About Ikea

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby ikea-spokesperson » Sun May 20, 2007 12:01 pm

[quote="underquark"]
You'll be telling us next that beef Wellington is named after the famous Swedish boots and that Baclava is actually named after the Swedish head garment of similar name. Sounds like a load of köttbullar to me.

Isn't Baclava a Turkish dessert?
I see you used those two dots above the "o". Do you have a Swedish computer?

Other famous Swedish musicians include Steppenwolf (Bjorn to be wild), Underworld (Bjorn slippy) and Bruce Springstein (Bjorn in the U Sweden A) - the latter's real name is Lars Elkstrom.
ikea-spokesperson

Postby ikea-spokesperson » Sun May 20, 2007 1:55 pm

999_Springs wrote:Also, are there any 16x16 not-all-singles Su-Dokus wth the pattern:

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

ikea-spokesperson

About Ikea

Postby Cec » Sun May 20, 2007 3:17 pm

Hi ikea-spokesperson,
A friendly suggestion... if you insert the {quote}at the beginning of the quotation and the {/quote} at the end (I've had to use these brackets to explain this) then using the correct brackets thus [ ] the quotation will look like this....
MCC wrote:I've never been, I've only seen their catalogue and their products do not appeal to me. Maybe they're catering for a younger market.

Cec
Cec

Postby 999_Springs » Sun May 20, 2007 6:09 pm

ikea-spokesperson wrote:
999_Springs wrote:
Also, are there any 16x16 not-all-singles Su-Dokus wth the pattern:

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

NO. It's the wrong size, the wrong pattern and it's an all singles.

underquark wrote:Yes, but there are 2 screws and one dowel the wrong length and 93 extra panel pins.

What do you mean!?

ikea-spokesperson wrote:5. There are no traffic lights.

Where is the source to this statement? I can hardly believe this!
999_Springs

Postby underquark » Sun May 20, 2007 10:29 pm

999_Springs wrote:
underquark wrote:Yes, but there are 2 screws and one dowel the wrong length and 93 extra panel pins.

What do you mean!?
I can't actually explain it as there are no written instructions; only a picture of a fattish bloke in bib-and-brace and something that might be a 2cm-long screwdriver.

You don't need a Swedish keyboard to type special characters. ╬
underquark

Postby ikea-spokesperson » Mon May 21, 2007 1:29 am

5. There are no traffic lights.

Where is the source to this statement? I can hardly believe this!

I did say they were unbelievable facts.

Why do you think that Volvos are so sturdy and that airbags were invented in Sweden? There are so many traffic accidents at junctions that it is important to have a car built like a tank.

Also there's the problem of all the wandering elks. Have you ever hit an elk while travelling at 50 mph? Do you know how much damage an elk can do to a normal car? In order to combat the problem, the Swedish government are currently installing GPE (Global Positioning Elk) in all the elks in an attempt to cut down on elk/vehicle crashes.
ikea-spokesperson

Re: About Ikea

Postby udosuk » Mon May 21, 2007 6:18 am

Cec wrote:if you insert the {quote} at the beginning of the quotation and the {/quote} at the end (I've had to use these brackets to explain this)...

No, you can use square brackets and have the [quote] & [/quote] displayed no problem.:idea:

999_Springs wrote:16. In Room 28 of Ikea Wembley, the microwave is placed directly on top of the fridge, which is wrong.

My microwave is placed directly on top of my fridge. Can any kind person give me a reliable source explaining what harm it can bring? (Yes I mean it seriously.)

underquark wrote:You don't need a Swedish keyboard to type special characters.

ö: Type Alt+"0246" on numpad
╬: Use the "Character Map" program to copy and paste this character. The Unicode number is U+256C.
udosuk

Postby Bigtone53 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:38 am

9. Magnus Magnusson the famous Swedish host of TV's Mastermind, came from Norway.

Poor old Magnus must be spinning in his Kirkjugarðar at this!
Bigtone53

Postby ikea-spokesperson » Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 am

I see Bigtone has also got a Swedish computer.
ikea-spokesperson

Postby mikejapan » Mon May 21, 2007 1:30 pm

999_Springs wrote:
16. In Room 28 of Ikea Wembley, the microwave is placed directly on top of the fridge, which is wrong.

I agree 100% with this.

My fridge/freezer is two metres tall and if I put the microwave on top, I'd have to jump up and down to check if my food was cooked.
mikejapan

Postby underquark » Mon May 21, 2007 2:38 pm

mikejapan wrote:My fridge/freezer is two metres tall and if I put the microwave on top, I'd have to jump up and down to check if my food was cooked.
Doesn't yours go "beep" or "ping" like most microwaves? You could stand on an IKEA chair. You could even lean at 3.75° to the vertical if you wanted to insert a special character.
underquark

Postby mikejapan » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 pm

...........but, the flex wouldn't be long enough to reach the power point.
mikejapan

Postby MCC » Tue May 22, 2007 8:33 am

mikejapan wrote:...........but, the flex wouldn't be long enough to reach the power point.

I wonder if IKEA sell extention leads:?: If not, you can get a four way extention lead, £4.99, from Argos.

MCC
MCC

Re: About Ikea

Postby udosuk » Tue May 22, 2007 9:27 am

udosuk wrote:
999_Springs wrote:16. In Room 28 of Ikea Wembley, the microwave is placed directly on top of the fridge, which is wrong.

My microwave is placed directly on top of my fridge. Can any kind person give me a reliable source explaining what harm it can bring? (Yes I mean it seriously.)

It looks like I've found my own answer in this link.
The author to the link above wrote:Do not place objects on top of refrigerator.

It's probably a standard protocol in Japan (especially the Tokyo Metropolitan area), as the possibility of earthquakes makes putting things on top of fridges dangerous. Since the possibility of earthquakes in Australia is not that high, I think I'm pretty safe with my microwave oven on top of my refrigerator (btw I'm a 6'4" basketball player so height is not a problem for me).

If 999_Springs is not too disgusted to post anymore in this thread, I truly hope he could shred some more lights for the above comment ("which is wrong"). At the moment I think this "hazard" makes as much sense as a Swedish furniture retailer employing an English teacher from Japan as the spokesperson.
Last edited by udosuk on Tue May 22, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
udosuk

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:27 am

I see Bigtone has also got a Swedish computer.

I may do but the word in question is Icelandic.
Bigtone53

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar