Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Sports talk

Postby Cec » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:25 am

Cricket.
I agree udosuk that Stuart Clark's omission from the Australian One-day team is hard to understand and with Shane Warne's retirement I wonder why Stuart McGill didn't get the selector's attention. I've seen stats printed somewhere which show McGill's Test figures are very compatable to Warne's figures in comparison to the number of overs bowled/wickets taken etc. His omission from Test selection is strange indeed.

Golf
My reference to "sledging" was in relation to the poor sportsmanship of some players who back-chat opposition players. On the other hand players uttering profanity words against themselves when playing a bad golf shot or bowling a bad ball or poor strokemaking are simply showing annoyance with themselves which I never thought as "sledging".

Cec
Cec

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:59 am

Cricket 3rd ODI vs New Zealand
Australia 5 wickets for 346 after 50 overs.. Matthew Hayden 181 no. We could be a chance for a win this time.

Cec
Cec

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 pm

I'm still in shock on just learning another amazing win by New Zealand after being 4wickets down for 41 when I stopped watching the game on TV to attend other matters. Apart from Nathen Bracken, with our other bowlers being smashed all around the ground I'm rethinking my previous opinion of Brett Lee who wasn't bowling too badly after all. The only consolation was the series only went to three games.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:45 pm

It's actually quite funny watching Australia on a 6 losses in 7 matches slump... No doubt the bowling is the key problem here... Perhaps Shane Warne should come back out to rescue the Aussies in the World Cup?:)

It seems many of the "record run chases" are against Australia... I still remember a couple years ago when South Africa chased 400+ runs against them... I guess they have the batting strength to post a big score in the 1st inning but don't have the bowling attack to protect the target in the 2nd...

Ricky Ponting (or whoever acting as captain) likes to bat first if given the choice... It also gives their batsmen less pressure and more opportunities to make centuries... But perhaps he should consider to change to a "bowl first" tactic to ease some pressure on their bowlers...

On golf, I wasn't referring spitting out profanities as sledging, but just wondering if the players would get fines for that... Apparently they won't... IMHO, talking to players after their bad shots, i.e. gamesmanship/playing mind games/psychological strategies should be allowed, provided the language used is clean and isn't racially-related or involving the object's wife/mother/mother-in-law etc (okay maybe not the third:D )...

In basketball, a sport full of trash-talking, a player would expect to get a earful from opponents or teammates after missing a easy layup or blowing a dunk or getting blocked stuffingly... Also, if a player is taking a crucial free throw, the opponents (and their fans) would try their best to upset the shooter's focus... Hard to imagine how Tiger Woods would react if he's trying on a winning putt on the 18th and a spectator yelling at him just as he makes contact with the ball...:)
udosuk

Sports talk

Postby Cec » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:48 am

udosuk wrote:"...In basketball, a sport full of trash-talking, a player would expect to get a earful from opponents or teammates after missing a easy layup or blowing a dunk or getting blocked stuffingly... Also, if a player is taking a crucial free throw, the opponents (and their fans) would try their best to upset the shooter's focus... "

This behaviour, both by players and spectators, is also firmly engrained in AFL Football, and whilst it seems unsporting (to me anyway) I can't envisage it will ever be removed from these particular sports - in fact it seems to add a bit of spice and fun which most spectators seem to enjoy. On the other hand, such behaviour at a golf course, whether it be by golf "hackers" or professionals at golf tournaments, is extremely rare and most likely would be frowned upon by everybody, apart from the culprit, who probably would be verbally disciplined by officials or even ejected from the course if such behaviour was repeated.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:59 am

Points taken Cec... Perhaps it's the difference between team sports and single-player sports... If the spectators have a home team to root for it's more acceptable for them to distract one of the visiting players, but it seems a bit too unfair if the whole audience act against a single visiting player... The instances I recall are like in Davis Cup play, Lleyton Hewitt always gets the worse treatment from the Brazilian or Argentine crowds and they would try everything from vocal abuse to shining a mirror on his eyes whenever he serves...

On NBA:

The Rockets won tonight with some impressive shooting, but the story of the night was Wade got his shoulder dislocated while trying to stop a pass from Battier... It was a pretty scary injury, that he even cried on TV... It seems he could be out for a while, including tomorrow's clash against the Mavs, whom seem to hold some grudges for some comments on Dirk from Wade... But without their best player it's not likely the Heat would inflict the Mavs a loss which Hud keeps wishing for...:)

And nice to see the Suns rebound well with the comeback of Nash... The previous game (against the Clips) I saw him crashed to the floor and taking a hard charge against Elton Brand... Perhaps towards playoff time he'll become a target of some rough plays... I hope he's aware of that and will play carefully...

The Lakers are in a mess right now (6 straight losses)... The trade deadline is tomorrow and some rumours are saying they're trying to get Jason Kidd from New Jersey... Perhaps it's the shake-up they need right now to revive their season... It'd be nice to see Nash play Kidd in the playoffs...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:20 pm

I watched a good bit of the Rockets/Heat game last night but missed the Wade injury. I think we might have to trot out our bad karma theory for it. What he said about Nowitzki was uncalled for. I still have a hard time believing that the Mavs lost that series. The Rockets did look good again and McGrady is really playing well.

I saw a replay of the charge of Brand on Nash and it wasn't pretty. I suppose as long as Nash could slide on the floor and not hit anything he'd be ok?

Charles Barkley has been critical of D'Antoni's short rotation (as have I). D'Antoni hit him with a low blow and said that anyone who choked away a couple championships shouldn't try to advise him. I doubt that we've heard the last of that feud.

I heard the same thing about Kidd/Lakers. The announcers last night said they didn't like it since both Kidd and Kobe are floor generals who muct have the ball in their hands. I kinda feel that's true. I'd really like to see him in Miami, but the Heat swears it aren't interested. I think Wade's shoulder will keep him out for several weeks if it's anything like the time I did it to a shoulder from falling on ice in Rochester, NY. I couldn't raise my arm over my head for a couple weeks. These guys do rehab and heal pretty fast though.

Cec, I just saw a report on TV about the drought in parts of Australia. They said an old submerged town has resurfaced behind a dam after 50 years. I suppose the Melbourne waterskiing championships will be postponed this year. (I had to make that sports related lol)

Edit: Not much movement at the trade deadline. Kidd stays in NJ. There was a rumor (hopefully false) that the Suns offered Bell, Thomas and a draft choice for him. D'Antoni laughed when asked and said he tried to trade Shawn Marion again. That's been an annual event here in Phoenix.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:49 pm

Yes, it surprised me a little to see no major deals from anyone... Apparently the Bulls think they can challenge the Pistons with Ben Wallace as their only big man... But I never like Pau Gasol much anyway...

The Mavs as expected defeated the Heat handily... Shaq is obviously past his prime and it's a tough ask for him to do what T-Mac does (carrying his team in absence of another major star)... I don't feel sorry for them, but it's a pity the accident had to happen in Houston... Some of the sports writers are already suggesting karma-related theories including how Riley got rid of Stan Van Gundy last year... I had a look at the video replay and it was clearly not Battier's fault... It's just freakish that Wade could dislocate his shoulder from a mere arm-check that didn't look forceful at all... I suppose basketball is also a very dangerous sport...

Speaking of arms, after the autistic kid story last year, there is another one about a single-armed team manager getting the opportunity to play recently... I believe the name is "Cory Bhend" or something like this... I didn't find much on the net but it did make the news on TV here...

The drought has been a significant issue in the whole of Australia for the last couple years... Aside from the impact on agriculture, there are already talks on recycling sewage water (yuck) and desalting sea water...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:04 pm

Dennis Johnson died yesterday at age 52. He was one great basketball player. He played for the Suns for 3 years and they traded him to the Celtics for Rick Robey. The Suns even threw in a top draft choice and I believe another player. That had to be the worst trade in NBA History. As I've said before, the Suns never liked any players with an edge to their game and DJ was a tough defender and player.

Wade might undergo season ending shoulder surgery. If so, that ends the Heat run for the year.

They're building a community north of Phoenix where there is no surface or ground water. They play to use reclaimed sewage from the city of Prescott. I don't even like to play on golf courses that use that crap:)
I suppose it will supposedly be well treated. No wonder everyone drinks bottled water here now.
Hud

Sports talk

Postby Cec » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:02 am

Hud wrote:"....Cec, I just saw a report on TV about the drought in parts of Australia. They said an old submerged town has resurfaced behind a dam after 50 years. I suppose the Melbourne waterskiing championships will be postponed this year. (I had to make that sports related lol).."

For those who are wondering about this "ghost town" resurfacing, the original Tallangatta township in north-eastern Victoria was submerged about 55 years ago following "relocation" of this town some eight kilometres away to permit substantial enlargement of a reservoir (Lake Hume) whose water level has dropped considerably because of the drought to now expose those houses which were never removed when the enlarged dam was built.

As for the Melbourne water skiing championships I don't follow this sport so I can't comment on where the're being held this year.

There is a misconception about drinking reclaimed sewage. Firstly, sewage is about 98% water and various treatment processes to remove solids by sedimentation and flotation (skimming ) tanks to remove grease, etc., and chlorination which produces a final effluent of clear palatable water. I reckon if you're dying of thirst this water would taste better than a cold glass of VB bitter. It's also worth keeping in mind when we swim at a crowded beach the sea water which we accidently swallow 'aint quite what we assume it is.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 am

The Rockets lost to the Hawks today...:( I hope the bad karma of ending Wade's season stopped right there... T-Mac got 37 pts with just 4 asts but I reckon it's more due to the shooters not scoring on his passes (Bonzi, Head & Battier combined for 2/14 on FGs)... But he shot 12/28 FGs on his own so I suppose he still wasn't sharing the load enough...

Thanks Cec for the explanations... I suppose when there is no choice we'll have to make do with reclaimed sewage... I'm pretty sure it doesn't include the "black water" (i.e. from the toilet drains) but still, unless it's the only choice, I'd prefer anything from VB bitter to desalted sea water than that...
udosuk

Sports talk

Postby Cec » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:17 am

udosuk wrote:".... I'm pretty sure it doesn't include the "black water" (i.e. from the toilet drains) but still, unless it's the only choice, I'd prefer anything from VB bitter to desalted sea water than that..."

It probably is a surprize to some but treatment of "black water" (includes human excrement and urine) and "grey water" (kitchen, bathroom and clothes washing machine waste) can produce an effluent suitable for watering sports grounds, golf courses, etc.) and, if sophisticated enough treatment, can be discharged to a river or stream and used as the source for a city's water supply. On the other hand, rainwater is usually collected by most Cities/Municipalities from roof run-off (spouting) and street drains via a separate underground pipe network and eventually discharged directly to rivers, creeks, etc, without treatment, other than metal grids to trap rubbish (tins, wood, etc.) to maintain river quality.

In my younger days, I visited many water and sewerage treatment plants to see at first hand the sewage entering the treatment plants and the final effluent which the plant management proudly displayed for the public's interest, to view the "before and after" appearance of the raw and final product. I'm probably being too passionate about this but anyone interested on this aspect can usually visit any treatment plant including that servicing their municipality (prior appointment suggested) to see at first hand the clear water produced from such treatment plants.

I can understand most people would be reluctant to use treated sewage effluent but a visit to such a plant may ease one's mind.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:28 am

A bit about golf:

In the World Match Play Championship, Geoff Ogilvy (the Aussie Champ last year) reached the final again, will play against Swede Henrik Stenson... Tiger Woods lost in the round of 16 against another Aussie Nick O'Hern, missing a 4-foot putt in the 1st extra hole which could have won him the match (he said he didn't notice a ball mark on the path)... And then he lost in the 2nd extra hole... It ended Tiger's 7-tournament winning streak on the PGA tour...

In the quarters, O'Hern & Stenson were tied going into the 18th hole and Stenson hit into a Cactus on his tee shot, took a penalty drop and then hit his 3rd shot to 2 feet from the hole and made par... And O'Hern missed his 4-foot putt for par... Amazingly, these karma stuffs keep happening...

I know Hud wouldn't like to see another Aussie winning it, especially in a tournament in Arizona...:)

Added later:

Ogilvy lost... So at least Hud avoided to see an Aussie winner...:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:36 pm

It's funny, but I was pulling for Ogilvy. I suppose that's not a good sign. It's looking like we Americans can't seem to win anything lately. We even got whipped at the Academy Awards last night by the UK.

The Hawks gave the Suns all they could handle last night. Nash's injury has really hurt his game, but he's still playing great. Amare seemed to will the team the victory agains a Hawks team that is playing its best ball of the season imo. D'Antoni continues to overplay (imo) the first 6 players in the rotation. I like it when we get 7 players to score in double digits instead of one guy getting 42 or 43.

Shaq opened his mouth again and put his foot in it. He said that Nash wasn't worthy of the MVP awards. I wonder how many he'd have gotten if the refs had ever called him for traveling and simply shoving guys out of the way going to the hoop.

I forgot to mention that the new developement that is to use recycled water is going to pump it out of the ground. The partially treated water is going to be allowed to leach into the aquifer and it's supposed to be filtered naturally. I suppose it'll work?
Hud

Postby MCC » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Hud, I don't know if this item on reclaimed water will help settle your mind:(:?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reclaimed_water

What you want to find out is how long, once the water is pumped out, will it take before it enters the aquifer, the longer the better I should imaging:D

MCC
MCC

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar