Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby Hud » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:13 pm

Re: Kobe, I just meant that his rep wasn't the greatest due to the Shaq and Boulder incidents. I'm sure the press blows all these things out of proportion.

News just out: Amare is not going to the Worlds due to a sore hip, lack of explosiveness when leaping, and is expecting his second child sometime soon.

I didn't think JJ was a true point guard either, but he has played it some. I guess I'll replace Amare with Elton Brand of the Clips.

I think I read that the team will play in Japan and Korea shortly? I had a chance to see Bob Hope and later, Jane Russell when I was in Korea. I didn't bother to go see either, but I should have gone to see Bob Hope. Jane Russell was already quite a way over-the-hill by then.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:28 pm

Could it be the Phoenix management don't wanna risk Amare for the next NBA season? I think many of those people are quite narrow minded about those matters... (Are you sure Amare is out? I didn't find any news...)

The USA team I think will play some friendlies in China and Korea. And the world champs tournament is held in Japan...

Here is their schedule...

Notice the "Hoops for Troops" events... I'm sure you guys didn't have these opportunities back in those days (I suppose it's war time:?: )... You didn't happen to be stationed at one of those 2 camps (Yongsan/Casey)?
udosuk

Postby Hud » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:54 pm

I read about Amare being out in The Arizona Republic this morning. I suppose there might have been some shady reasons for keeping him out, but I'm not sorry to see him not trying to go full tilt this early. I hope some of the games are televised here, and assume some will be shown.

I was stationed at Camp Casey in early 1957 in the 7th Div, I've heard of Yongsan, but don't know where it is. I have some pictures of Casey taken from a mountain behind our company. I was later stationed near Uijeongbu in an area that was heavily wooded (unusual for S. Korea at the time). I think it was near Pupyungni (spelling probably bad, but pronounced that way. If memory serves me (doubtful), Casey was near Dongducheon. I have some good photos of the forest. There were many mound shaped tombs in the forest that we assumed were of royalty or nobility. I'll never forget the rainy season (monsoon?) there in early spring. Old land mines left from the war would wash down creeks and explode quite often. I also knew a sergeant who stepped on a mine while hunting pheasants near the DMZ.

I hope this isn't too boring, but it was almost 50 years back.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:14 am

With Amare out I guess I'll promote Dwight Howard to the "short and fast mode" lineup which is my more favored... Chris Bosh will get to the 2nd lineup ("big and slow")... And Bruce Bowen will get the backup spot (I don't like him much for he's already 35... But still he's probably a better choice than Shane Battier or Antawn Jamison...)

I guess Amare's dropping is good news to other teams... Don't know who you guys would send to stop Dirk now... Howard is still too young and Brand is a bit too small...

Your story about mines in DMZ had me recalled the last James Bond film, where there is this huge satelite-mirror blowing up all the mines with the reflection of sunlight...:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:54 pm

Not much new news about the US BBall team, but I read that the Suns are very close to extending Barbosa's contract. It said 5 years for $33 million. They are reported to be far apart trying to extend Diaw though. The Suns really don't want to have to get into a bidding war over Diaw, but it looks inevitable to me.
While in China, the US will play the Brazilian team. That should be a better test than PR was. Some of the Eastern European teams would be a much truer test imo.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:39 pm

In soccer some of the clubs in the "big leagues" (e.g. England, Italy, Germany, Spain) would detest players who beat/play well against their nations in international tournaments (e.g. Ahn Jung-Hwan of South Korea who scored and eliminated Italy in 2002)... I wonder similar things would happen for NBA teams... (Well the Spurs don't seem to have any problem with Ginobili...) But I guess Diaw would like to play well for France against Barbosa's Brazil to prove he's the better player...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:31 pm

I know the fans don't hold it against players playing well against the US in international tournaments. I suspect the players also have no problem with it. I've never heard anyone express ill feelings about it either.

So far the US Team seems too good to be true. The players seem to genuinely like playing together. There was a nice article in today's paper where the players were raving about how nice it is to play in D'Antoni's Offense. Joe Johnson especially credited D'Antoni for his success. I'll have to see how the players accept adversity when it happens.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:34 pm

USA tonight beat China (without Yao) by 46 points... But they'll face a much bigger challenge tomorrow against Brazil...

It seems Wade+Lebron+Melo is a 2-3-4 trio too strong for anyone to stop right now... They say coach K has to appoint a captain soon... Who do you think it should be? I think Lebron James is pretty hungry for that role...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:48 pm

That's an interesting question about appointing a captain. I suppose I'd take Bruce Bowen since he's an older hand, and I really like his defensive mindedness. I wonder how Lefron would do in a leadership position? Some commentators have questioned his "killer instinct" late in games, but I didn't see any problems with him in the playoffs. I'm anxious to see whom coach K picks.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:57 pm

I think the captain will be chosen among the big 3 (Wade/Lebron/Melo)... I doubt if Bruce Bowen could even make the cut to 12... I suppose a requirement for a captain is to get a considerable amount of court time, to provide on-court leadership...

Have you look at my basketball riddle? I'm surprised you haven't commented on it...:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:21 pm

I looked at the b-ball riddle quickly, but I didn't feel like dusting off my algebra yet. Maybe I'll give it a go later.

I just heard a report that Amare asked coach K if he could go to China, and return home for his second kid's birth, then return to the team. Coach K refused, so basically, Amare left the team. It was also reported that he wouldn't have beaten out the closest competitor (I don't recall his name).

Fifty years ago today a 17 year old guy joined the army. I was even thinking about going to helicopter pilot training, but got out after 3 years. My wife said I'd be dead if I'd stayed in. She doesn't reealize the danger I get into daily on various golf courses.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:06 am

Closest competitor of Amare? Could be Chris Bosh, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard or Antawn Jamison (don't suppose he'll be competing the 5-spot with Brad Miller)... Also Carmelo Anthony will get the 4-spot in my starting lineup but is more naturally as a SF...

Like your wife, I don't realise the danger on golf courses could compare to that on battlegounds...:)
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Hud, get prepared for some bad news... USA (just) beat Brazil 90-86 tonight... And Carmelo Anthony got injured and left the game...

I think the rest of the world still have a good chance at the trophy... Unless Shaq, Kobe, Iverson, Duncan, Kidd etc all play I don't think the "Dream Team" is that invincible...

BTW I see why Barbosa is valued so much now... And also several other Brazilian NBA players shone too, including Varejao from the Cavs... It's a pity 4 of them got fouled out at the end, otherwise I think they'd have won... They outscored USA 16-0 at one stage, and only lost the momentum when an argued call gave USA 4 straight technical FTs... Also Joe Johnson scored the winning FT at the end... It's a good game for the Suns fans...:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:50 pm

Wow, Brazil sure played us tough. I hope Carmelo isn't badly hurt. Maybe this is the wakeup call that we knew would come eventually? I'm glad we got the Barbosa deal done quickly, and I feel that if Diaw plays well in the Worlds, his stock will rise to a point that the Suns won't be able to afford him. That's the way the business is nowadays except for the hated Knicks.
I really liked Varejao in the playoffs. Maybe he'll come up in an option year?
Man, I wish I was taking algegra in night school again. I'll betcha your "Shaquillina" puzzle would make a good topic.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:08 am

After writing her name several times I grew to like it... I might consider naming my baby "Shaquillina"...:) (But what if she doesn't grow to a 7 ft tall giant?:D )

It seems Carmelo isn't seriously hurt and the team does need him badly... Now they'll play Lithuania and Korea (the latter won't play in the WC) in Korea... Let's see how they'd handle Lithuania...
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar