sudoku.org.uk

Sudoku puzzles, off-site games and other resources on the Internet

Re: sudoku.org.uk

Postby GreenLantern » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:44 pm

The Competitions Tab is working again as of Sunday, August 2!

Just submitted today's Daily Sudoku #3675 (Diabolical) successfully. Looking at my Submission History, it now shows Total Correct Submissions: 336 along with "Missed" submissions from July 19 through August 1, the period of time the Daily Sudoku Competition was unavailable.

Surprisingly, the "missed" submissions did not automatically knock me off the Roll of Honour which currently shows everyone with the usual 350 correct submissions label. Perhaps that is all part of the ongoing effort at crediting everyone for the unavailable puzzles.

Good job, Splash Software at bringing back Sudoku Online! Thank you for not disappearing for good on us. :mrgreen:
GreenLantern

Postby Nemesis. » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Ditto

Thanks Splash :mrgreen:
Nemesis.

Postby rstadel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Agreed...great job Splash / Trevor Bond.

So one last thing...hopefully they can get the Advanced Puzzles link to work.
rstadel

Postby Greer Watson » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:14 pm

No, alas. There's one more "last thing".

I just tried to upload the results for the three Sunday dailies; and the last one got an error message. It didn't take long to realize that the puzzles had shifted to Monday. The site is currently running on GMT instead of Eastern, meaning that the Monday puzzles are now up, even though it's only 7 p.m. here.

I've e-mailed Trevor about it.
Greer Watson

Postby Smythe Dakota » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 am

I noticed the Kakuro page is doing the same thing -- making tomorrow's puzzle available hours early.

On the other hand, why was the site ever on Eastern (American continent) time to begin with? As it's a British site, GMT would have seemed normal.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby ptournier » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:34 am

Ugh, thought it was just me being unable to access Sunday's longed-for and much missed sudoku despite it's being well ahead of the midnight EDT cutoff. The "Contact Us" form doesn't work either, keep getting an internal server error. Glad to learn someone's contacted them through other means about this glitch, hope the miss on Sunday 2 August won't count against us.
This forum has been wonderful for news and connecting with fellow addicts. Grateful it's back up, at keast for Monday, looking forward to getting a daily puzzle fix and maybe to being able to play a few days ahead donetime soon! Thanks to all on this forum for sharing!
ptournier

Postby Greer Watson » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:53 am

Bill, I think the answer to your time-zone query is maximal convenience. For us (not them). Or at least for those of us who live on either side of the Atlantic.

If you look at it one way, the old puzzles are due by midnight EST, which means that people in eastern North America have until bed time to get the day's puzzles in. But if you look at it another way, the new puzzles are posted at 5 a.m. GMT, which means that people in Europe have a new sudoku to get up to. In other words, for both groups, the change happens overnight.

(Of course, for people on the other side of the globe, it's a bit less convenient.)
Greer Watson

Postby Nemesis. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 am

Does anyone know a way to enter the results of advanced killer puzzles other than to go via the advanced tab? I have found a way to print advanced puzzles so I have plenty to keep me going, however I will be away for a couple of weeks in September and need to file my puzzles early.....

I was lucky enough not to miss the puzzles too much over the last 2 weeks as I had already printed my September puzzles, so was working on them.

I haven't been able to use the Splash forum page for a few years now, I presumed it was my problem. However, I plan to keep using this forum, and hope others will.

(btw I'm UK)
Nemesis.

Postby janpuls » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:36 am

I missed yesterday puzzles ( Sun 02 Aug) had looked in the morning but never thought it would come up on a Sunday. However have submitted today's puzzles.

Well done for getting the site up again.

Hopefully all pages including advanced puzzles will be up soon.

I live in the Uk & don't have a problem about the timings of puzzles. The date change is at 5am here, so they are available first thing in the morning & we have the leeway of being able to submit until 5 in the morning.

This forum has been great for the info sharing
janpuls

Postby beachcomber6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Advanced Puzzles are now available to view and print; I haven't had time to try submitting a solution yet though!
and we are still on UK time ....
beachcomber6

Postby Nemesis. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:16 pm

beachcomber6 wrote:Advanced Puzzles are now available to view and print; I haven't had time to try submitting a solution yet though!
and we are still on UK time ....

Thanks, I've just sent my 4 August puzzle to test it, and all was accepted ok - I only do the killers btw

So good to get it back......................................... 8-)
Nemesis.

Postby beachcomber6 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:45 am

..and we are now back on US EST, so everything(?) back to normal

thanks to Splash, and all the people on this Forum for helping me through a difficult time!!!
beachcomber6

Postby shamanalix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:22 am

Archives and Contact Us tabs still don't work. But the 30-day Jigsaw Sudoku calendar lets me access the recent squigglys once again! Thank you!!!! So good to have my favorite puzzle site mostly back!

PS: On the time zone problems, are you able to reset zones to your own location on your personal Settings? Just wondering ...
shamanalix

Postby Sarah L » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am

shamanalix wrote:Archives and Contact Us tabs still don't work. But the 30-day Jigsaw Sudoku calendar lets me access the recent squigglys once again! Thank you!!!! So good to have my favorite puzzle site mostly back!

PS: On the time zone problems, are you able to reset zones to your own location on your personal Settings? Just wondering ...

I believe the time zone is the one selected by the site owner (Splash?) to determine when the new puzzles are put out, and the cut off times for submitting contests. The action seems to happen at 11 pm or 12 midnight ET, which is 5 hours later in the UK (GMT), that is 4 am or 5 am. I think the site does it once, so everyone gets new puzzles each day, same time (but not the same as ET, of course), and gets the same amount of time for puzzles in the competitions. I do not know that the site owner acts on ET, as I do not know where they are! They might be in the UK releasing in the early morning. One of the posters here noticed that the time of first new puzzles coming on was different than before the site disappeared.
I do not do the competitions myself, but I do look for the new puzzles. I do not believe this is changeable by us, the users, nor particularly useful to change it. Once you know the times for your time zone, you can rely on the times for new puzzles to appear, and competitions to begin or end. Does that make it clearer?
Sarah L

Postby bbrd303 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:59 pm

I was not credited for the missed unavailable sessions. So, I fell down the standings. It may be that only the 350's got credited, which messes up the rankings for everyone else. :?:
bbrd303

PreviousNext

Return to On the web