Sports talk (brand new thread)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Re: Sports Talk

Postby udosuk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:25 pm

Cec wrote:Unless I'm mis-interpreting your meaning here, this appears to be along the lines of what I finally suggested, ie. if both teams score the same number of runs then a result is decided on a single unique system of who scores the most runs in a "mini-play-off", either each team batting say another three overs or each player bats to face one ball - this would meet your criteria of both teams being asked to do the same thing.

Oh yeah, I forgot to address your nice suggestion last time. This "extra overs" method does make sense, and is probably more interesting than the bowl-out. However I think one over each turn is good enough, three overs might be too long. Just like in baseball, the extra contest goes one inning each time.

Australia did overhaul Sri Lanka in emphatic fashion without their captain Ricky Ponting. The bad news is the replacement, Shane Watson got injured too, which again leaves Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson as the only 4 reliable bowlers for the team. In all 3 matches we won the bulk of the runs are scored by our opening batsmen, Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist (particularly Hayden). It's a bit worrying for us to see our team's success hinging on the performance of 2 guys in batting and 4 guys in bowling.:(

On the other side of the world, our women soccer team, the Matildas are in the quarterfinals of the World Cup in China, by holding Canada to a 2-2 draw with a goal in injury time. I watched the match, and from their performance I can't see them troubling their next opponent Brazil. They just keep kicking the ball forward without any confidence to keep possession through dribbling and short passing.
udosuk

Re: Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:11 am

udosuk wrote:"...This "extra overs" method does make sense, and is probably more interesting than the bowl-out. However I think one over each turn is good enough, three overs might be too long. Just like in baseball, the extra contest goes one inning each time...."

Yes udosuk, I like your idea of just one extra over "shoot-out" rather than my suggested three extra overs. This would be far more entertaining to spectators and TV viewers compared to the five ball bowling shoot out without batsmen taking any part to defend the wicket.

Let's hope our two opening batsmen can maintain their form for the finals.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:25 am

I have sort of expected the Aussies to lose to India in the World Twenty20 semifinal. The Indians surely got some excitingly talented young guys who can consistently hit the ball out of the ground for sixes in quick succession. Once again the top 4 Aussie bowlers did a decent job but it was the combo of Symonds+Clarke filling in for the remaining 4 overs letting the team down. Yuvraj Singh (70 runs off 30 balls) was once again the hero after hitting 6 sixes in one over and 50 runs in 12 balls against England previously. India and Pakistan will meet in the final for a rematch of the previous tie and another tie for a bowl-out to decide the champion will be very exciting.
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:33 am

I'm a bit late but congratulations to India for winning the World Twenty20 Cricket Final.

As to the end of the Football season I'm still in awe at Geelong's dominance in thrashing Port Adelaide by just on 20 goals to win the AFL Grand Final on Saturday - the biggest winning margin in the history of VFL and AFL competiton. I can't recall seeing a team play better football in a final.
Gee, I'll be "lost" for the next five months or so with no football to watch on TV although I suspect others are probably glad for a break with so much of this game on TV.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:03 pm

Well, congratulations for the Victorian teams on sweeping the 2 major profession footy codes in Australia during the past weekend.:)

You can still cheer our national rugby union team in the World Cup in France, they'll take on England in the quarter-final soon.

It's a pity Hud is too busy working on his house or his family problems. The MLB season is down to the crunch time and it has been very exciting. It takes 2 or more for a sport chat and when there is nobody else to give responses I don't feel like posting my thoughts. Well I guess this thread will have to stay quiet for a while, unless some other participants feel like posting their views about any sport at all.:)
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:15 am

udosuk wrote:"Well, congratulations for the Victorian teams on sweeping the 2 major profession footy codes in Australia during the past weekend.:) ..."

My apologies for overlooking Storm's great win over Manly in the NRL Grand Final. Whilst I have little interest in watching rugby I should have at least been patriotic in congratulating Storm.

I know the AFL competition is now finished for 2007 but I must make a parting shot at the Brownlow Medal being decided by votes from umpires.
Whilst Geelong player Jimmy Bartel, is a fine player, I thought Garry Ablett Jnr. a far better player as confirmed by his winning virtually all other awards judged by media commentators.

The following two examples highlight poor judgement from the umpires in casting votes - I'm sure there are many other examples.

1. At the end of the season (I think Round 21) Ablett had 35 possessions which most would have been productive and his game was applauded by the media in the after-match talk back shows. He received one vote from the umpires.

2. Brisbane Lions player, Simon Black had only fifteen possessions and was soundly beaten by the Richmond defenders in their drawn game yet Black was awarded three votes.:?:

Over the years there has been conjecture as to whether umpires are the best persons to award votes given their difficult task of controlling the game such as awarding free kicks, etc. Perhaps the opposition coaches and captains could cast these votes instead of the umpires.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:50 am

I've just witnessed an incredible MLB game and have to post something about it. Even if there is no other baseball fans visiting here.

The Colorado Rockies, playing a do-or-die tiebreaking game against the San Diego Padres for a spot in the playoffs, are down 2 runs going into the bottom of the 13th inning (the 4th extra inning). They were facing Trevor Hoffman, whom many consider as one of the best closing pitcher in baseball history. Amazingly, they scored 3 runs off him for only 1 out, which is a sacrifice fly for the winning run. If this doesn't count as a miracle I don't know what does. Just a few weeks ago, they were like 7 games behind the Padres for the wildcard and nobody gave them any chance to make the playoffs. But they rallied by winning 14 of the final 15 games of the regular season, and mostly against very strong opponents. I'm in awe now.:!:

Cec, about the Brownow Medal, sorry I wasn't following. But I remember it as a prize for the "best and fairest" player in the field. So perhaps some players do well in stats but did some nasty things which prevents them for getting more votes. For example, making dirty remarks to the umps and other players, too much limb actions on opponents etc. Perhaps the umpires are in the best position to give assessment on the players on this aspect. Just a thought.:idea:
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 am

udosuk wrote:"...Cec, about the Brownlow Medal... So perhaps some players do well in stats but did some nasty things which prevents them for getting more votes...... . Perhaps the umpires are in the best position to give assessment on the players on this aspect. Just a thought.:idea: "

Your points are well taken Udosuk and I must confess to forgetting about the "fairness" aspect to win this award. That said, from the numerous Geelong games I watched during the season, Gary Ablett always appeared to only play the ball and I can't recall ever seeing him portray unfair behaviour or argue to the umpires. Like most people, I expected him to win the medal by a big margin and was amazed he didn't win.

It appears Australia, having scored over 300runs, should beat India in the fifty-over ODI - currently they are nine wickets down for 191 runs.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:19 am

Well, my run of seeing the teams I support losing out continues after seeing the Yankees bowed out at home disgracefully.:( Chien-Ming Wang started on 3 days rest and got hammered for 4 runs in the first 2 innings and took 2 losses in the ALDS against the Indians. Joe Torre will be fired, Wang will be traded to another team and I can stop caring about sports for a while (including the upcoming NBA season). I won't even talk about the Aussie cricketers losing in India. Ciao.
udosuk

Postby P13 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:53 am

udosuk wrote:Well, my run of seeing the teams I support losing out continues after seeing the Yankees bowed out at home disgracefully.:( Chien-Ming Wang started on 3 days rest and got hammered for 4 runs in the first 2 innings and took 2 losses in the ALDS against the Indians. Joe Torre will be fired, Wang will be traded to another team and I can stop caring about sports for a while (including the upcoming NBA season). I won't even talk about the Aussie cricketers losing in India. Ciao.

There's still some good baseball to watch...don't give up! The Flubs (Cubs) are out, and the Rockies/Diamond Backs matchup is really good. On the AL side the Indians and Red Sox are fun to watch also.

Of course, I'm still disappointed in the Cardinals, but there's always next year.
P13

Previous

Return to Coffee bar