Sports talk (brand new thread)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Sports talk (brand new thread)

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:58 am

This is a brand new thread for sporting chats and insights from our Sudoku community. The old thread has some technical issues and must be closed. Feel free to continue the discussions here.:)

I'll start with an innocent little baseball-related riddle:

What do you call a game-ending pitcher who doesn't listen to his catcher?

Have fun with it.:D
udosuk

Postby Smythe Dakota » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:35 am

A passed baller?

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby udosuk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:A passed baller?

Incorrect. It's a one-word answer.:)
udosuk

Postby Hud » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:12 pm

I'm sure this isn't right, but while I ponder it, I'll through out:
Unsavory
Hud

Postby udosuk » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:27 pm

Hud wrote:Unsavory

Sorry to say this isn't right as well. The answer is a shorter word, and it's a noun as well.

Think more along the lines of word play.

More MLB thoughts:

Today the BoSox squandered a 4-run lead from Dice-K in the last 2 innings by the O's, much to my delight.:) Bonds seem to be getting on a groove once he got past the hump. I hope he finish on 777 HRs, a very attractive record.:) The D-backs are almost unstoppable, and it's hard to imagine what they could achieve if they had a healthy Big Unit.

On AFL:

Thanks to Cec's Richmond Tigers upsetting the hated Collingwood Magpies last night, which is doing our home team a big favour.:)
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:35 pm

udosuk wrote:"...Thanks to Cec's Richmond Tigers upsetting the hated Collingwood Magpies last night, which is doing our home team a big favour.:) "

I actually tipped my beloved "Tigers" to beat the Collingwood Magpies even though Richmond had lost its last nine matches. It was just a hunch and desperation on my part to catch up to my wife who is beating me in our family football tipping contest.

Cec
Cec

Postby Hud » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:03 am

Hmmm, I'll hve to look up "tipping".

I got desperate and ordered a "TaylorMade R-7 driver on E-bay for $175 after shipping. I hope it arrives as advertised.

I didn't realize that Dice-k's bullpen let him down yesterday against the O's. Maybe Ganyea (sorry sp) isn't all that good.

Still thinking about the game ending pitcher, but not having much luck. Too bad MCC doesn't frequent this thread.

Tiger Woods had a so-so golf game today, but no one else did any better. He looks unbeatable with his drives in the fairway.

I wish I got the D-backs game on my TV today since Webb has been lights out lately.
Hud

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:53 am

Hud wrote:"Hmmm, I'll hve to look up "tipping..."

Hud, in Australia, the word "Tipping" in relation to football sweeps is used when selecting or choosing a particular team(s) to beat another team(s). As an analogy to your country's popular baseball I would assume the D-backs team would beat BoSox team so we would " tip" D-backs to beat BoSox. "Tipping" teams to win in competition attracts a lot of punters over here in "Tipping" Competitions though I personally don't bet on the football but have a "flutter" each week hoping to win a prize in the "Tattslotto" draw.

I hope all this makes sense:?:

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:22 am

Hud wrote:Still thinking about the game ending pitcher, but not having much luck. Too bad MCC doesn't frequent this thread.

I'm not really into sports but I do keep an eye on the thread.

udosuk wrote:What do you call a game-ending pitcher who doesn't listen to his catcher?

I would have gone with "fired" or "sacked".

MCC
MCC

Re: Sports Talk

Postby udosuk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:15 am

Hate to see you guys struggling with that little innocent riddle, so I'll elaborate it a bit.

• How do people generally call a pitcher who's main job is to end games?
  • How do people abbrievate the positions of the fielding team in baseball?
If you have the sporting knowledge to answer both these questions, the answer to the riddle should be obvious to you.:idea:
udosuk

Postby re'born » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:54 am

udosuk wrote:Hate to see you guys struggling with that little innocent riddle, so I'll elaborate it a bit.

• How do people generally call a pitcher who's main job is to end games?
  • How do people abbrievate the positions of the fielding team in baseball?
If you have the sporting knowledge to answer both these questions, the answer to the riddle should be obvious to you.:idea:

*the closer
*pitcher=1, catcher=2

But I still don't know the answer. I will continue to ponder.
re'born

Postby Cec » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:30 pm

udosuk wrote:"Hate to see you guys struggling with that little innocent riddle..."

Udosuk, speaking for myself, whilst I have some understanding of baseball, I think one would have to have a fairly good grasp of the rules, jargon, etc. to come up with an answer to this riddle.

In appreciation of your help on my log-in problem, I hope you enjoy this baseball yarn...

A five-year old boy, learning to play baseball with a bat in one hand and ball in the other, became frustrated from calling out "bad hit" after he repeatedly failed to hit the ball after tossing it in the air. He eventually stopped becoming frustrated by calling out "good pitcher" every time he missed hitting the ball.

Cec
Cec

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:42 pm

udosuk wrote:.... If you have the sporting knowledge to answer both these questions, the answer to the riddle should be obvious to you.

Well, "C-Closer" and "2-Closer" and "C-Reliever" and "2-Reliever" come to mind, but these really don't make any sense, nor do the reverse versions, such as "Closer-C". I think we need another hint.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby udosuk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:47 pm

Gosh, you guys have no idea how close you've got to the actual answer.:!:

Remember,
I wrote: Think more along the lines of word play.

Adam/re'born, of my 2 elaborated questions, you've got one of them right. Not to say the other was totally wrong, but there're other alternative answers and you haven't picked the correct one.

Cec wrote:Udosuk, speaking for myself, whilst I have some understanding of baseball, I think one would have to have a fairly good grasp of the rules, jargon, etc. to come up with an answer to this riddle.

Not really. I'd say anybody who loosely follow the sport can answer this riddle. You just need to know a certain term (which is often mentioned in baseball-related news on TV & newspaper) and also how fielding positions are abbrieviated (as displayed in all televised baseball games).

That said, I won't be surprised if Australian/British sport fans who only know about cricket and never pay any attention to baseball can't solve this riddle at all.

Lastly, I must say if somebody took his time to read through all the posts above carefully, he might realise the answer which has somehow escaped from his eyes!:)
udosuk

Postby Ruud » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Not into baseball at all, but wordplay is fun.

My answer is Loser

(Listen carefully, I tried Closer, but you cannot hear the C)

Ruud
Ruud

Next

Return to Coffee bar