Sports talk (formerly NBA talk)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby Hud » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:16 am

I've heard of the condition you described that Sun Ming Ming has. I don't know much about it, but I don't think one can be in very good health after growing that way. I kinda recall "Andre The Giant" having it, but I could be wrong. I believe the Pituitary Gland causes it if it gets compromised?

I had mixed emotions about the Yanks/Tigers tonight. Being a lifelong Yankee hater I wanted them to lose, but I wanted RJ to pitch well. I really think his back hurts his pitching, but doubt that he'll use it as an excuse. If at all possible, the Tigers had better beat them while they have them down. The A's pitching is supposed to be terrific, but aside from Zito, I don't know much about them. Hudson (no relation to me lol) was great with them, but left them for more $.

Now you have me wondering. Have you ever seen the Himalayas?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:51 am

Hud wrote:I had mixed emotions about the Yanks/Tigers tonight. Being a lifelong Yankee hater I wanted them to lose, but I wanted RJ to pitch well. I really think his back hurts his pitching, but doubt that he'll use it as an excuse. If at all possible, the Tigers had better beat them while they have them down.

No need to ponder... RJ's back is hurting and the Yanks are on the brink again... I don't have a strong affection to them as a team but I would really like to see Wang pitch again... Wish he has a chance to be the saviour in game 5... I mentioned that for some reason the Yankee's offence are always turned on whenever he pitches... And too bad for them when he's not pitching their bats are as cold as the Himalayas...:(

Hud wrote:The A's pitching is supposed to be terrific, but aside from Zito, I don't know much about them. Hudson (no relation to me lol) was great with them, but left them for more $.

The Twins are out in 3... And many "experts" predicted them to win it all...:) So much so for the Twin's home advantage in Metrodome... Now I wonder if the Yankees or the Tigers could match the A's pitching... Perhaps the pitching from the Tigers could...

Hud wrote:Now you have me wondering. Have you ever seen the Himalayas?

In media, but not in real life (yet)...

Didn't thought it would become a riddle... But anyway, here's a hint: when I say "between", I mean it...

PS:
The Yankees bowed out in a limp... I don't think Steinbrenner will keep A-Rod for the next season now... I keep thinking if I'm Joe Torre, would I have pitched Wang (my most reliable pitcher against the Tigers) in game 4 instead... But the "pride of the Yanks" probably won't allow that to happen... After all it's their batting that let them down anyway...

On the other hand, after the Padres denied the Cards in game 3, La Russa is happy to use Carpenter in game 4, making him unavailable for game 1 in the next round (should they advance)...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:57 pm

Well the playoff picture is getting clearer now. I wish Wang had pitched yesterday's game for the Yanks to test your theory. I've seen it happen many times where a pitcher seemed to get better run support from his team, and I've seen the opposite. One year when RJ was here, he got hardly any run support. I think he got pretty good support this year, but obviously not in game 3 against the Tigers.

Today is the fiftieth anniversary of Don Larsen's perfect game for the Yankees against the Dodgers in 1956. I remember seeing reports of it, but games then were all day games, and I was in army basic training. Larsen had been with my Orioles, but was traded to the Yanks shortly after Bob Turley went to the Yanks.

Can I rule out The Pescadores Islands?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:28 pm

Hud wrote:Today is the fiftieth anniversary of Don Larsen's perfect game for the Yankees against the Dodgers in 1956. I remember seeing reports of it, but games then were all day games, and I was in army basic training. Larsen had been with my Orioles, but was traded to the Yanks shortly after Bob Turley went to the Yanks.

Yep, read about him a bit here... Seems a stroke of great luck brought him to that perfect game (only ever postseason no-hitter)... His last out was a called strikeout... I bet by that time the umpire would have been hard to call a ball...

Hud wrote:Can I rule out The Pescadores Islands?

Yes, rule them out... Also this and this, rule them all out...:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:38 pm

Today is still pro football day here. I played golf with the 75 year old guy 2 doors down, and was lucky to tie him. On the way home, he stopped at a nephew's house and he placed a bet on the Denver Broncos tonight against the Baltimore Ravens. He had to give 4 1/2 points. The over/under score total is 33 points so I bet $20 on over. If the total points of both teams is over, I win. I never bet on sports, but that sounds like a small bet to lose.

Not Haitan Island?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:16 am

Just checked, the Broncos defeated the Ravens 13-3... So your friend obviously had won and you had unfortunately lost your $20... Too bad...:(

Perhaps better to bet on MLB... I'm betting the Tigers beating the Cards 4-3 in the WS...:) Probably a long shot but just ask how many had predicted the Yankees, Twins, Padres to lose?

Not Haitan Island (never heard of it)... Nor any other island...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:15 pm

Damn, it had to rain in Denver last night. I doubt that it mattered since both teams have been playing great defense so far this year. I suppose this is why I seldom bet. Maybe I can get the old guy to buy the beer next golfday.

I predict it'll be A's/Mets in the series. That should keep us interested.

Back to the drawing board (I used to be a designer) if not an island. I hae a hunch, but it'll require some mor thought.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:13 pm

I wanted to talk about the Tigers' 2-0 commanding lead in the ALCS... But the overwhelming story right now is Cory Lidle of course... What were the odds of a Yankee pitcher crashing his plane into a New York apartment building?:!: Scary thoughts... Like the speculation that if Torre had pitched Wang in game 4, this tragedy could have been avoided...:!::?:

About "the riddle" (if you're still interested), you should rule out any place belonging to the ROC as I'm not from that country/province/region/whatever...:idea:
udosuk

Postby Hud » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:59 pm

I was impressed by the Tigers hitting in the clutch. Did you hear me chewing out Leland for taking out the pitcher who pitched such an impressive 8th inning and put in his "closer". If Frank Thomas had hit that final pitch a bit better, it would have made my night.

That was an interesting point about Wang and coincidences. I can recall many coincidences that changed my life and not all for the better.

I had pretty much ruled out the ROC. Now I have to figure out another island from my original question to start with. I don't believe the island is Japan, but I have to mention it.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:28 am

The Cards lost game 1, but the good news for them is because of the rainout yesterday Chris Carpenter got to pitch game 2... I have a feeling that if they could get him to start twice in this series the Cards would have a good chance...

It seemed the Lidle event didn't strike the nation as hugely as I had thought... Perhaps it's a good phenomenon that people aren't as easily affected by tragic events as before...

And no I'm not related to Japan... You won't go too far if you keep looking for islands...
udosuk

Postby Hud » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:33 pm

That was a pretty good game last night, especially if you like pitcher's duels. I feel that each pitcher pitched above his capabilities. Now, we'll probably get a 10 to 8 slugfest. If the A's don't win the next game, I suppose they're toast.

Amare Stoudemire had a couple OK games in-a-row this week. D'Antoni started losing patience with him, and maybe it was a wakeup call? I suppose if one doesn't experience whatever discomfort he has, one shouldn't be critical. Eric Swann of NFL, and Penny Hardaway of the Suns both had similar surgery, and never returned to 100% form. Amare is younger and his injury was less severe. I hate to keep rehashing that though.

Sorry about misspelling Leyland's Name. I always considered him a great baseball manager.

In the back of my mind, I keep being intrigued by the possibility that your homeland might have been a war zone 30 some and 50 some years ago.
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:52 am

The 2nd Mets-Cards game was a 9-6 slugfest. Carpenter got shelled for 5 runs, but their batters rallied in the last 3 innings... Like I said, some pitchers don't necessary play their best but always bring luck to the team...:)

On the other hand, Kenny Rogers pitched a gem and hasn't allowed a postseason run so far... Do you think the A's are truly toasted or will they pull off a "Red Sox act"? For some reason I always like Jim Leyland, probably for his 1997 Marlins...
Hud wrote:In the back of my mind, I keep being intrigued by the possibility that your homeland might have been a war zone 30 some and 50 some years ago.

War zone 30 years ago - Vietnam? No...
War zone 50 years ago - Korea? No...
However, my "homeland" was at war in WWII... I suppose it doesn't help much...:D
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:04 pm

I really feel the A's are toast now. I didn't see any of their game yesterday, and it may have been over when I posted my dire warning. Detroit is looking a lot like destiny's team this year. I'll never understand what caused their late season slump.

The Mets/Cards game did turn into a bit of a slugfest after the pitcher's duel in game one. It would have been a great catch, but Shawn Green catching the ball by Spezio probably would have changed the outcome of the game.

I added the war in the 50s due to the French fighting the Vietminh (?) in around 1954.
I think I'm finally narrowing things down now. Did a woman married to a president of the country in question have many pairs of shoes?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:31 pm

Hud wrote:I added the war in the 50s due to the French fighting the Vietminh (?) in around 1954.
I think I'm finally narrowing things down now. Did a woman married to a president of the country in question have many pairs of shoes?

Let's refresh... I'm particularly interested in the performance of Yao Ming and Chien-Ming Wang etc... Would a Filipino be like that? Maybe, but not that typical right?

That said, you're certainly closing in geographically speaking...:)

I think the 2 NBA teams I'll put most interest on are the Rockets (obviously) and the Magic... With a healthy Grant Hill and youngsters like Darko Milicic & Dwight Howard... I'd also keep an eye on the Pistons, which looks in very good preseason form now (because all their major players are playing and the new center Nazr Mohammed seems to merge well with the lineup)... But I'm quite surprised that KG remains in Minnesota & AI remains in Philadelphia... Many had thought they'd move on now...

Perhaps I should change the subject of this thread to "Sports talk" instead of "NBA talk"... Or "The Hud/udosuk column"...:D But those 18000+ views couldn't be by you and me alone... So I guess there are probably some loyal readers keep following our innocent discussion here...:) Too bad none (or so few) of them chose to join in...
udosuk

Postby emm » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Well I for one can’t contribute to your erudite discussion of sporting matters but I’m keenly following Hud’s quest to uncover udosuk’s roots.:D
emm

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar