Hardest thread disappeared

Having problems with the forum software, or suggestions for improvements

Postby 1to9only » Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am

denis_berthier wrote:I've put on my website all the pages I have (from p 69 to 87).

Thanks. I have Print view saves up to p84. I think I can make up the missing pages. This will take a few weeks!
If the thread does not ressurect itself, I can zip up the Print views for download and offline viewing.
1to9only

Postby 1to9only » Wed May 25, 2022 10:56 pm

I've looked at the files I have to see what is available and recoverable.

Page 85: I can recover all 15 posts from google cache.

Page 86: I can recover 8 posts from google cache. The 8th was posted by yzfwsf at Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:23 pm.
denis_berthier's p86.pdf only saved the first 2 posts.
Don't know if someone has saved any more posts from this page. So 7 posts are still missing. Can anyone help?
I did try yahoo, yandex and baidu caches - without success!

Page 87: 1 post from bing cache + 2 posts from p87.pdf. The last post was denis_berthier's at Thu May 19, 2022 3:55 pm.
1to9only

Re:

Postby denis_berthier » Thu May 26, 2022 4:33 am

1to9only wrote:Page 86: I can recover 8 posts from google cache. The 8th was posted by yzfwsf at Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:23 pm.
denis_berthier's p86.pdf only saved the first 2 posts.
Page 87: 1 post from bing cache + 2 posts from p87.pdf. The last post was denis_berthier's at Thu May 19, 2022 3:55 pm.

Sorry about p. 86. I've searched my TimeMachine, but I didn't find anything longer than what I've posted. Note that I made these copies in a non-systematic way, only for my personal use (so that I don't have to go to the same pages of the website many times) and I didn't expect I would ever use them for anything else.

p87.pdf is complete: my post was the last one before the thread disappeared. I hope there is no secret code in it that freezes the thread.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Re: Hardest thread disappeared

Postby denis_berthier » Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 am

eleven wrote:Has anyone tried to contact jason@enjoysudoku.com ? (my email is secret)

I've finally sent an email to this address. Let's see if it works.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby coloin » Fri May 27, 2022 10:27 am

Maybe an independant site backup would be prudent ...
If JasonLion is ill or cant hand over the reins .... hopefully he is on holiday somewhere
coloin

Postby denis_berthier » Fri May 27, 2022 11:25 am

coloin wrote:Maybe an independant site backup would be prudent ...
If JasonLion is ill or cant hand over the reins .... hopefully he is on holiday somewhere

Sure, if anyone knows how to do this and if this is possible without having any admin password.
I guess it would also require a huge amount of disk space.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby 1to9only » Fri May 27, 2022 1:01 pm

From http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/players-forum-future-proofing-t35870.html:
tarek wrote:The forum and the mirrored resources are important for many of us & the need for future proofing is always there. I hope that all moderators can still access the servers' data backup. I will from time to time try and take and a snap shot of the forum which I encourage others to do as well.

I have no idea if tarek still does this. Nor how he does it.

denis_berthier wrote:Sure, if anyone knows how to do this and if this is possible without having any admin password.
I guess it would also require a huge amount of disk space.

I don't think I'd be given a backup copy of the web site, even if I asked very very nicely!!!!!

The problem as a guest (not logged in) or registered (logged in) user is not to use excessive bandwidth resulting in being blocked or banned!
The registered Bots (google, bing, etc.) are also limited in what pages they can 'crawl' thru some configuration file on the web server side (the one being crawled).

I myself periodically (roughly about every 5 patterns games) do incremental copies of threads of interest to me (patterns game, hardest sudokus, etc.) - they number less than or about 5 threads only. My downloads amount to a few KBs/MBs each time. For a rough idea, my 'backup' of the hardest sudokus thread is 4.5MB. I might do a few more in future!

As mentioned before, I only grab the Print view, 1 file per thread page, without the images, scripts, etc. you would be downloading if viewing the page itself - the Print view is in a format I can process using scripts to extract stats and info.

There are a few open-sourced web crawlers, the ones I've tested before would copy/download everything recursively!! I've steered clear of these.
1to9only

Postby coloin » Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 pm

Worryingly, JasonLion last posted over a year ago .....also
the forum was off line a few months back ...
coloin

Postby m_b_metcalf » Fri May 27, 2022 9:07 pm

coloin wrote:Worryingly, JasonLion last posted over a year ago .....also
the forum was off line a few months back ...

Do we need to say our tearful farewells...?
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Postby coloin » Fri May 27, 2022 9:40 pm

Code: Select all
Last visited:Wed May 25, 2022 9:39 pm

maybe he is ok !!!
coloin

Postby 1to9only » Fri May 27, 2022 9:57 pm

coloin wrote:the forum was off line a few months back ...

I recall that the IP address of the forum changed! I'm guessing that was a server move...
m_b_metcalf wrote:Do we need to say our tearful farewells...?

The domain name (enjoysudoku.com) registration expires Oct 30, 2024 - still many months to go...
1to9only

Postby Pat-Moderator » Sat May 28, 2022 4:11 am

restored
Pat-Moderator

Re:

Postby denis_berthier » Sat May 28, 2022 4:32 am

1to9only wrote:I myself periodically (roughly about every 5 patterns games) do incremental copies of threads of interest to me (patterns game, hardest sudokus, etc.) - they number less than or about 5 threads only. My downloads amount to a few KBs/MBs each time. For a rough idea, my 'backup' of the hardest sudokus thread is 4.5MB. I might do a few more in future!
As mentioned before, I only grab the Print view, 1 file per thread page, without the images, scripts, etc. you would be downloading if viewing the page itself - the Print view is in a format I can process using scripts to extract stats and info.

I have more than this: I usually keep a pdf copy of all my threads or of threads that are of particular interest to me, for my private use. It normally includes all the images and hidden parts. However, I don't do this on a systematic way and I may miss a few pages. I also have a pdf copy of some threads in the "Puzzles" section.

Let's hope this problem will remain limited to the hardest thread.

BTW, does anyone have any idea why some thread in particular would disappear, while all the rest keeps working fine?
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby denis_berthier » Sat May 28, 2022 4:44 am

Pat-Moderator wrote:restored

Pat, thanks
It's great we have it back.
Could we have an idea of what the problem was?
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Addendum

Postby 1to9only » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:46 am

To save a web page from this forum for later offline (no internet) viewing:
- use Internet Explorer (it's ancient, and unsupported!), or Firefox (I used 101.0)
- and save (Ctrl-S) the complete web page (you'll end up with an htm(l) file and a folder (containing files!))
- for offline use, double-click on the htm(l) file, this does a good job at displaying the web page asis (some icons may be missing!)
- embedded images are displayed, code blocks are displayed, hidden blocks are displayed (click Show)
- the links should also work (if online)

In IE saving the web page as a single file (.mht) does not work so well.
The Chrome based browsers (I tried 3!! but not Chrome itself!) also dont work well.
1to9only

PreviousNext

Return to Forum questions and feedback