Patterns Game Strategies

Interactive on-site game threads go here

Re:

Postby m_b_metcalf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Pat wrote:can update 5.8
from game 289

It's not in my records yet: the game's still open.

[Edit] Now done.
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Re: Patterns Game Strategies

Postby enxio27 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:53 pm

<moved>
enxio27

Postby m_b_metcalf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:33 pm

enxio27 wrote:::: comment :::
m_b_metcalf wrote:Well, one tried and tested method is, as champagne has already mentioned somewhere, is vicinity searching.

I've seen that mentioned, but I don't understand what it means (that terminology thing again) or how to do a vicinity search.

Well, basically, you take a promising existing puzzle, called the seed, and vary the value(s) of n of its clues (where n is typically 1 to 5), and check whether the result is valid and interesting. When you add filters, for instance to ensure that ED has some minimum value (for instance, not a single), it does become more complicated.

HTH

Mike Metcalf
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Postby enxio27 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:55 pm

m_b_metcalf wrote:Well, basically, you take a promising existing puzzle, called the seed, and vary the value(s) of n of its clues (where n is typically 1 to 5), and check whether the result is valid and interesting. When you add filters, for instance to ensure that ED has some minimum value (for instance, not a single), it does become more complicated.

Can gsf sudoku do this (with the correct parameters)? If not, is there another freely available tool to do it?
enxio27

Postby m_b_metcalf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:58 pm

enxio27 wrote:
m_b_metcalf wrote:Well, basically, you take a promising existing puzzle, called the seed, and vary the value(s) of n of its clues (where n is typically 1 to 5), and check whether the result is valid and interesting. When you add filters, for instance to ensure that ED has some minimum value (for instance, not a single), it does become more complicated.

Can gsf sudoku do this (with the correct parameters)? If not, is there another freely available tool to do it?

Sorry, I've no idea. Apart from SE, I've written every line of code I use myself.
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Postby champagne » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 pm

enxio27 wrote:Can gsf sudoku do this (with the correct parameters)? If not, is there another freely available tool to do it?

I don't know about gsf's programs but ...

If you want to play actively in the game and to find your own strategy, I have no problem to share all my execs (windows) and command lines.
Having all the exec keeps many things open

Just to be clear, compared to Mike and Patrice, I am missing all tools collecting data on the web. On my side, this is purely a manual follow up
champagne
2017 Supporter

Postby m_b_metcalf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 pm

For the sake of completeness, there is a further type of vicinity search, namely a stochastic 'walk' through puzzle space. Choose, say, two values to alter simultaneously. If the result fulfils the criteria you're using, change a further two, and so on. You need to check, of course, that you don't get back to where you started and loop forever.

regards,

Mike Metcalf
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Previous

Return to Interactive games