Patterns Game 1.0

Interactive on-site game threads go here

Postby JPF » Tue May 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Code: Select all
 1 . . . 2 . . . 3
 . . . 3 . . . 4 .
 . . 5 . . . 6 . .
 . 7 . . . 8 . . .
 2 . . . . . . . 5
 . . . 4 . . . 2 .
 . . 4 . . . 8 . .
 . 8 . . . 7 . . .
 3 . . . 5 . . . .    ER 8.3


JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 3752
Joined: 06 December 2005
Location: Paris, France

Postby Mauricio » Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 pm

I have no choice.

Code: Select all
1 . .|. 2 .|. . 3
. . .|3 . .|. 4 .
. . 4|. . .|5 . .
-----+-----+-----
. 6 .|. . 4|. . .
5 . .|. . .|. . 1
. . .|7 . .|. 2 .
-----+-----+-----
. . 8|. . .|6 . .
. 9 .|. . 5|. . .
3 . .|. 1 .|. . .    ER 8.6
Mauricio
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 22 March 2006

Postby Mauricio » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:31 am

Seven days.

I was about to give up my right to post a new puzzle and give it to someone else, until I had a not so bad idea for a new pattern (I hope it is original).
Code: Select all
1 . .|. . .|. . 2
. 3 .|4 . 5|. 1 .
. . .|. . .|6 . .
-----+-----+-----
. . 4|. . .|7 . .
. . .|1 . 2|. . .
. . 6|. . .|8 . .
-----+-----+-----
. . 8|. . .|. . .
. 4 .|7 . 1|. 3 .
9 . .|. . .|. . 7    ER 1.5


Let's see how hard can they get.
Mauricio
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 22 March 2006

Postby JPF » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:19 am

Mauricio wrote:Seven days.
Congratulations:)
Was 8.6 your best shot ?

Mauricio wrote:I was about to give up my right to post a new puzzle and give it to someone else, until I had a not so bad idea for a new pattern (I hope it is original).
I think we should try to give all the possible SE ratings...

Anyway, here's my first contribution :
Code: Select all
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 4 . 5 | . 6 .
 . . . | . . . | 7 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 7 | . . . | 8 . .
 . . . | 3 . 6 | . . .
 . . 2 | . . . | 1 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 4 | . . . | . . .
 . 5 . | 8 . 4 | . 9 .
 7 . . | . . . | . . 3      ER=2.0


JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 3752
Joined: 06 December 2005
Location: Paris, France

Postby m_b_metcalf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:39 pm

JPF wrote:Anyway, here's my first contribution :

And mine:
Code: Select all
 6 . . . . . . . 2
 . 3 . 9 . 5 . 4 .
 . . . . . . 7 . .
 . . 7 . . . 6 . .
 . . . 1 . 3 . . .
 . . 2 . . . 9 . .
 . . 4 . . . . . .
 . 1 . 8 . 4 . 9 .
 7 . . . . . . . 3 SE 6.6

Regards,

Mike Metcalf
User avatar
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: 15 May 2006
Location: Berlin

Postby JPF » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:09 pm

somebody wrote:I think we should try to give all the possible SE ratings...

Code: Select all
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 4 . 5 | . 6 .
 . . . | . . . | 7 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 7 | . . . | 1 . .
 . . . | 3 . 8 | . . .
 . . 2 | . . . | 9 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 4 | . . . | . . .
 . 5 . | 1 . 9 | . 3 .
 6 . . | . . . | . . 5   ER=2.5

and
Code: Select all
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 1 . 4 | . 5 .
 . . . | . . . | 6 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 6 | . . . | 7 . .
 . . . | 3 . 8 | . . .
 . . 2 | . . . | 8 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 7 | . . . | . . .
 . 4 . | 9 . 7 | . 3 .
 2 . . | . . . | . . 1   ER=6.7


JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 3752
Joined: 06 December 2005
Location: Paris, France

Postby m_b_metcalf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:26 pm

JPF wrote:and

and
Code: Select all
 9 . . . . . . . 2
 . 3 . 9 . 5 . 6 .
 . . . . . . 7 . .
 . . 7 . . . 4 . .
 . . . 3 . 8 . . .
 . . 2 . . . 8 . .
 . . 9 . . . . . .
 . 1 . 8 . 4 . 5 .
 7 . . . . . . . 3   SE 7.2

Regards,

Mike Metcalf
User avatar
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: 15 May 2006
Location: Berlin

Postby Mauricio » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:28 pm

JPF wrote:Was 8.6 your best shot ?


Yes, it was my best of just 56 of such puzzles, that pattern was very tough. The new patterm I proposed it is easier to find than I thought, that will make it easier to newcomers.
Code: Select all
1 . .|. . .|. . 2
. 3 .|4 . 5|. 6 .
. . .|. . .|7 . .
-----+-----+-----
. . 4|. . .|5 . .
. . .|6 . 3|. . .
. . 2|. . .|8 . .
-----+-----+-----
. . 8|. . .|. . .
. 5 .|9 . 1|. 3 .
6 . .|. . .|. . 7     ER7.3
Mauricio
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 22 March 2006

Postby JPF » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Code: Select all
 
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 2 . 4 | . 5 .
 . . . | . . . | 6 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 6 | . . . | 1 . .
 . . . | 7 . 3 | . . .
 . . 8 | . . . | 9 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 1 | . . . | . . .
 . 7 . | 5 . 2 | . 3 .
 8 . . | . . . | . . 9   ER=7.6


JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 3752
Joined: 06 December 2005
Location: Paris, France

Postby re'born » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:47 pm

JPF wrote:
Code: Select all
 
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 2 . 4 | . 5 .
 . . . | . . . | 6 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 6 | . . . | 1 . .
 . . . | 7 . 3 | . . .
 . . 8 | . . . | 9 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 1 | . . . | . . .
 . 7 . | 5 . 2 | . 3 .
 8 . . | . . . | . . 9   ER=7.6


JPF


JPF,

You should submit this puzzle to the Bicycle Collection. It is a real beauty. Just write in the pencilmarks and there is a 4-ring bidirectional y-cycle staring you right in the face. After that an xy-wing and an empty rectangle will reduce it to a BUG+1. Fantastic.
re'born
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 31 May 2007

Postby Mauricio » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:08 am

Code: Select all
1 . .|. . .|. . 2
. 3 .|4 . 1|. 5 .
. . .|. . .|6 . .
-----+-----+-----
. . 4|. . .|2 . .
. . .|7 . 6|. . .
. . 5|. . .|8 . .
-----+-----+-----
. . 7|. . .|. . .
. 5 .|6 . 9|. 4 .
2 . .|. . .|. . 3    ER 8.3
Mauricio
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 22 March 2006

Re: Patterns Game

Postby Mauricio » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:03 am

JPF wrote:A dealer gives a valid and minimal puzzle solved by singles only ("all singles")
This puzzle must have at least 19 clues, but less than 30.

Each player can post a new valid puzzle provided that his proposed puzzle :
  • has the same pattern
  • is not an "all singles"
  • has a higher ER rating than the preceding posted one.
ER is the rating given by Sudoku Explainer 1.2


I wonder why the minimality is not a requisite for the challenging sudokus.
Mauricio
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 22 March 2006

Postby JPF » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:18 pm

Mauricio wrote:I wonder why the minimality is not a requisite for the challenging sudokus.
Good point.

This one is minimal, anyway :
Code: Select all
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 4 . 5 | . 1 .
 . . . | . . . | 6 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 6 | . . . | 7 . .
 . . . | 3 . 2 | . . .
 . . 5 | . . . | 4 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 7 | . . . | . . .
 . 8 . | 9 . 1 | . 3 .
 5 . . | . . . | . . 8    ER=8.9


JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 3752
Joined: 06 December 2005
Location: Paris, France

Postby claudiarabia » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:20 pm

re'born wrote:
JPF wrote:
Code: Select all
 
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 2 . 4 | . 5 .
 . . . | . . . | 6 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 6 | . . . | 1 . .
 . . . | 7 . 3 | . . .
 . . 8 | . . . | 9 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 1 | . . . | . . .
 . 7 . | 5 . 2 | . 3 .
 8 . . | . . . | . . 9   ER=7.6


JPF


JPF,

You should submit this puzzle to the Bicycle Collection. It is a real beauty. Just write in the pencilmarks and there is a 4-ring bidirectional y-cycle staring you right in the face. After that an xy-wing and an empty rectangle will reduce it to a BUG+1. Fantastic.


Hi, re-born!
another cycle-fan here. I never heared or red of a 4-ring bi-directional y-cycle. It sounds very refined. Is there an explanation in this forum or will you, if it is not so, explain here on this example for the first time, what a 4-ring bi-directional y-cycle is, please? If it would include four cells only, it wouldn't justify the high rating of 7,6 I suppose. So I'm curious.

:)Claudia
claudiarabia
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 14 May 2006

Postby re'born » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:22 pm

claudiarabia wrote:
re'born wrote:
JPF wrote:
Code: Select all
 
 1 . . | . . . | . . 2
 . 3 . | 2 . 4 | . 5 .
 . . . | . . . | 6 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 6 | . . . | 1 . .
 . . . | 7 . 3 | . . .
 . . 8 | . . . | 9 . .
-------+-------+-------
 . . 1 | . . . | . . .
 . 7 . | 5 . 2 | . 3 .
 8 . . | . . . | . . 9   ER=7.6


JPF


JPF,

You should submit this puzzle to the Bicycle Collection. It is a real beauty. Just write in the pencilmarks and there is a 4-ring bidirectional y-cycle staring you right in the face. After that an xy-wing and an empty rectangle will reduce it to a BUG+1. Fantastic.


Hi, re-born!
another cycle-fan here. I never heared or red of a 4-ring bi-directional y-cycle. It sounds very refined. Is there an explanation in this forum or will you, if it is not so, explain here on this example for the first time, what a 4-ring bi-directional y-cycle is, please? If it would include four cells only, it wouldn't justify the high rating of 7,6 I suppose. So I'm curious.

:)Claudia


Hi Claudia, my definition of a 4-ring bidirectional y-cycle comes from the Bicycle Collection's first post. In this case, after performing zero moves, the pencilmark grid is:
Code: Select all
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 | 1        45689    4579     | 3689     356789   56789    | 3478     4789     2        |
 | 679      3        79*      | 2        16789    4        | 78*      5        178      |
 | 24579    24589    24579    | 1389     135789   15789    | 6        14789    13478    |
 |----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------|
 | 234579   2459     6        | 489      24589    589      | 1        2478     34578    |
 | 2459     12459    2459     | 7        1245689  3        | 2458     2468     4568     |
 | 23457    1245     8        | 146      12456    156      | 9        2467     34567    |
 |----------------------------+----------------------------+----------------------------|
 | 234569   24569    1        | 34689    346789   6789     | 24578    24678    45678    |
 | 469      7        49*      | 5        14689    2        | 48*      3        1468     |
 | 8        2456     2345     | 1346     13467    167      | 2457     12467    9        |
 *--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*


and the only 4 bivalued cells form a bidirectional y-cycle. It seems that SE finds this y-cycle, but what drives up the ER is that SE doesn't use the empty rectangle that leads (after an xy-wing) to a BUG+1. Instead, it uses "forcing chains" and "Nishio forcing chains".
re'born
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 31 May 2007

PreviousNext

Return to Interactive games