Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:59 pm

mikejapan wrote:So offensive personal attacks (jokingly) towards other people are not OK, but offensive personal attacks (jokingly) against other people's countries are OK?? (eg; joking about the English cricket team):D

My comment about the English cricket team wasn't supposed to be joking... They are playing badly, and it's cold fact... But if you decide to take it as an offensive personal attack then it's your personal choice...:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:42 pm

udosuk wrote:
And good point about Nash starting... We could push Duncan to the center, and have T-Mac & KG as forwards, with Nash & Kobe as guards... Nash definitely deserves more to be a starter than Amare...

There was an interesting article in today's paper about that very subject. It stated that in order to appear unbiased, D'Antoni should start Dirk at center. D'Antoni is pretty much in a no win situation here. Nash obviously should start, but I don't feel he has a fragile ego, so would be content to let his friend, Dirk get some well deserved recognition. If I were D'Antoni, I'd take Nash aside and ask him what he'd recommend. I think he'd go with Dirk. You're right that Amare shouldn't get the start. He'll have many years to get his due.

I hope mikejapan realizes that any person or country bashing that happens here is good natured.

Speaking of thin skinned, the article also mentioned Shawn Marion's fragile ego. Marion is somewhat underrated (imo), and has to get beyond that. I wonder what will happen with the Allen/Howard dilemma?
Hud

Postby mikejapan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:38 am

I agree with Hud that good natured people and country bashing should be OK:D
mikejapan

Postby udosuk » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:38 am

Hud wrote:You're right that Amare shouldn't get the start. He'll have many years to get his due.

The point is with Yao Ming's huge Asian fan base, it's so hard for Amare to get a West starting spot... Yao could have (touchwood speaking) another injury during future All-star weekends, and one of them could move East some years later, but there is also a chance that Amare would never get another opportunity like this in this lifetime... And would D'Antoni risk that?

Nash having already won 2 MVPs wouldn't care too much about this, while Dirk should likely get the spot in 1 or 2 years as Duncan & KG are about to get past their prime... So the player most needing this spot is certain Amare... But of course Nash & Dirk are better players...

I'm sure Marion is a good man... Now the issue would be do the Suns deserve to have 3 players in the West team, while the Mavs have only 1 or 2? I'll be happy for Marion if he gets it (which he probably will if he continues to play well during the week)...

Many people are surprised that Serena Williams won the tournament... Although she's never my favorite, I'm not surprised at all... That was surely an awesome display of powerful tennis in the final against Sharapova...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:42 am

Now you have me thinking and that's serious business. I see your point about the Suns possibly having 3 players on the team. Amare should go since he's probably the best true center in the west after Yao. Nash is a foregone conclusion. That leaves Shawn Marion who may or may not be deserving of a reserve slot. That brings up his fragile ego that I read about. I don't know how D'Antoni will handle it, but maybe someone will get dinged up before the game and it'll be academic.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:33 am

Hud wrote:... but maybe someone will get dinged up before the game and it'll be academic.

What a good call/curse... It seemed Boozer got hurt (knee) today in the Jazz's loss to the Hornets, though it might not be too serious...

In 2005 when the Pistons had a 36-5 record, they had 4 players elected as All-stars reserves... But that's the East, where the competition is much less fierce than the West...

There're just too many good forwards in the West... Boozer, Brand, Camby, Randolph, Artest... So some has got to give... It depends on if the coaches are willing to circle 3 Suns players out of the 7 slots... If it's up the David Stern for the 8th slot perhaps he'd give it to a team without any player elected to keep more fans happy...
udosuk

Postby emm » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 am

mikejapan wrote:Anyway, the only personal attacks I've seen in this forum in the last week were both by emm. She accused me of liking "Pop" music and 80s obscure bands and Udosuk 's poetry as being a bit dodgy.

Not quite true, Mike - I also insulted Hud's beloved Blue Crabs. I hope he knows it was TIC. For the record a Maryland crabbake is a must-do before you die. The only culinary delight I know of where they have to hose you down afterwards.

I'm apologising left right and centre and blaming it all on the knock to my head. Dragging udosuk into it was absolutely unwarranted. Everyone knows that he is one of the brightest flames on the Sudoku candelabra and I've told him before, spontaneously I think or maybe it was when I was apologising after another unintentional offensive remark, that I truly lurve his language best in the whole forum. His 'innocent little suggestion' was sheer brilliance and so long as he keeps away from metre and rhyme he is the absolute winner.

As far as the limerick goes, Mike, I'm afraid that you may now not be able to shake the image of 'pop king of 80's music', such is the power of the written word. I could write a retraction but I doubt anyone would take much notice. Sorry, I think it's just one of those things you're going to have to live with.
emm

Postby udosuk » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:33 am

emm, no need to apologise! I didn't feel dragged/offended in any of your comments... Like Hud, I'm rhymically challenged and I don't feel too bad about it at all...:)

I probably brought it too far by using the term "personal attack"... I just want to stress my disliking about mean/insensitive remarks directed to fellow forum members based on the way they communicate or their number of posts or their ethnical background etc... Making fun of other participants might amuse someone, but I'm not used to seeing these behaviours in this particular forum, and I surely hope it won't catch on from this point on...
udosuk

Postby mikejapan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:17 am

My posts were attempts at light-hearted banter but they appear to be causing controversy and mono-noia. My apologies. I hereby quit this forum and from now on will stick to Djape's, where at least I'm appreciated.
mikejapan

Postby tarek » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:03 pm

Hud wrote:I hope mikejapan realizes that any person or country bashing that happens here is good natured.

I agree, but could we stop talking about the English cricket team:D every post about that team (here or elsewere) knocks me for six:D , why not avoid cricket altogether......

I manged to see the Australian open finale yesterday ..... I mean Federer bowled Gozalez out wide several times & caught him off the crease on a number of occasions. After Federer knocked the castle with a majestic off-spinner the over was over. Good batting by Gonzalez, he just missed on a maiden century.

tarek
tarek

Postby udosuk » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:03 am

Hud, the Suns' loss tonight against the Timberwolves was certainly not warranted... Marion's offense was great (8/10 FG for 24 pts & 10 rebs) but he picked up 5 fouls, while Amare was almost a non-factor (10 pts & 4 rebs). Somehow KG scored 44 pts (remember he was suspended the last time when the Suns beat them by 29 pts) and the Wolves had a FG% of about ~60%, which is amazing. Obviously, I think the Suns' defense did them in, especially whoever assigned to guard KG... (The Wolves also won the rebounding 34-26, with 11 from KG...)

The next 3 games would be against Spurs, Jazz & Nuggets, and I think they need to power up their PF/C defense immediately, as Duncan, Boozer & Camby await... The good thing though, is that after these 3 games the rest of the month should be easy peasy for them...

It seems the All-stars reserves will be decided tomorrow, and I think Marion has played well enough... If he isn't included it won't be his fault, but the fact that the Suns already have 2 players chosen...

Come to think of it, it would be interested to see how Nash defends Tony Parker, Deron Williams & Allen Iverson 3 games in a row...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm

I didn't see any of the game, but did see some highlights. Garnett was unstoppable. He was being closely guarded and still was hitting fadeaway shots much like Nowitzki does. I have a feeling that fatigue finally got to them what with their extended minutes and limited bench use. During many games in the "streak", they just stayed close through 3 quarters, and outran the opposition in q4.

I'd really like to see Amare sit out the all star weekend and get some rest.

The Rockets seem to be taking care of business during their "easy" 5 game stretch. 2 down and 2 to go.

Here in the states, you'd think we lost someone very important with all the news of Barbaro's Euthanization (is that a word?). I even heard someone on TV say to pray for him after he died. I hate to sound sacrianimaligious, but we eat cows.
Hud

Postby emm » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:39 am

Thankfully there are people like you, Hud, who allow us to maintain hope in America! Sacrianimaligious is a fantastic word! You may usurp udosuk as the King of Colourful Language ... !

Tarek said don't mention the 'c' word, but did you see who finally won one! Sometimes I'm so happy to be a Kiwi!

I can't believe Mike really left! After just one little glitch! And just when we were starting to have fun! I checked that other forum he ran back to. They adulate him over there, they truly do, so no wonder, and even though I so-oo don't believe that’s good for a person, all that kowtowing and stuff ... no doubt it feels good. We appreciate you too, Mike. We do, we do!! We appreciate you, just in a different kind of way. Come back! All is forgiven! You can still be our King of Pop. We promise!:D
emm

Postby tarek » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:47 pm

emm wrote:Tarek said don't mention the 'c' word, but did you see who finally won one! Sometimes I'm so happy to be a Kiwi!

:(:(:(, I would favour that our team would just reflect on what they've done (or haven't done:!: ) in the past couple of weeks. My suggestion that the coach & all members of the team (including the injured) need some time off (6 months at least) away from family & friends...my suuggestion for a location would be Tristan da Cunha or the British Antarctic territory....

Hopefully that would bring them back to their senses.....

Tarek
tarek

Postby Hud » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:16 am

Tonight's game should be a good one with the Spurs vs the Jazz. It'll be on TV here at 7PM. I'll try to watch as much of it as possible.

I suggested that Mike give the board a chance, but it appears his mind was made up (possibly from the beginning?).
Hud

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar