Killer Sudoku

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

Postby whohe » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:22 am

kuff28704 wrote:
whohe wrote:There's a neat (and rather obvious) trick that makes these a lot simpler than they first appear....

any chance of some enlightenment for the rest of us?

The fact that rows, columns, and boxes must sum to 45.
whohe

Postby Pi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:01 am

Karyobin wrote:
And by the way, did anybody else find today's 'Fiendish' vacuously easy? I'm willing to accept that I may have just happened to find the next cell first time every time by sheer fluke, but it did seem a doodle to me.

Yep it took me 7m 30secs
Pi

Postby Pi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:07 am

whohe wrote:
kuff28704 wrote:
whohe wrote:There's a neat (and rather obvious) trick that makes these a lot simpler than they first appear....

any chance of some enlightenment for the rest of us?

The fact that rows, columns, and boxes must sum to 45.

That is very usefull on the harder ones, however i *%#&ed up one of them cause i thought they had to add up to 50
Pi

confirmation

Postby domt » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 am

Hi everybody,

just found this forum today. it's giving me a good read. Please, as has been asked, can someone verify whether the internal linked boxes have to have different numbers. i.e. if an internal box adds to 26 across a unit, could the numbers be two sixes and two sevens?

---

sorry for the crude diagram but i think you get the gist!
domt

Postby Pi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:59 am

i don't see why not, as long as the two sixes aren't in the same row, collum or mini square
Pi

Postby zaphod » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:01 am

There is no reason why numbers cannot be repeated within the sum boxes so long as there is no conflict with traditional sudoku rules.

BTW did anyone else require an X-wing (the 7 in r2c2, r2c3, r4c2, r4c3) to solve the tricky puzzle yesterday... Maybe the 45 summation rule would have prevented this i don't know. I have never done the times sudoku before (the hardest guardian ones never require x-wings to complete the puzzle), so i was little surprised... i'm about to start the tough now
zaphod

Postby Karyobin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:05 am

I'm honestly at a loss to see how the '45' rule helps in any way, (other than giving you a '5' in the centre of yesterday's front cover one). Surely you could use the same approach in conventional sudoku - it just doesn't actually get you anywhere. I'd really appreciate an example of how this has helped anyone.

Addendum: Have just clocked whohe's post in another area. I was actually using that approach, but I must have not realised it's full import, what with people's fathers coming back from the dead and not having any Stella in me at all.
Karyobin

Postby Pi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:10 am

In the Tough Puzzle the top right mini square was split into three sum boxes, two 15's and part of a 16, the two 15's were totals in that min square and the combined sum of those was 30, to complete that min square 15 of the 16 in the other area are in that square and so the other number in the 16 area is a 1

I appologise if i have confused you
Pi

Postby Pi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:12 am

Karyobin wrote:
Addendum: Have just clocked whohe's post in another area. I was actually using that approach, but I must have not realised it's full import, what with people's fathers coming back from the dead and not having any Stella in me at all.

???????

Are you refering to last nights episode of lost??
Pi

Postby Karyobin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:17 am

AHAaahhaaa!!! I knew I'd catch someone with that. Gettin' weird though innit? One of my friends reckons they're all in purgatory but we'd better not get too far off topic, I think this 'Killer' thread has got legs.

"Dogs don't like cats, dogs like bones and honneeeeyyyyy..."

(Good Charlotte - original lyrics)
Karyobin

Postby hazza » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm

Pi wrote:
Karyobin wrote:
And by the way, did anybody else find today's 'Fiendish' vacuously easy? I'm willing to accept that I may have just happened to find the next cell first time every time by sheer fluke, but it did seem a doodle to me.

Yep it took me 7m 30secs

I agree as before I had not got anywhere close to completing a fiendish, and i finished this one with the ease that should be found in a moderate.

I think it was easy because there was 29 starting numbers, whereas normal ones have 26.

An easy fiendish it may have been but a fiendish is a fiendish nonetheless.

:!:HaZZa:!:
hazza

Postby Pi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:43 pm

I agree it was feindish, the different ratings need to be taken into consideration when solving a puzle, i once mistook a mild for a feindsh and it took 15 mins!
Pi

Postby CathyW » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:58 pm

Obvious when you know:!::D Thanks for the total = 45 tip for each box, row and column - I've already managed to put in a few more numbers to the moderate and tricky from yesterday's set of five. Today's 'moderate' was much easier (as well as the fiendish).
CathyW

Postby kuff28704 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:01 pm

yer, today's moderate had some of the one box cheats where they may as well put the numbers in for u grrrr.

but at least it wasn't stupidly hard like yesterdays
kuff28704

Postby Pi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:02 pm

Does anyone know if the guide times on the killers are times for a good or a bad player, todays moderate took 14 mins when the guide was 11, am i good or bad?
Pi

PreviousNext

Return to Sudoku variants