What am I? (2)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:34 am

Oh so close.

Look upon Half Tell as crossword lingo.

If you've got a dictionary, take a step or two backwards.

MCC
MCC

Postby tarek » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:03 pm

That was a huge clue MCC........

going 2 places up the dictionary (glad to have an online dictionary)...we get..... Tittle....but wasn't that mentioned before:?:

tarek
tarek

Postby emm » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:14 pm

A synonym for tell on = tattle = contains a word that answers the first part = I never cross my i's, I dot them = tat (making lace could make you cross eyed)

Crossword lingo for half tell = te, el, tl

When I is big I don’t need it = teat / tail (if you were a frog)

Tattle is ‘half there’

Are you a tattletale?
emm

Postby MCC » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:09 pm

Well done Tarek.

Yes, TITTLE is the correct answer.

Tittle n. 1 a small written or printed stroke or dot.

As in the dot/point/mark over the lower case (i).

MCC wrote:But don't half tell on me.

To tell = Tittle-Tattle.

To half tell therefore = half of Tittle-Tattle.

Tarek wrote:That was a huge clue MCC...going 2 places up the dictionary (glad to have an online dictionary)...we get..... Tittle....but wasn't that mentioned before:?:

It was a hugh clue but Emm failed to pick up on it even though she was the one to mentioned Tittle-Tattle.

And although Tittle-Tattle was mentioned it was not the answer to the riddle, therefore the hugh clue to keep people on track.

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:31 pm

Ewps! I should have waited for MCC to reply - I assumed that Tarek was correct and that we'd already said tittle.

It’s the time delay. Like in the olden days when you made a long distance phone call and there'd be a pause and you'd start speaking and then the other person's last sentence would come through. You needed to be patient and wait for the reply. Luckily, that doesn't seem to happen any more, except on the internet.

I’m a little crestfallen that you said I failed , MCC.:( I don't feel so much that I failed, per se, but rather that I need to be more patient. That's my problem - I'm not patient and I really need to be. And I really want to be. I do. I really, really want to be very, very patient RIGHT NOW!
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:46 pm

Oh, I dunno about being patient. It was all I could do not to demand the answer right there and then, about a whole page ago.

I'd like to thank MCC for the mind-curdling riddle(s).

Any more?

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby tarek » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:13 pm

good one MCC, lucky guess from my side (I still think that the apostrophe was the answer:D )....

As lluna said, what's next........:?:

tarek
tarek

Postby MCC » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:19 pm

Ok, having just done a couple of night shifts I'm feeling a bit jaded and while I'm waiting for the muse to strike, this is off the cuff and may be a bit too easy.

The hunter's souvenirs were mailed to him but when he recieved them they were eye-less.

The word I'm looking for does not contain itself, what am I:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby emm » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:52 pm

Trophies -> trophes -> post her -> poster (a picture, not the thing itself)
emm

Postby udosuk » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:57 pm

I thought the answer could be emm's favourite one - apostrophe...

But emm seems always obsessed with anagrams...
udosuk

Postby emm » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:26 pm

Who me? Obsessed??

I think it's Tarek who's the apo'strophe-nut, though I like the apostrophe theory - there are actually the correct number of apostrophes in the world, only half of them are in the wrong places - possibly more than half these day's.:D
emm

Postby tarek » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:07 pm

you must be joking MCC,

.....udosuk & emm, you have been so focused on apostrophe that you forgot it may be apostrophes, the plural of apostrophe, which is trophies - i & does not contain itself (apo)......

as you know apo means without.... so that may be the answer:D

apos trophe not:D
tarek

Postby Ruud » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:34 pm

I think you are close, Tarek, but the explanation for "does not contain itself" may refer to "'" the HTML code for the poor thing.

So the answer would be apostrophes, not apo.

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby emm » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:54 pm

It must be apostrophes 'cos it's not apostrophe's.
emm

What am I

Postby Cec » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:02 am

MCC wrote:Ok, having just done a couple of night shifts I'm feeling a bit jaded ....."

Well done MCC for this new idea. Whilst I haven't got the "know how" to work these "riddles" out the members' responses to solve them are certainly interesting to read. This is just a thought - perhaps this new riddle should be a new post "What am I? (3)" as I suspect there'll be numbers (4) then (5) and so on to follow because of the favourable responses.
Cec
Cec

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar