Hardest thread disappeared

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Re: Addendum

Postby m_b_metcalf » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:29 am

1to9only wrote:To save a web page from this forum for later offline (no internet) viewing:
- use Internet Explorer (it's ancient, and unsupported!), or Firefox (I used 101.0)

Thanks for the information. Microsoft Edge, IE's successor and supported, seems to work too.

M
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Re: Hardest thread disappeared

Postby denis_berthier » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:49 am

With Safari on a Mac, there are 2 ways:
- save the page as a ".webarchive" - readable only in Safari on Mac (I don't know for the win version)
- File > Export to pdf ; if you want the hidden parts to be recorded, you must open them before.
Although the 1st method is simpler, I now use the 2nd, which produces a pdf readable on any platform (images included).
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Re: Addendum

Postby 1to9only » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:39 am

m_b_metcalf wrote:Thanks for the information. Microsoft Edge, IE's successor and supported, seems to work too.

I don't use Edge.
Edge is also Chrome based, good to know it works.
The browsers I use are heavily configured and restricted, maybe that's why my tests with Chrome based browsers did not work out.
I'll be using Firefox.

Having looked at the saved files, they can be modified:
- to correctly display the forum icons in offline mode (they display correctly if online as they get fetched from the web site!)
- to remove session identifiers (sid)
1to9only

Postby yzfwsf » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:54 am

Forums can be cloned using Offline Explorer.
yzfwsf

Postby 1to9only » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:12 pm

Current enjoysudoku STATISTICS: Total posts 175086 • Total topics 11867
It's a lot to synch. I'm Ok with just grabbing the interesting threads.
1to9only

Re: Where is the Forum going?

Postby JPF » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:52 am

It would be a shame if all this mass of ideas and properties developed by so many prestigious contributors of this forum disappeared as was the case for the Programmers forum.
It is therefore urgent to organize a general back-up of the Forum pages.
The key to these problems seems to lie in the situation of the owner JasonLion = Jason Linhart and in his intentions concerning the Forum.
Since Jason's direct contact at this address jason@enjoysudoku.com seems ineffective, I only see direct contact (by phone) to find out his intentions.
Since Jason seems to live in Maryland, is it possible to ask one of our American members to try to get in touch with him or his entourage to find out what the situation is and / or what his intentions are regarding this forum?

JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter

Re: Where is the Forum going?

Postby m_b_metcalf » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:26 am

JPF wrote:Since Jason seems to live in Maryland, is it possible to ask one of our American members to try to get in touch with him or his entourage to find out what the situation is and / or what his intentions are regarding this forum?

It appears not to be possible to access the white pages from outside the US, but for those who live there note that he lives (or lived) in Silver Spring, MD 20904.

[Edit: Jason T Linhart, Age 63
Current Address: **** 17th Ct NE, Olympia, WA
Possible alternative e-mail address: jason@yahoo.com]

Mike
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Postby Pat » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:40 pm

Code: Select all
+1 - 301 - 384 8886
try?
Pat

New owner

Postby JPF » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:50 am

after some research...

From Facebook:
Hidden Text: Show
Caroline Kenner, July 21, 2021
Dear Ones, a wonderful thing has happened. Jason and I are selling The Fool’s Dog to Quicksilver Cards and Games LLC, which is the name our dear friends Sara Mastros, and Ann and John White have chosen for their new software company. Quicksilver is also purchasing Jason’s top-rated Sudoku game, Enjoy Sudoku.
Our friends have the ideal gifts and talents for managing all of the tasks required to run the apps. John is a lot like Jason in many ways. He has been working as a computer consultant for the Feds for decades, and he’d like to be self employed now. Ann retired from her federal job recently. Ann and I were baby Witches together, and I have always felt like her older sister. Ann is a member of Gwendolyn’s coven within the Assembly of the Sacred Wheel.
Meanwhile, Ann and I met Sara on our magical pilgrimage to Greece in 2015. For those of you who do not know her, Sara is a professional diviner, magical worker, and teacher of witchcraft. Her book on magical incense will be released later this year by Red Wheel / Weiser. Her translation of the Orphic Hymns was well-received in its initial private edition, and is soon to be re-published by Hadean Press.
Jason and I look forward to doing everything possible to facilitate a smooth transition. We be retired by Jason’s birthday on November 1st.
One more fiscal quarter to go. It’s been a labor of love, every single moment.

JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter

Postby Pat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:37 am

Pat

Postby denis_berthier » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:26 am

Yep, amazing ... that this forum is not even mentioned.
As for the "top-rated" enjoysudoku app, I just checked: the iOS version has not been updated for several years. (I don't know for the Android version.)

For anyone really interested in some pages of this forum, I'd strongly recommend to hurry to make private copies. AFAIK, this has to be done page by page, which drastically limits what can be saved by anyone.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

quicksilvercards.com

Postby Pat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:58 am

Pat

Postby denis_berthier » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:42 pm

I was speaking of the facebook page you mentioned: nothing about this forum. Buying an app is one thing. Managing a forum is another one.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby Pat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:55 pm

Jason still visits... or is it the new owner, using Jason's login?
Pat

Postby 1to9only » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:01 pm

Pat wrote:Jason still visits... or is it the new owner, using Jason's login?

ACP? I think to stop and restart g.r.emlin would require admin login to the unix box.

denis_berthier wrote:AFAIK, this has to be done page by page, which drastically limits what can be saved by anyone.

Scripting can help automate a fair bit of the process.

Windows 10 comes with curl.exe (a command line tool) - it can be used to download web pages.

This downloads the Board Index page (saved in index.html):
curl.exe http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/ > index.html

These gets you the 4 pages of this thread:
curl.exe -O http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/hardest-thread-disappeared-t40014.html
curl.exe -O http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/hardest-thread-disappeared-t40014-15.html
curl.exe -O http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/hardest-thread-disappeared-t40014-30.html
curl.exe -O http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/hardest-thread-disappeared-t40014-45.html

This gets you the 1st (of 34) pages in the 'Advanced solving techniques' section:
curl.exe -O http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/advanced-solving-techniques-f6.html

If you get all 34 pages, scripting can help extract the threads URLs.

About the saved web pages (if you saved one or more of the above):
When connected to the Internet, these display correcly in a brower, as required files and images are retrieved from the web site.
When completely offline (no Internet), the saved pages do not display correctly. The files needed can be downloaded (when online!), and the saved web pages modified to use the local copies. I've done this manually a few times, but the process can be mostly automated using scripts.

Edit: 4 pages in this thread. in future, adjust/extend as thread grows...
Last edited by 1to9only on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
1to9only

PreviousNext

Return to Forum questions and feedback