Sports talk (brand new thread)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Ruud wrote:Not into baseball at all, but wordplay is fun.

My answer is Loser

(Listen carefully, I tried Closer, but you cannot hear the C)

Well done Ruud, for someone who's not into baseball.:D

Your reasoning is much more exciting and "in your face" than my own.:!:

My reasoning goes like this: a pitcher who listens to his catcher on how and where to pitch the ball is called "to be led by his catcher". So, for a closer who doesn't listen to his catcher, you can say:

"A closer, without a leading C, will become a loser (i.e. will lose the game/become the losing pitcher)."

Ruud's dialogue would be much more lively for a catcher to tell such a pitcher, but he must have a pretty strong accent to pronounce rhyming "closer" & "loser".:D

BTW, I couldn't believe Bill didn't recognise the answer when he typed "Closer-C" (i.e. "Closer minus C").:!:

---

Now that we got the riddle cracked, we can continue our sports chatting.

Firstly thanks for the baseball jokes from Cec, keep them coming if you have more! Jokes about other sports will also be welcome.:)

And the BoSox relief pitcher Hud mentioned must be Eric Gagne, a former Cy Young winner as a Dodgers closer. And Webb has just pitched 2 complete game shutouts on a row, and 33 scoreless innings on the run. Perhaps a perfect game is around the corner.:?:

Hud, good luck on the golf course with your $175 driver. I hope Tiger collapses and John Senden wins it but probably too unlikely.:) Felt a bit for Sergio Garcia who got disqualified because his playing partner made a mistake on his scorecard though.
udosuk

Postby Hud » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:20 pm

Yeah, it has to have something to do with "closer". The part about not listening to his catcher is key imo. If the term is a noun of short length, I really need to put on my thinking cap (or D-back cap).

Webb pitched another great game last night. That makes 33 shutout innings in a row. Hershheiser has the record of something like 59 innings.

Added later: I just noticed udosuk's last post. Well done Ruud.
Hud

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 am

Well done Ruud for solving this riddle. I must confess to considering Udosuk's riddle being far too difficult for anyone not being familiar with the rules and/or jargon of baseball. Anyway, here's a cute little story I recently came across....

A 5-year old boy, learning to play baseball, became increasingly frustrated after tossing a ball into the air with one hand but failing to hit the ball with his bat held in the other hand. He eventually lost his frustration by calling out after every third toss "great pitching - you're out".

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:22 am

On page 1, Cec wrote:A five-year old boy, learning to play baseball with a bat in one hand and ball in the other, became frustrated from calling out "bad hit" after he repeatedly failed to hit the ball after tossing it in the air. He eventually stopped becoming frustrated by calling out "good pitcher" every time he missed hitting the ball.

Above, Cec wrote:A 5-year old boy, learning to play baseball, became increasingly frustrated after tossing a ball into the air with one hand but failing to hit the ball with his bat held in the other hand. He eventually lost his frustration by calling out after every third toss "great pitching - you're out".

Am I the only one wondering if Cec is trying to write a series on this storyline or is he suffering from short-term memory loss?:D Cute innocent joke though.:)
udosuk

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:12 am

udosuk wrote:"...Am I the only one wondering if Cec is trying to write a series on this storyline or is he suffering from short-term memory loss?...."

Udosuk, I'm just as bewilded as you are in my baseball joke appearing twice in the same thread but I hope this explanation will give me a reprieve from being certified.

As mentioned in the log in dilemma thread, a power failure occurred late last night just as I'd completed typing this joke the first time but because I hadn't hit the "submit" button I assumed the joke had not been sent.

Believing I hadn't hit the "submit" button last night (but now I'm not sure about this seeing the joke was published), I retyped the joke this morning when the power had been restored but which necessitated somewhat different phrasing because I couldn't remember exactly how I phrased the joke the first time.

I notice you don't mind sporting jokes being posted and I hope not to make an ass of myself again - or is it three strikes and I'm out:)

Cec
Cec

Postby Bigtone53 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:08 pm

An easy one for the non-baseball enthusiasts.

What is the connection between a famous Mr van Rijn and a not particularly desired role in cricket (not one-day)?
Bigtone53

Sports Talk

Postby Cec » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:15 pm

Here's a subtle joke. Did you hear about the athlete who won the 50 kilometre walk three years running?

Cec
Cec

Re: Sports Talk

Postby udosuk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:56 pm

Cec wrote:I notice you don't mind sporting jokes being posted and I hope not to make an ass of myself again - or is it three strikes and I'm out:)

It seemed I was the one making an ass of myself.:) No worries, it seems you've just hit 2 safe hits with no outs.:D

Bigtone53 wrote:What is the connection between a famous Mr van Rijn and a not particularly desired role in cricket (not one-day)?

A picture is better than a thousand words.:D
udosuk

Postby MCC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:04 am

How about "Night Watch" by Rembrandt van Rijn, and
A nightwatchman in cricket:?:

The commom term therefore, is "night watch".

MCC
MCC

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:50 am

How about "Night Watch" by Rembrandt van Rijn, and
A nightwatchman in cricket

The commom term therefore, is "night watch".

Correct. MCC. I said it was easy:D . Perhaps I should have referred to the Melborne Cup rather than to cricket.

Thanks for the picture udosuk.
Bigtone53

Postby MCC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:12 pm

This one may be easy for baseball fanatics.

What is the word link that connects "baseball" and the "Star War" films:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby Hud » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Is "walker" too obvious?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:40 pm

I can think of a few words:

Force - "may the force be with you"
Empire - "evil empire"
Strike - "the empire strikes back"
American - self explanatory