Riddle (sort of)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Fri May 12, 2006 4:00 pm

MCC wrote:I know this function should show an iterative process, how about:

Code: Select all
F(x) = (x^2) + 1

That would be 1,2,5,10,17,26,37,...:!:

[Edit: Typo fixed thanks to Crazy Girl...:) ]
Last edited by udosuk on Sat May 13, 2006 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
udosuk

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Fri May 12, 2006 11:28 pm

udosuk wrote:You're right Cec, Ruud's answer is not the one...
Hint: Lateral thinking is required...

You remove two matches from the triangle furthest to the left - therefore you can' t have any triangles "left" they are to the "right".

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sat May 13, 2006 5:52 am

Cec wrote:You remove two matches from the triangle furthest to the left - therefore you can' t have any triangles "left" they are to the "right".

Not the "right" answer but quite smart nonetheless...

Final hint: Think maths.:idea:

Answer to be revealed tomorrow...
udosuk

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Sat May 13, 2006 10:29 am

udosuk wrote:Final hint: Think maths.:idea:

A bit imaginitive but I'm getting desperate.:) Image creation breakdown so I have to attempt description like this...

Remove the two "oblique" matches of the middle triangle which leaves a horizontal match (sic. a "minus" sign). The screen now displays from left to right) one triangle minus one triangle which therefore leaves no triangle

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sat May 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Yep, almost got it...

But I said to move 2 matches, not remove them...

Don't worry about graphics, once you give a satisfactory description I'll post the pic out...
udosuk

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Sat May 13, 2006 10:32 pm

udosuk wrote:"Don't worry about graphics, once you give a satisfactory description I'll post the pic out...

Oops! I forgot to mention those two "oblique" matches moved from the middle triangle are placed to the right of the lower right triangle and become an "equal" sign meaning "triangle minus triangle equals no triangle". Please, please. teacher, do I get my elephant stamp now?:)

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 am

Well done Cec! Here is the answer:

And the elephant stamp you deserve::D
udosuk

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Sun May 14, 2006 9:18 am

Thanks udosuk - your "maths hint" finally sunk in. Also a nice "elephant stamp" image.

While we're on elephants here's a riddle:

Elephants are rarer than they used to be, but they have something to help them survive that no other animal has. What?

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon May 15, 2006 6:35 am

Depending on what you meant by "survive"...

If it means "each individual elephant to survive its own life", then the answer could be an elephant heart or any other vital organ belonged to that particular elephant that no other animal could have...

If it means "the whole elephant species to continue its existence on the planet earth", then the answer could be baby elephants, which other animals also could not possibily have...:?:
udosuk

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Mon May 15, 2006 10:05 am

Well done udosuk. "baby elephants" was the correct answer. I agree the word "survive" was not well chosen.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon May 15, 2006 1:36 pm

Let's solve this puzzle:

A man rushed out from home. He ran a certain distance and then turned left. Then he ran the same distance and turned left again. Again he ran that same distance and turned left once more. Once more he ran the same distance and when he got home he saw 2 masked men standing there. Who were those 2 mysterious men?
udosuk

Riddle (sort of)

Postby Cec » Mon May 15, 2006 2:07 pm

udosuk wrote:"..and when he got home he saw 2 masked men standing there. Who were those 2 mysterious men?

Seems too obvious - I'll say two burglars.
Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Mon May 15, 2006 2:48 pm

It could be a board game - A player has to go around the four sides to get home, the masked men are probably two other players.

Or:

A man's house is on fire and his family are inside, he has no phone but is a short distance from the fire station and from the hospital, so he runs and informs them of the fire, on reaching home he meets a fireman in a mask who has rescued his family, and a doctor, also masked, who is treating the injured.

MCC
MCC

Re: Riddle (sort of)

Postby udosuk » Mon May 15, 2006 4:03 pm

Cec wrote:Seems too obvious - I'll say two burglars.
No, the answer is not that obvious...

MCC wrote:It could be a board game - A player has to go around the four sides to get home, the masked men are probably two other players.
No... There is a subtle difference between running and going around... It'd be a special board game if the players are required to run around the board... Also, why are those 2 other players masked?

MCC wrote:A man's house is on fire and his family are inside, he has no phone but is a short distance from the fire station and from the hospital, so he runs and informs them of the fire, on reaching home he meets a fireman in a mask who has rescued his family, and a doctor, also masked, who is treating the injured.
Creative story writing, but the man would probably better off stay in the fire station letting the firemen contact the hospital and ride their fire engine back home...

Keep the interesting answers coming...:D But in the correct answer you need to logically explain every bit of details...
udosuk

Postby Ruud » Mon May 15, 2006 4:39 pm

One of the men is a catcher, the second person is the umpire.:D

Ruud.
Ruud

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar