What am I? (16)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:01 am

I've numbered the clue: 1, 2 and 3.

I did say it has nothing to do with transport in any way whatsoever, didn't I:?:

With clues 2, 3 and 4, you have to think more generally.

Clue: 4
Robinson Crusoe
The Count of Monte Cristo
Don Quixote
Wuthering Heights
Crime and Punishment
David Copperfield
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Coloin, does I.P., indicate internet protocol, then the answer is no.

MCC
MCC

What am I (16)

Postby Cec » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:21 pm

After much searching and thinking this is where I am:
MCC wrote:Clue: 1
1 x 12 = 12
2 x 12 = 24
3 x 12 = 36
4 x 12 = 48
5 x 12 = 60
6 x 12 = 72
7 x 12 = 84
8 x 12 = 96
9 x 12 = 108
10 x 12 = 120
11 x 12 = 132
12 x 12 = 144

Columns of tables. Missing x and 8x12=96 still a mystery.
Clue: 2
Rolls Royce Arsenal FC Special
Daimler EL24 Convertible
MGB GT
1965 Jaguar 'S' Type
Lotus Elan
AC Buckland Tourer

As road transport has nothing to do with answer then is the Arsenal FC (Football Club) relevant?
Clue 3
Tuscan; Doric; Ionic; Corinthians and Composite.

Some of these names are related to Greek architecture, eg. Doric "columns", also Tuscan islands includes the Isle of Monte Cristo which is mentioned in Clue 4 below? Both Corinthians and Rolls Royce Arsenal FC (Clue 2 above) are football clubs. Any relevance here?
MCC wrote:Clue: 4
Robinson Crusoe
The Count of Monte Cristo
Don Quixote
Wuthering Heights
Crime and Punishment
David Copperfield
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

These appear to be classical novels and include "The Count of Monte Cristo". Any relevence to Isle of Monte Cristo in Clue 3?

The above is as far as I can get.

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:26 pm

Ok Cec, clue: 4 is a list of classical novels but what about clues:2, 3 and 5(coming up):?:
They are examples of:?:

Clue: 5
The 2000 Guineas
The 1000 Guineas
The Oaks
The Epsom Derby
St. Leger stakes

You are looking for one word and you have already mentioned the word, it's common to clues: 2, 3, 4 and 5. (You may think of the short version of the word, but it's the longer version of the word I want you have in mind).

With this one word look again at the first part of the first sentence of the riddle.

With clue: 1, the number is important - it is know as - 'The ________________'.

What does the 'x' stand for:?:
Try reading the list out loud and see if this helps:)

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:00 pm

I have a tendency of interpreting things too simply... Certainly opposite to some pals here who tends to over-complicating stuffs...

I'm guessing - the word implied by clues 2..5 is classical (short version being classics) and clue 1 refers to the word times (x)... So is the answer classical times? Still no idea about the number 96 or the original riddle though...:(
udosuk

What am I(16)

Postby Cec » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:34 am

MCC wrote:..You are looking for one word and you have already mentioned the word, it's common to clues: 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Still a mystery but I'll say the word "The".

MCC wrote:..With clue: 1, the number is important - it is know as - 'The ________________'.

I'm still confused because there's more than just one number.? If "12" is the number you're referring to (it appears on every line) then I don't know what it is called.

MCC wrote:..What does the 'x' stand for:?:

I'll say "times" as already mentioned by udosuk which gives my answer as "The Times"

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:45 am

udosuk wrote:I have a tendency of interpreting things too simply... Certainly opposite to some pals here who tends to over-complicating stuffs...

I'm guessing - the word implied by clues 2..5 is classical (short version being classics) and clue 1 refers to the word times (x)... So is the answer classical times? Still no idea about the number 96 or the original riddle though...:(

They were:
Clue 2 - Classic cars
Clue 3 - Classical architecture
Clue 4 - Classic books
Clue 5 - Classic horse races

Clues 1 and clues 2-5 are seperate entities.

Clues 2-5, as one unit, were to give you a single word - classical - which udosuk has got.

Classical is a hint for the first part of the first sentence of the riddle. Getting this will lead you to understanding the first sentence in total and give you a word.
This word is the second word of the answer.

MCC wrote:Sounds busy for former taxi-drivers. It's a bad thing.

Clue 1, x = times is relevant, but you need to know what the list is called to make use of this fact.

Once you have solved this, the number in bold will become relevant.

In fact, once you solved clue 1, and gone where it leads you, you'll find the answer to the riddle mentioned somewhere in the text.

MCC
MCC

What am I ?(16)

Postby Cec » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:16 am

Brain now in over-drive - hoping I'll still be left with 81 cells:) Here's what I'm concluding which doesn't seem right...
MCC wrote:Clue 1, x = times is relevant, but you need to know what the list is called to make use of this fact.

I see the list as "multiplication tables" but can't advance further.

MCC wrote:Once you have solved this, the number in bold will become relevant.

Cec wrote:"..I'm still confused because there's more than one number..."

Still confused but I did think of this... No 96 was a popular TV drama in Australia and is/has been shown in England... As I recall, this show raised a few eyebrows in "going too far" hence some viewed it as "a bad thing". Conclusion? Ex-taxi-drivers now glued to the TV watching No. 96 because they never had time before to watch it. That said.. I couldn't advance further but perhaps the following leads to something?
MCC wrote:"In fact, once you solved clue 1, and gone where it leads you, you'll find the answer to the riddle mentioned somewhere in the text "

OK..I've also noticed this: 8 x12 = 96
Clue 2 mentions ... 1965 Jaguar 'S' Type
This shows 96 is between 1 and 5 (read 1am and 5am) which is usually a "busy time" for taxi-drivers. Again, I still can't find the one word to complete the riddle "Classical ....."

I'm a good sport so if anyone has spotted the answer I don't mind getting a bronze medal unless udosuk (already has the Silver medal) knows the answer but is remaining humble:)

Cec
Cec

Re: What am I ?(16)

Postby MCC » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:10 pm

Cec wrote:
MCC wrote:Clue 1, x = times is relevant, but you need to know what the list is called to make use of this fact.

I see the list as "multiplication tables" but can't advance further.

One multiplied by twelve equals twelve
Two multiplied by twelve equals twenty four

'Multiplied by' seems a bit cumbersome, try something shorter.

cec wrote:
cec wrote:"...I'm still confused because there's more than one number..."

Still confused

Ok Cec, how about this then.
8 x 12 = 96

MCC wrote:"In fact, once you solved clue 1, and gone where it leads you, you'll find the answer to the riddle mentioned somewhere in the text "

cec wrote:...Again, I still can't find the one word to complete the riddle "Classical ....."

What can you listen to:?:

Think along those lines and apply it to - the first part of the first sentence of the riddle.
MCC wrote:Sounds busy for former taxi-drivers. It's a bad thing.

cce wrote:I'm a good sport so if anyone has spotted the answer I don't mind getting a bronze medal unless udosuk (already has the Silver medal) knows the answer but is remaining humble:)

Cec

Cec, I don't think Udosuk has got the answer yet but has helped to move things on a bit.

MCC
MCC

Postby Crazy Girl » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:25 pm

here's my penny's worth - "Classical ......" is what we have so far,

so refering to OP & clue 1,
how about music wasn't there vinyl records 8inch and 12inch, not sure where the 96 comes in though:!: (vinyl a bit before my time)

also isn't 'busy music' often referred to as hip-hop and maybe not liked by taxi drivers:?:

other than this I currently have no:idea:
Crazy Girl

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:27 am

So, here we know, the answer is 2 words, but classical is not one of them.

Is the 2nd word music or something similar?

Is the concept that the taxi-drivers are former not current important?

Is the 1st word related to the number 8 only but not to 12 or 96?

Is there any association to musical vocabulary such as octave or tempo?
udosuk

What am I?916)

Postby Cec » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:05 am

Busy day in attending other matters before resuming this riddle .....

udosuk wrote:So, here we know, the answer is 2 words, but classical is not one of them.

Is the 2nd word music or something similar?

Hi udosuk,
Reading that part of MCC's following quote which I have highlighted in red I'm sure "classical" is the correct first word of this riddle which you had previously detected:
MCC wrote:Clues 1 and clues 2-5 are seperate entities.

Clues 2-5, as one unit, were to give you a single word - classical - which udosuk has got.

Classical is a hint for the first part of the first sentence of the riddle. Getting this will lead you to understanding the first sentence in total and give you a word.
This word is the second word of the answer.

MCC wrote:What can you listen to:?:

Quite a few things such as "Music", "Radio" etc. but "Music" would be my first choice which gives the answer as "Classical Music" which is what udosuk has came up with. However, because I still can't work out the relevance of the number 8 then I suspect the second word isn't "Music" but some other word.
MCC wrote:With clue: 1, the number is important - it is known as - 'The ________________'.

MCC wrote:Ok Cec, how about this then.
8 x 12 = 96

In mathematical terms I believe "96" is known as the "product" but I don't know what the other two numbers (8 & 12) are known as to complete the hint 'The _____________'. I still can't figure out the importance of the 8.

What am I missing?????

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:55 am

Talk about mountains out of mole-hills:(

The clues are hints in how to solve the riddle.

The riddle is basically made up of two sentences and three parts.

The first sentence comprises two parts and is the second word of the riddle.

The second sentence is the first word word of the riddle.

The answer to the riddle is two words.

udosuk wrote:So, here we know, the answer is 2 words, but classical is not one of them.

That is true.

udosuk wrote:Is the 2nd word music or something similar?

The second word is not music, but classical music is what to bear in mind when looking at the first sentence of the riddle.

udosuk wrote:Is the concept that the taxi-drivers are former not current important?

Yes. Think job title.

udosuk wrote:Is the 1st word related to the number 8 only but not to 12 or 96?

No, the first word is not related to a number.

udosuk wrote:Is there any association to musical vocabulary such as octave or tempo?

Yes, but don't bother with taking this any further at the moment it will only lead you astray.

Crazy Girl wrote:so refering to OP & clue 1,
how about music wasn't there vinyl records 8inch and 12inch, not sure where the 96 comes in though (vinyl a bit before my time)

You could say that there is musical element behind this but a long time before any recording devices were developed.

Crazy Girl wrote:...also isn't 'busy music' often referred to as hip-hop and maybe not liked by taxi drivers

Not sure if this is true, but again, way too modern.

I refer you back to clue 1:
Clue: 1
1 x 12 = 12
2 x 12 = 24
3 x 12 = 36
4 x 12 = 48
5 x 12 = 60
6 x 12 = 72
7 x 12 = 84
8 x 12 = 96
9 x 12 = 108
10 x 12 = 120
11 x 12 = 132
12 x 12 = 144

Forget about the bold 8 and the eighth line for the moment.

What do you call this list:?:

MCC
Last edited by MCC on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:58 am

MCC wrote:I refer you back to clue 1:
1 x 12 = 12
2 x 12 = 24
3 x 12 = 36
4 x 12 = 48
5 x 12 = 60
6 x 12 = 72
7 x 12 = 84
8 x 12 = 96
9 x 12 = 108
10 x 12 = 120
11 x 12 = 132
12 x 12 = 144

Forget about the bold 8 and the eighth line for the moment.

What do you call this list:?:

It's the twelve times table.

Luna
Last edited by lunababy_moonchild on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:08 am

Hurray, at last:D

As Luna as succinctly put it - It's the twelve times table:D

1 x 12 = 12
2 x 12 = 24
3 x 12 = 36
4 x 12 = 48
5 x 12 = 60
6 x 12 = 72
7 x 12 = 84
8 x 12 = 96
9 x 12 = 108
10 x 12 = 120
11 x 12 = 132
12 x 12 = 144

Now you know it's the twelve times table can you complete the rest of the clue - and it's nothing to do with line eight yet.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:28 am

Looks like the answer could be reached via 2 different routes. I'll leave the Twelve Times Table route for luna & others to follow, and focus on the classical music route...

Are concept such as symphony or orchestra relevant?

Job title of former taxi-drivers? Like ex-taxi-drivers (ecstasy something:?: ) or ex-cab-drivers, ex-cabbies if there is such a word?

I cannot see the connection between classical music to that first sentence...:( Putting them together, "Classical music sounds busy to former taxi-drivers"... Doesn't make sense to me...:( (I did mention I tend to think things over too simply...)

More clarification please?

Oh, did I forget to mention I've absolutely no expert knowledge in classical music or generally any music (unlike RW:) )...

PS: Sorry, just got some insight into the Twelve Times Table concept, and will share it for others to follow up...

Now, Times Table sounds like Timetable, which relates to time and with the 8th line - does it have something to do with 8 o'clock? Probably another red herring, but anything's worth a try...

PS2: Just occured to me that former taxi-drivers could also mean people who transported passengers around in ancient times... What were they called? Horsemen?
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar