World Cup is on!

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby Hud » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:18 pm

I actually watched a bit of the US/Italia game today. I understand the call against the US denying them of what would have been goal #2. I suppose I'd call it "interference", but I believe they called it "offside". What is "offside" in soccer? I saw a stat where the Italians had quite a few of them, and wondered if it was similar to "offside" in hockey. The Italians almost got goal #2 of their own, but even if it hadn't been wide right, I think the goalie might have stopped the shot. At least the US came to play today, and tied what is probably a pretty good team.

I have to sneak in a US Open Golf post since I hesitate to start a thread about it. The announcers mentioned that there were quite a few Europeans (most from the British Isles) on the leader board near the end of round 3 today. Many faded late, but that was probably the course taking its toll on the players. The rough seems to be a good place to stay out of. I was also gratified to see that Monty (Colin Montgomerie) is somewhat a fan favorite in this tournament. He surely paid his dues since he used to be heckled unmercifully when he played in this country. I believe that if one is treated harshly and takes it goodnaturedly, the fans will come around eventually. Now we'll see if Paul Casey is ever accepted (another story). Phil Mickelson seems to be a tremendous favorite in NY as he definitely is here in Arizona. He attended ASU which is several miles from my home. He lost some luster when he moved back to the San Diego Area and now calls that his home.
Hud

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:24 am

MCC

Postby Hud » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:52 pm

MCC, thanks for the explanation. I had no idea there was a rule like that. In yesterday's game it was an obvious call. Now for another question: The paper said the US team played "shorthanded" yesterday. Do both teams start out with the same number of players and if so, does an injured player make a team shorthanded on the field, or just have less "bench strength"?
Hud

Postby MCC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:37 pm

Both teams start out with the same number of players, if a player is injured he can be taken off and substituted for (I lost track of how many substitutions are allowed now in a game).
If a player is sent off by the referee he cannot be substituted for, so the team has to play with a player less. If more than one player is sent off, it's the same, they have to manage with less players on the field.

Re the yellow and red cards - I'll leave that to someone else to explain.
Or click here.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:56 pm

Hud, the US was shorthanded because they had 2 players expulsed from the match. They were initially "longhanded" (as Italy got 1 player expulsed first).

In soccer both teams start with 11 players (1 goalkeeper + 10 other players). The referee will give 2 different cards for serious fouls or violations: A yellow card which acts as a warning, or a red card which means immediate expulsion (and unlike hockey the player cannot return to the match anymore, and unlike basketball/baseball he cannot be replaced with another player, so after an expulsion the team will have 1 fewer player for the rest of the match). Naturally, if a player receives 2 yellow cards, he'll get an immediate red card (sort of like in basketball - 2 tech fouls=ejection)...

In the Italy-US game, first one of the Italians got a red card, so Italy was down to 10 men early (against US's 11). But later 2 of the Americans got red cards (one of them got it by virtue of receiving 2 yellow cards), so at the end it was 9 on 10 from the US's perspective.

Furthermore, if a player get a red card, he'll be suspended for the next match, and same goes if he accumulated 2 yellow cards in 2 separated matches, he'll also be suspended for the next match. For example, if a player receive a red card in the 1st minute of a match (must be a very serious offence), he'll be expulsed from the match and the next one, effectively missing 2 matches in a row. On the other hand, if a player gets a yellow card in the 1st match, and then plays the next match without receiving any cards, and gets another yellow card in the 3rd match, he can still plays until the end of that match (provided he doesn't get another card), but will miss the 4th match (if any) because of suspension.

As for substitution goes, I believe a team can only substitute for 3 players at most in each official match (like the World Cup ones), but in friendlies there seems to be no limits (I recalled the England coach substituted the whole team in a match against Australia a few years ago). And in most case once a player is replaced he can't come back...

Off to watch the Australia-Brazil match now... Fingers crossed...:)

[Edited after the game]The Aussies lost 2-0... Oh well... At least we put up a good fight... It could have easily been a draw or a loss by a greater margin... Now we need to focus on the next match against Croatia where we need a win or a draw to advance...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:46 pm

udosuk, I was feeling badly for you Aussies after the Brazil Game, but it evened out after Phil Mickelson's brain freeze on the 18th hole in the US Open giving the match to Ogilvy. There for awhile I thought he was one of us (US), but found out he's from Melbourne and only lives now in the hated town of Scottsdale (Snotsdale).
In the soccer game, the announcers gave the Australian guy a bad time when a shot at the open goal would have tied the score, but after rewinding it and slo-moing it, the goal tender might have forced him to hurry his shot. One thing I like about soccer is that the clock runs almost continuously and the games go pretty quickly. The sport will never be popular in the US since there aren't enough commercials.
Thanks very much for the explanations of substitutions and shorthandedness. Now it's on to the NBA 5th game that the Mavs will definitely win by 15 points lol.
Hud

World Cup is on

Postby Cec » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:43 am

Hud wrote:udosuk, I was feeling badly for you Aussies after the Brazil Game, but it evened out after Phil Mickelson's brain freeze on the 18th hole in the US Open giving the match to Ogilvey.

Yes Hud .. it was great to see Ogilvy win but the player I felt more sorry for was Colin Montgomerie who you rightly gave accolades to yesterday. I don't think "Montie" has won a major but he's came close so many times - the disappointed look on his face said it all when his second shot on the 18th landed in the rough a whisker short of the green. Just one more metre or so would have landed him on the green allowing the "normal" two puts which would have given him the title.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:12 am

Yeah, the Aussies squandered so many scoring chances but Brazil missed their fair share too... I think our nation used up all the good karma for the weekend (beating England in Rugby Union, Ogilvy winning the US open, Hewitt winning the tournament in London)... But at least Japan and Croatia played to a scoreless draw and we could still advance if we draw with Croatia in the last match (and Brazil doesn't lose to Japan badly)...
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:54 pm

It's alright for England... A draw is good enough for them to avoid Germany... And Sven is a happy man...:) Now who's waiting for them? An Ecuadorian team just thrashed 3-0 by Germany...:D

Poor T&T bows out with a limp...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Cec, I felt badly for Montie when he seemed to blow the championship but he was undershadowed by Mickelson's meltdown, Jim Furyk also blew a chance to get into a tie for the lead also. I'm taking golf swing lessons and they seem to be pointing me in a good direction for eventually getting better at that frustrating game.

I guess Ecuador ate too much Weinerschnitzel during its days off. Germany is probably a strong team though. I hope the "home court" advantage doesn't apply in soccer as it does in basketball. Mark Cuban the Dallas Mavericks owner got fined $250,000 for his outbursts at the officials and the commissioner of the league after last Sunday's game. He could afford it since he was smart enough to walk away from the "Dot-Com" stock market bubble with full pockets. I had my share for a time, but left most of it on-the-table. There was talk on sports radio this morning about soccer players faking injuries to get penalty calls very similar to basketball players flopping to get penalties called.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:47 am

Home court surely helps in soccer... France won in 1998 and Korea went all the way to the final 4 in 2002... And England won their only world cup at home in 1966...

Also, players (especially forwards) flopping to try to get a penalty or a card for the opposing players are quite common, although the referee could instead give them a yellow card if he/she thinks they're faking a fall, and in the last tournament I recalled an Italian player getting his 2nd yellow card (and thus expulsion) in the final minutes against Korea for this reason, and replays showed he's in fact truly fouled, so another example of home teams getting favoured calls...

England, now one Michael Owen less, will meet Portugal or Netherlands if they get past Ecuador... And possibly Brazil in the semis... At least they won't meet Germany or Argentina until the final...
udosuk

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Has anyone ever watched a match where a player gets 3 yellow cards?
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:20 pm

udosuk wrote:Has anyone ever watched a match where a player gets 3 yellow cards?

No. The first yellow card is a warning (caution), if the player transgresses again - even if it's a different offence - it's an automatic red card and he's sent off. See here

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Crazy Girl » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:09 pm

Luna,
The (english) referee in the Australia vs Croatia match gave a yellow card, then later in the match gave a second yellow card and forgot about the red card, so the player got a third yellow card and got sent off.
the referee handed out 9 (8) Yellow cards resulting in 3 players getting sent off in the match.

buy the looks of it the Aussie's need a new Goalie, or at least one with a pair of glasses to catch the ball:!: but the aussie's looked unlucky when viduka was held by a Croatia player and rugby tackled to the ground not to get a reward.

Australia are through to the next round but USA are out (another one bites the dust...) the Aussie's face Italy in the next round.

buy the way can you replace an injured player with a new substitute from home:?:

[edited thanks to udosuk]
Last edited by Crazy Girl on Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy Girl

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:37 pm

Thanks Crazy Girl's explanation. Didn't know the referee was English. Now that explains it...:D

BTW it was Croatia we played, not Czech Republic which belong to the other group and got kicked out by the Italians (who we're gonna face next)...

AND our goalie for this match was the reserve one, picked because of his height against the big and physical Croatian forwards. I'm sure our coach probably won't play him again in the later matches...

We got 2 penalties turned down, the Viduka rugby-tackled one and another clear hand-ball one in the 2nd half... That and the player who received 2 yellow cards but not a red card almost ruined our chances...

Also, I don't think you can replace an injured player with a new player from home. So Michael Owen could not be replaced by Hesky or another forward...
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar