Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby Hud » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am

Tracy, don't eat em yet. I think when the Heat breaks through, they could win 2 or 3 games at home, then who knows what would happen?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:12 am

Tracy, seeing where you're from, I suppose you're a Pistons supporter and suspect you secretly (or not) would like to see the Heat go down too...

Anyway we're all sure Wade/Shaq will both bounce back... Any news of Shaq hard-practising his FTs?:D

Oh BTW sorry about USA's performance against the Czech... But I doubt you pals care much...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Very little in the newspaper today about what the Heat plans to do tonight. I believe they will win tonight and if it's by a large margin, it could carry over. The article did state that Riley canceled practice and they studied film yesterday. I winced when the Heat player, Haslem, landed hard on his left shoulder in Sunday's game. I fell on ice many years ago, and landed on my shoulder, and my arm was useless for quite some time. They say he'll play though. I doubt it, but we'll see.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:11 am

Well, the Heat did get 1 back, with an incredible 4th quarter comeback to win by 2. I still can't believe Dirk, with a few seconds to go, missed a FT when down by 1... This and Shaq made a couple earlier (he shot 4/6 FTs, much better than the 1st 2 games)...

I wonder if that's the Heat's best effort, if so the Mavs should win in 5 or 6... Riley made the good decision to assign the major load to Wade... Now it's Avery and the Mavs' turn to response... And I can't see why they couldn't...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:13 pm

Yeah, the Heat almost lost that one. I didn't feel like watching the game go into OT. I wonder why the Heat turns the ball over so much? Aside from Shaq, they shot crappy from the freethrow line also. I think the only message they sent to the Mavs was that the Mavs are probably the better team. Dampier had another very nice game.

I don't know if you've heard this story about Shaq, so I'll repeat it anyway. Shaq's biological dad left the family when Shaq was young and his mom married an Army guy. Shaq always considered him his dad. After Shaq got into the $ and got famous, his bio dad showed up to try to gravy train off Shaq. Shaq told him in so many words that he wasn't his dad. I may have some minor details wrong on this, but it's basically true.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:07 am

This gives you some info about Shaq.

This contains a photo featuring Shaq's step-dad, who "counselled" Shaq into an improved FT shooting.

It also shows a photo Boris Becker interviewing Dirk... Which surprised me as I think he'd be either staying home watching soccer or going to London to watch tennis...

Any prediction for tomorrow's game?
udosuk

Postby Hud » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Wow, that Wikipedia is pretty thorough. The article on Shaq was interesting. He also got a tour of the jail facilities here in Maricopa Ciunty by Sheriff Joe Arpiao. I believe he was named a deputy sheriff, but I'm not certain.

I was surprised to see Haslem play as long and effectively as he did. I couldn't raise my arm at all when I injured mine. He must be a pretty tough hombre.

I've been giving it quite a bit of thought, and I'm reluctantly picking the Heat again. I see the Heat taking better care of the ball; making a higher percentage of FTs (except for Shaq), and I don't believe the Mavs can continue to make a high percentage of their jump shots. OK, udosuk, what does your crystal ball say? In the southern hemisphere, which direction does the aura rotate around the crystal ball? Up here it's counterclockwise.

OK, enough of my silliness; I accidentally watched the last 5 minutes of the hockey game last night. I'm no hockey fan, but at least guys who play in the finals seem to know what they're doing with the puck. An Edmonton Oiler Player stole a pass while shorthanded and scored on a breakaway. I may just watch the last quarter of the next game at Edmonton.

The D-backs are supposed to be featured in a newspaper article today about some of their former players who were quietly let go mostly due to steroid use. My lousy paper deliverer hasn't shown up yet, so we're taking a walk and hope it'll be here by then.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:18 pm

"The aura rotating around the crystal ball" is as stationary as dead water here...:D

Okay I'll try my luck... Dallas by 1 pt in 2OT... Probably not going to but would like the excitement...

Looks like more and more baseball players will be associated to drugs... Probably the current situation is just a tiny tip of the huge iceberg...

Haven't followed the Stanley Cup in a long time... The last time I looked the Red Wings were still ruling... But just discovered (:!:) there is a team called the Phoenix Coyotes... Probably not a cherished adopted child for you guys...:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:06 pm

The steroid article turned out to be overblown hype. No names were mentioned and really nothing new was discussed.

The Phoenix Coyotes were previously a team based in Edmonton. It has never won much and it's funny that a new Edmonton Team is in the finals. The Coyotes have been given an ultra-modern arena out near the new Cardinal Stadium. It's close to a 30 mile ride to get there from where I live, and it's all cross city driving. I don't expect to ever get to a Coyote or Cardinal Game.

I see Barry Bonds has a little left in his tank since he hit a home run in last night's game.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:02 am

A 24 point blow-out... Dirk hacked to 2/14 FG... Exact opposite of what I guessed... But you got it right Hud, well done...

Those who predicted Heat in 6 could still be right, and Tracy's words need not be eaten just yet... But if the Heat won at the end then the missed FT from Dirk at the end of game 3 could prove to be the critical turning point in the series...:!:

I think if the Mavs couldn't contain Wade under 30 pts then they're doomed... But the referees in the Miami home court surely are blowing the whistle much much differently than in Dallas...:(
udosuk

Postby Hud » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:24 pm

I got a couple things right last night, but the Heat still turned the ball over more than I'd have liked. They missed their share of FTs, but probably made a higher percentage than the previous game (I'll have to check). Just checked, and they didn't do well with the FTs. It seemed like someone put a lid on the basket when Dirk and Howard shot.
I'll take the Mavs in the next game. For the first time in a while, they may be feeling backed to the wall. I look to them playing Wade very tough and physical. Shaq may get more points, but I agree Wade has to be contained more. I'll betcha Dirk has a breakout game like he did against the Suns following a sub-par game, and he attacks the basket much more. The way the Mavs have lacked the "killer instinct" I wouldn't be surprised to see them go win-lose-win. It should be fun.

It was my turn to give out some karma in the World Cup. Ecuador appears to be doing well for my hemisphere. I suppose Brazil has to be reckoned with also though. The paper said the US team may not have been ready for the Czechs. That sounds familiar.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Stackhouse got suspended in game 5 (for hard-whacking Shaq), but they got Mbenga back which means 6 more fouls for the Hack-a-Shaq plot... The Mavs better win, otherwise it would put the Heat in the driver's seat, and it's hard to see Wade denied twice in Dallas when everything's on the line... How about a 3-pt record breaking game for Dirk? I think he should shoot more 3s to draw Haslem/Shaq away from the basket and maybe giving Terry/Harris some space to slash in...

Ecuador is a surprising force and a serious threat to Germany... But Brazil was disappointing against the Croatians, and I suspect they'll take their frustration upon us (Aussies)... If we somehow manage a draw then I don't wanna be Japan as Brazil's final opponent in the group...

US plays Italy tonight... I never like Italy for their boring defensive style but it works solidly and good luck to you guys... Anyway if you (the US team) don't score tonight there's a good chance you'll get some next against Ghana...

Last night Argentina bashed Serbia 6-0... A very delightful performance... To all you guys who think soccer is boring I guess this kind of matches is what you need...
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:06 am

There went my predicted 1 pt OT game (okay I guessed 2OT and the game was supposed to be won by Dallas)... I don't think there is any doubt that the Miami defense has Dirk's number... Terry and Howard both had great games but Wade was once again the saviour... The Mavs still have a chance but it's the Heat's series to lose now... And I'm feeling sick to my stomach...:(

And the Oilers drew the Stanley Cup Final 3-3... Think the Mavs could do the same?
udosuk

Postby Hud » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:30 pm

Doggone it, now I have to turn in my wizard hat. I felt pretty strongly that the Mavs would win, but Wade is blossoming into a true superstar. Dirk didn't take my "go to the hoops" advice, but it probably wouldn't have worked anyway. Their outside jumpshooting really kept them from going to the FT line also. I wonder who will show up for game 6? Seeing as how the game will be in Dallas, maybe the refs will even things up a little. Maybe Stackhouse will come back with a vengeance (bad choice of words?), and spark the team.

I was thinking about something last night. Where would the Heat be without Wade? Now I appreciate what the Suns accomplished without Stoudemire. Man, I hope he makes it back next season.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 am

As I said, I'm feeling sick to the stomach, and don't really desire to say anything more until (unless) the Mavs win the next 2 games...

[Edited after the series]I here declare to stop posting in this thread (which is mainly a 2-way conversation between Hud & me). Kudos to Tracy for making a bold prediction that turns out right... Hud could add anything he wants as a final note...
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar