The comeback of brainteasers

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

I will be d@mned...:!:

Of course it should have been "academic institution" instead of "academic institute". Bigtone53 is perfectly right they're slightly different and I am the one at fault for this mistake. I'll correct it above. Thanks!:)

I never regard symmetry has anything to do with a sudoku being "nice" so I don't suppose you need to delve into that idea too much. I'm not that capable to design a puzzle with a certain move (together with singles for all the rest) within a certain set of cells in a particular shape, with symmetry on top of that. You've over-estimated me.:)

Thanks for the story about the IBM computer. You're not too far regarding the guess of my day job.:)

In fact you guys have found all the information necessary to crack this one. It's really not that hard, as it is only meant to pose as a pastime before tarek's next riddle.:idea:
udosuk

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:20 am

Running in a quad sounds like the sprint to try and get round the path in the Great Court of Trinity College, Cambridge in the time it takes the clock to strike 12, so Trinity College or Cambridge University. I am a Queens' man myself.:D

PS I guess that I should add that Cambridge does not have quads as such; this is very much an Oxford (aka South Midlands Poly) thing, like gyps (O) and bedders (C). Cambridge has courts.:D
Bigtone53

Postby tarek » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Some free time at last,

Oxford........ I was there today. What a miserable day to be there:( (Rain, traffic, rain, traffic, rain , rain......)

Any way The quad + roadrunner to me means a sprinting relay team ..... are the American Olympic trials organised in an academic institution ???!!!

The other thing would be a tangent on what was mentioned regarding IBM .... The 1st computer was in an academic institution wasn't it ???

tarek
tarek

Postby Glyn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Following Tarek's theme the Track & Field trials for the Olympics are from June 27 - July 6, 2008 at Hayward Field, University of Oregon.

So if University of Oregon is the answer then effectively Tarek has cracked it again.
Glyn

Postby udosuk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Well, guys, all I can say is you're making things more complicated than they should be.:(

Bigtone53 has mentioned an important word that nobody (including himself) has pay much attention to. Without that word I don't think you can progress much toward the correct answer.:idea:
udosuk

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Regardless of the answer to udosuk's fill-in, I am sure that Vladimir and Estragon are on tarek's case.:D
Bigtone53

Postby tarek » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Just for laughs. RoadRunner is bird ,so is a Thunderbird(also a supercomputer). The Thunderbird School of Global management is in Glendale, Arizona. Glendale, Arizona has the University of Phoenix Stadium (another bird).... & is the hometown of the Arizona Cardinals (yet another bird) & the Phoenix Coyotes (back to Roadrunner) .... Now that is NICE loop & a quad (Roadrunner, Thunderbird, Cardinal & Phoenix):D

Bigtone53 wrote:I am sure that Vladimir and Estragon are on tarek's case.:D
should we hang ourselves then:(:!:

tarek
tarek

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:41 pm

tarek wrote:should we hang ourselves then

No, just looking forward to your problem when you are ready:D
Bigtone53

Postby Glyn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Take Roadrunner
and something Bigtone53 has mentioned:- Naked Quad
Put them together to get Streaker.

The term streaking was apparently coined in 1973 by a reporter watching a "mass nude run" by over 500 participants at the University of Maryland.

But we could be after the largest group streak by 1,543 at the University of Georgia. The possibilities are endless.
Glyn

Postby udosuk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:32 am

Glyn wrote:The possibilities are endless.

You're getting really close. But if you throw in the correct combination of keywords into Google one of those endless possibilities is staring right at you.:idea:

If it's still too hard, here is a major hint so that we can get over it and be ready for tarek (aka Godot:D ):

Triple click to read the major hint I wrote:2 keywords are from solving the Sudoku
1 keyword is from the cartoon character
1 keyword is from the concept of "academic institution"

The answer should be obtainable from Google even if not all of these keywords are used.
udosuk

Postby Bigtone53 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Apologies for no contribution today. Sudoku.com was 'unobtainable'. Perhaps my IT Dept have caught up with me.:(

All well now that I am home though
Bigtone53

Postby Bigtone53 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:35 am

Bigtone53

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:53 am

Tufts University is the answer. Well done Bigtone53!:D

If you google "naked quad runner", "naked quad university" or even "naked quad", you should be able to find this special event:

Naked Quad Run

There is even a youtube video of it which caused a bit of controversy.:idea:

I was trying to google different Sudoku terms and see what stuffs other than Sudoku I could find. This is one of those "side products".:)

So off to you Bigtone53, if tarek still isn't prepared yet. (His new killer representation is a pretty nice piece of brainteaser though, if applied some subtle masking.):D
udosuk

Postby tarek » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:42 am

No .... No more waiting for Godot ......

This should be easy:D

Code: Select all
Zacatecas
Tombouctou
Memphis
Somapura Mahavihara
Cyrene
Taipei 101
Burj Dubai
What am I ?
tarek

Postby tarek » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm

udosuk just hinted to this as being a very challenging brainteaser
Code: Select all
H<G<K7<6<^M<<^Q<<^A^6<^L<^D^^^g<<^^^B<<^3^I<<AVC^<^GN9^^^<J>^^^H^<<^>>^E^<9<^7<>^

It was a new way of representing killer sudokus:D

tarek
tarek

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar