle which Luna correctly answered.

With a clearer head today and a worrying conscience, I must correct an error where I failed to detect the subtleness of RW's above post which conveyed knowing the answer to this riddle. I should have also detected RW's added comment to "think about it for an hour or two" which I believe was so worded to give others more time to consider the riddle. Well done to both RW and Luna for solving this riddle.

Cec
Cec

Postby tarek » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:46 am

Cec wrote:I now see MCC has posted the correct answer which completes the riddle. I'm not game enough to say who won - it's all meant for a bit of fun and breathing space prior to the next "Advanced brain teasers" which are usually beyond me to solve, but certainly always interesting.

It's easy Cec, MCC gave the answer you wanted, MCC wins & gets a gold medal..... If there were more than one correct then you have to pay for extra Gold medals:D:D

tarek
tarek

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:53 am

Cec wrote:During conversation we often say "I am" or "you are" or "she/he/it is". Is it ever correct to say "I is..."

Another approach is:
"I is hungry...", uttered my 2-year-old nephew who is not so fluent in English yet.

Although the toddler hasn't spoken correctly the sentence as a whole was just telling the story as it happened...
udosuk

Postby Cec » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:14 pm

tarek wrote:"It's easy Cec, MCC gave the answer you wanted, MCC wins & gets a gold medal..... If there were more than one correct then you have to pay for extra Gold medals:D:D "

Thank you tarek for your recognition that MCC deserved the gold medal - I actually thought so too. My "dilemma" in choosing a winner arose from my poor choice of words in the riddle where I asked .."Is it ever correct to say "I is..." As such, a simple "Yes" answer from anybody would have been a correct answer although such an answer was obviously not what I had in mind when I posted the riddle. So well done MCC in winning Gold.

As pointed out by udosuk if a 2-year old can answer the riddle by saying "I is hungry" then we might need more Gold medals.:)

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Apologies to Cec.

What is the capital of:
Iceland
India
Ireland
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Italy
Ivory Coast

'I' is.
(groan)

Internet Information Services

IIS which I assume is pronounced 'eye-is'.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:22 pm

MCC wrote:What is the capital of:
Iceland
India
Ireland
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Italy
Ivory Coast

'I' is.
(groan)

I thought 'I' is actually the initial, which happens to in capital case... I haven't actually seen people refer to the first letter of a word as capital (maybe my 2-year-old nephew will do so...:!: )
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:31 pm

I know, that's why I added the groan, it's a riddle a young child might pose.

MCC
MCC

Riddle (Sort of)

Postby Cec » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:15 am

MCC wrote:Apologies to Cec.
"What is the capital of:
Iceland
Internet Information Services
IIS which I assume is pronounced 'eye-is'.

Keep this up and you'll lose your medal..:) relax.. I'm still laughing:)

Cec
Cec

Previous

Return to Coffee bar