Can You Solve This Without Trial and Error?

For fans of Kakuro

Re: Can You Solve This Without Trial and Error?

Postby Authority » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:52 pm

saul wrote:
Authority wrote:This is why I am not fond of kakuros that require T&E to solve, especially when the interface does not allow it easily. But this makes me a hypocrite because some of the hard-rated daily puzzles on my site seem to need T&E, and the interface isn't conducive to allowing it.

I read this post too quickly the first time. When you say "my site" does that mean you have a kakuro site? If so, please tell us where it is.

Yeah, I made a thread about it soliciting feedback, so there should be a link there. It has a kakuro generator and solver (great for ATK puzzles!), as well as a timed daily puzzle. The generator doesn't produce puzzles as hard as the ATK hards, but the the daily puzzles for Fridays can be pretty hard.
Authority

Postby saul » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:47 am

Authority wrote:Yeah, I made a thread about it soliciting feedback, so there should be a link there.

Sorry, I'm not finding the thread. Please post the link to your site in response to this post, if you would. (Or post the the link to your thread, if you'd rather.)
saul

Postby Mani » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:25 am

Saul,
"H6441.png (87.14 KiB) Viewed 6 times
Can anyone give me a hint as to how to proceed?"

Well, there is a glaring error in the rightmost 29 vertical where you have included 7 instead of 8 (29=1234568). Correcting that, and preferably restarting from the beginning for I don't know if your position contains any other errors may land you the solution.
Mani

Postby Authority » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:50 am

saul wrote:
Authority wrote:Yeah, I made a thread about it soliciting feedback, so there should be a link there.

Sorry, I'm not finding the thread. Please post the link to your site in response to this post, if you would. (Or post the the link to your thread, if you'd rather.)

I avoided posting the link because I think posts with URLs need to be admin-approved, but we'll see. http://www.kakuro-online.com

Edit: I was wrong! I can post all the links I want, haha!
Authority

Postby Mani » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Authority wrote:
saul wrote:

I avoided posting the link because I think posts with URLs need to be admin-approved, but we'll see. http://www.kakuro-online.com

Edit: I was wrong! I can post all the links I want, haha!

Well, I generated a 15X15 hard and solved it after going astray a couple of times. Solvable, not too hard as Authority rightly said as the ATK hard ones.
Simple and nice interface. I didn't like the barrier imposed on the cursor moving across void cells which ATK permits. That would make the navigation easier. Two more observations:

- didn't find a feedback link,
- unless it is in Login but it is not clear how to sign up.

Overall, nice site!
Mani

Postby saul » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Mani wrote:Saul,
"H6441.png (87.14 KiB) Viewed 6 times
Can anyone give me a hint as to how to proceed?"

Well, there is a glaring error in the rightmost 29 vertical where you have included 7 instead of 8 (29=1234568). Correcting that, and preferably restarting from the beginning for I don't know if your position contains any other errors may land you the solution.

Thanks. I did it over from the beginning without T&E, although I used a swordfish (if that's what it's called) and a couple of little surface sums. It's a very nice puzzle.
Last edited by saul on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
saul

Postby Authority » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Mani wrote:Well, I generated a 15X15 hard and solved it after going astray a couple of times. Solvable, not too hard as Authority rightly said as the ATK hard ones.
Simple and nice interface. I didn't like the barrier imposed on the cursor moving across void cells which ATK permits. That would make the navigation easier. Two more observations:

- didn't find a feedback link,
- unless it is in Login but it is not clear how to sign up.

Overall, nice site!

There is now a create account link on the login page. I also updated the interface to allow free movement of the active cell. There is a contact link on the bottom of all the pages, and also a feedback thread on the forum. Any future discussion of my site should occur there. I'm done hijacking this thread!
Authority

Postby saul » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:28 am

Mani wrote:I just cracked one of the 2 toughies I was at for a while. Try H64411. It is nice providing many challenges along the way to try every technique that one has in one's armoury.

Actually, I found H64411 quite straightforward, although I had to use trial and error at the end; it's too bad there's no way of recording and discussing solutions.
saul

Postby saul » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:12 am

I just solved another 13-by-13 hard ATK puzzle without T&E, but I stupidly forgot to note the number. Some time ago, Denis asked me why I was so concerned with avoiding T&E, and I've finally found the answer. I just enjoy it so much more when I don't have to use T&E.
saul

Postby saul » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Try H41352 if you like tough ones. I had to use trial and error rather early, as well as an elaborate surface sum.

While doing this puzzle, I made an inference I am not aware of having used before, simple though it is. I had candidates of 68 and 69 in the same segment, and I realized that I couldn't have an 8 or 9 elsewhere in the same segment, or there would be two 6's. It's hard to believe I never noticed this before, but I had a definite "aha" feeling. I imagine this is one of the sudoku fish. Do you know its name?
saul

Postby Smythe Dakota » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm

saul wrote: .... I made an inference I am not aware of having used before, simple though it is. I had candidates of 68 and 69 in the same segment, and I realized that I couldn't have an 8 or 9 elsewhere in the same segment, or there would be two 6's. ....

That's not correct, is it? You could have an 8 or 9 elsewhere, you just couldn't have both an 8 and 9 elsewhere.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby saul » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 am

Smythe Dakota wrote:
saul wrote: .... I made an inference I am not aware of having used before, simple though it is. I had candidates of 68 and 69 in the same segment, and I realized that I couldn't have an 8 or 9 elsewhere in the same segment, or there would be two 6's. ....

That's not correct, is it? You could have an 8 or 9 elsewhere, you just couldn't have both an 8 and 9 elsewhere.

Bill Smythe

You're right, of course. I think I just had a brain cramp.
saul

Postby Mani » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:41 am

The second toughie I just cracked, with some external guidance, was H51271. Every Kakuro afficianado should give this a try.
Mani

Postby Authority » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Mani wrote:The second toughie I just cracked, with some external guidance, was H51271. Every Kakuro afficianado should give this a try.

The interesting part was the top-right corner. Other than that the puzzle was fairly straightforward, except for the bottom-left which needed T&E.
Authority

Postby saul » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:42 am

Mani wrote:The second toughie I just cracked, with some external guidance, was H51271. Every Kakuro afficianado should give this a try.

For a tough one, try H22361. I haven't been able to get anywhere with it.
saul

PreviousNext

Return to Kakuro