Riddle (sort of)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Mon May 22, 2006 10:54 am

Mae West wrote:Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

My lips are sealed:)

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon May 22, 2006 4:26 pm

MCC, I think we have minors here (Chessmaster & Pi)... But I'm sure it was Luna's attempted answer that gave you all sort of ideas...:)

And thanks MCC & Tarek for explaining my puzzles correctly. Gold stars to each of you...:D
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon May 22, 2006 4:58 pm

udosuk wrote:MCC, I think we have minors here (Chessmaster & Pi)...

Indeed we do, but it passed the censor (I'm feeling generous, today!)

udosuk wrote:But I'm sure it was Luna's attempted answer that gave you all sort of ideas...:)

That was an honest answer:D

Perhaps Chessmaster will be able to enlighten us as to what the answer actually was.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Ruud » Mon May 22, 2006 5:37 pm

Maybe it's past Chessmaster's bedtime...

I did not want to comment on my answer too soon.

Lions that have not eaten in 3 years should be dead. They may smell worse than alive, but I must be able to pass them without any trouble.

Luna also made a smart choice. She must be able to moderate away those guns.

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby emm » Mon May 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Ruud,
I cannot make you look
If you do not want to do it.
The riddle won’t be solved
So long as you eschew it.

But if you have a change of heart
Your prize is not a gem
This reward is for yourself
So here’s a clue.
from emm.

The answer lies in listening
And something that’s been said
The little word looks strange I know
But that’s just in your head.

The censor was generous - no r.ae!
emm

Postby Chessmaster » Mon May 22, 2006 10:06 pm

Ruud wrote:Maybe it's past Chessmaster's bedtime...

I did not want to comment on my answer too soon.

Lions that have not eaten in 3 years should be dead. They may smell worse than alive, but I must be able to pass them without any trouble.

Luna also made a smart choice. She must be able to moderate away those guns.

Ruud.

thats the answer. also i just live in america so i do not know what time it is where you are and i have also not been on for a few days.
Chessmaster

Postby Ruud » Tue May 23, 2006 12:14 am

A new riddle to fill the void:

Long time ago there lived a king who had six sons. The treasure of the king was stored in a fortress with multiple rooms. Each room contained a number of treasure chests, equal to the number of rooms in the fortress. Each chest contained a number of gold pieces equal to the number of chests in the room. When the king died, the royal hairdresser inherited one of the chests with its gold pieces.

Was it possible for the king's sons to divide the remaining gold pieces in six equal parts?

Ruud.

the tricksy lady Emmsy
again she tries to fool me
tempts and teases on and on
to lure me in the webs she spun
says she wants me to play
but I keep looking away

Ruud

Postby RW » Tue May 23, 2006 8:32 am

chessmaster wrote:pretend you have been sentenced to death. you can choose between one of three rooms in which to die in. one is a room full of gunmen. another is a room of fire. the other is a room full of lions that have not had anything to eat for 3 years. which one would you choose

Ruud wrote:Lions that have not eaten in 3 years should be dead. They may smell worse than alive, but I must be able to pass them without any trouble.

And then what? So you pass the lions, but the riddle clearly says that you will die in that room, there is no way out. Would you really want to slowly starve to death together with a bunch of smelly lion corpses? I think the gunmen could provide a more pleasant way to die. Then there is of course the question of How full the room is of lions. Is it filled with corpses all the way to the roof, or just the floor covered?

Ruud wrote:Was it possible for the king's sons to divide the remaining gold pieces in six equal parts?

Yes, but I'm not going to tell how quite yet.:)

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 23, 2006 8:49 am

RW wrote:I think the gunmen could provide a more pleasant way to die.

Now, thaaaaaaat's what I was thinkin':D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Tue May 23, 2006 9:00 am

That'd surely depending on what sort of person you're... In Luna's case it might be true...

Ruud wrote:Was it possible for the king's sons to divide the remaining gold pieces in six equal parts?

It's always possible to divide the gold pieces in 6 equal parts! Let n be the number of gold pieces in each chest, then there're n^2 gold pieces in each room, n^3 gold pieces altogether in the fortress. After giving one chest to the hairdresser, there are (n^3-n)=n(n^2-1)=(n-1)n(n+1) gold pieces remaining, i.e. the product of 3 consecutive integers. No matter what we'd have a multiple of 2 and a multiple of 3 among those 3 factors, so the product is always divisible by 6...:idea:
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 23, 2006 9:34 am

udosuk wrote:

That'd surely depending on what sort of person you're... In Luna's case it might be true...

What does that mean ? *hands on hips/pout*

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Tue May 23, 2006 9:51 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:

Luna

LOL... I said that based on your comment above... So if you care to elaborate and explain that comment, no matter what reasons you have would be exactly what I meant... Fair enough?:D
udosuk

Postby Ruud » Tue May 23, 2006 10:59 am

well done RW and udosuk. udosuk has the correct explanation, RW did the gentleman thing not to give it away immediately.

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby RW » Tue May 23, 2006 12:06 pm

If you like pure math problems, then here's another one:

On a 24m x 24m field there is 65 unicorns. The evil Dalton brothers are approaching with a circular net, diameter 4,25m. Is it possible for the unicorns to spread out on the field in such a way that the Dalton brothers couldn't catch at least 2 horns in the net? The tips of the unicorn horns are always pointing up on the same height above ground.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 23, 2006 2:17 pm

udosuk wrote:
lunababy_moonchild wrote:

Luna

LOL... I said that based on your comment above... So if you care to elaborate and explain that comment, no matter what reasons you have would be exactly what I meant... Fair enough?:D

Fair enough:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar