Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby Hud » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:54 pm

It'll be interesting to see if Steve Nash keeps his new "do". He played in a charity game in Vancouver recently and all the guys had on shorts that almost reached their ankles.

It's related to baseball, but the wood has a different meaning. The answer has been in the news quite a bit in this country the last couple years.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:11 am

About the riddle, could it be Rafael Palmeiro, #9 on the all time homer list?:?:

Is it supposed to be a person anyway?
udosuk

Postby Hud » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:29 pm

Wrong #9. The answer is based on a player. I owe you a hint since I got a little vague.
Splendid Splinter

I caught a snippet on the sports yesterday that the Suns signed a large body. I believe I heard he's from New Zealand? I'm not sure.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:15 pm

Alright, that hint is a big giveaway...:)

Now I recall hearing about all the news of that frozen body and such...

Perhaps you would like to elaborate your 5 initial hints a little... My brain's too tired from excessive sudoku activities lately...

And the New Zealander (the "Tall Black") the Suns signed is Sean Marks, who has played well for the Spurs...

NZ beat the Aussies pretty well in a friendly series recently, so either the Aussies really "suk" (I believe this more) or the NZ are back to their world #4 form in 2002... Watch out USA...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:13 pm

OK, here's an explanation:

1. Terrific piece of wood (splendid splinter)
2. Almost absolutely cool (stored near absolute zero degrees)
4. Called twice (served in US Marines during WW2 and Korea as a pilot)
5. missing something (They couldn't afford to freeze his whole body, so only his head is preserved)

I barely heard the report about Sean Marks. I never considered the possibility that there are "blacks" in New Zealand. My son's wife's brother's ex wife is a Maori though.

I'm looking forward to the World Championships this year, mostly since I can discuss it with you. I hope the games are competitive, and I believe they will be.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:55 pm

The infamous all successful New Zealand Rugby Union team (who just defeat Australia last night) is called the "All Blacks" because their jersey is totally black... Although there are many Maori and Samoan origined players (and also from other Pacific islands) in their team I don't think the "Black" has anything to do with their skin colour. As a result they named their men's basketball team to "Tall Blacks" for the familiarity in pronounciation (their uniform is mainly black too)... As far as I know more than half of their basketball players are of European origin...:!:

Hud wrote:They couldn't afford to freeze his whole body, so only his head is preserved...

That's not very nice... Imagine the man "wake up" one day, only to discover his trunk is gone... So what are they planning to do? Build a robotic body or clone him and replace the head on it?

Here is the roster of the 15-man roster of the USA team:
http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2006/06_mwc_roster.html

Would like too know your thoughts... 5 of them are from the 2003 draft (Lebron, Wade, Melo, Bosh, Hinrich)... Also, didn't know Gilbert Arenas was from your behated Uni of Arizona... And would you still like Joe Johnson? Which 3 do you think will get cut leaving the final 12?
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:31 pm

Sorry about my confusion about "The Blacks". For some years African Americans were called blacks in the US.

I just can't decide whom to cut from the roster yet. I sort of think that the roster will be whittled down by injuries and personal time conflicts of the players. I like Joe Johnson a lot, but don't believe he was of "superstar" status. Maybe time will prove me wrong. I do like him for his defense though. I like Bowen for his D also and hope the team takes D into account. I'd much rather see them field a hardnosed defensive team than a showboating jumpshooting team.

Lute Olsen (sp) has turned out a lot of very good players during his time with the UofA. ASU has turned out some also, but they never seemed to have a coach who could rival Lute. Frieder came close, but some of his players turned out to be bad apples, and he was sacrificed for that.
Hud

Postby emm » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:02 am

Re your basketball player who wants to preserve his head :
You could live to be 1000! (if you can just hang on for a few more years while they get the technology sorted)

They’ve already extended the lifespan of a roundworm from 2 weeks to 20 weeks ............
emm

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:26 am

emm, that was a baseball player...:) But I wouldn't be surprise if some basketball players would want to preserve their head if they didn't know about that live extending technology...:!:
udosuk

Postby MCC » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 am

Why worry about the frailty of the human body, just wait until computer technology has advanced enough so that the human mind can be downloaded to a machine then you could live forever:D
You could even backup your mind every so often so that you'll have a restore point in case of a major crash to the system:D

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:30 pm

You mean like Matrix Reloaded?:)

Now who gets to be the system adminstrator? And moderators?:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:42 pm

I don't think MCC's theory is too far fetched. I also wouldn't be surprised if we are all some sort of self replicating, biological machines. I think we may have tried to cram too much processing power into too small a space, and we get too many glitches up there.

The US men's basketball team seems to be a well adjusted group. It looks like Kobe Bryant will miss this years world games though. I still have no idea how 3 players can be cut from the team. The team had a scrimage against Puerto Rico yesterday, and played very well. PR beat us the last time we played them, in the Olympics I believe.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:58 pm

As far as I know Kobe Bryant was not among the 15-men squad, and he's not allowed to replace anyone on it even if there were injuries...

Who do you think are the best 5 starters for the team? Lebron/Wade/Amare plus 2 more?
udosuk

Postby Hud » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:00 am

That's a pretty tough one to figure (at least for me). I don't like Amare as a true center, so I'd take someone else to fill that role. I also don't think Wade is a true point guard, so I'd take someone else for that also. I suppose I'd take Brad Miller as center and Joe Johnson as point guard to fill out a starting 5.
The paper had an article this morning about Kobe sitting with Jerry Colangelo during the scrimage with PR. To me, that tells a lot about Kobe since JC is really a character guy. I don't know about him personally, but he tries to surround himself with character people.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:10 am

For me it's hard to define who's character and who's not... From what I read they're flaming Kobe for addressing the team as "they" and not "we"... I think that's taking it a bit too far there...

Wade is definitely a shooting guard, and Amare a power forward but could play center when they're pressing full-court... Joe Johnson I think is more a shooting guard too... I think they said Chris Paul is the team's #1 point guard...

So my starting lineup(s) would be:

Short and fast mode:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Dwayne Wade
SF: Lebron James
PF: Carmelo Anthony
C: Amare Stoudemire

Big and slow mode:
PG: Gilbert Arenas
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Elton Brand
PF: Dwight Howard
C: Brad Miller

With Chris Bosh and Kirk Hinrich as backups...
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar