X-Cycles questions

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Re: X-Cycles questions

Postby Mino21 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:57 am

Let's see if I understand: in practice two consecutive group-nodes can have a cell in common only if connected by a strong link, right?

So can all these 3 cases

be part of a valid cycle?
“Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.”
Mino21

Postby yzfwsf » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:18 pm

Strong and weak must alternate in the AIC or Cycle. Cases 1 and 2 are not possible in AIC or Cycle.Case 3 is valid.
For overlapping groupped links, the previous is weak link and the next is weak link , it itself acts as a strong link.
yzfwsf

Postby Mino21 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:59 pm

yzfwsf wrote:Strong and weak must alternate in the AIC or Cycle.

Why? I think a cycle can have any number of odd subsequences of consecutive strong links and only 1 even subsequence of consecutive strong links.

Sorry if I insist, but the following statement
Mino21 wrote:in practice two consecutive group-nodes can have a cell in common only if connected by a strong link, right?

is to be considered true or false?
“Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.”
Mino21

Postby eleven » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:26 pm

"(r8c8 r9c8)--(r8c8 r8c9)"
This is not a weak link, which would mean, that if a digit is on one side, it cannot be on the other side. But r8c8 is on both sides.
eleven

Postby Mino21 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:45 am

Okay, and I assume that the same reasoning would have applied even if the link had been strong ... so we can conclude that two consecutive group-nodes cannot under any circumstances have a cell in common, right?

And does this possibly apply (I don't know if from a practical point of view it can happen) even if the two group-nodes are not consecutive?

Sorry if my questions may sound stupid!
Mino21

Postby yzfwsf » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:13 am

In a word, the state of overlapping cells is indeterminate, and this uncertainty cannot affect subsequent logical reasoning.
yzfwsf

Postby Mino21 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:05 am

yzfwsf wrote:In a word, the state of overlapping cells is indeterminate, and this uncertainty cannot affect subsequent logical reasoning.

Why?
Isn't this:
Mino21 wrote:two consecutive group-nodes cannot under any circumstances have a cell in common

a consequence of this:
eleven wrote:"(r8c8 r9c8)--(r8c8 r8c9)"
This is not a weak link, which would mean, that if a digit is on one side, it cannot be on the other side. But r8c8 is on both sides.

?

Alternatively, could you give me an example of a cycle with two consecutive group nodes sharing a cell?
Mino21

Postby Mino21 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:38 am

_UP_
Mino21

Postby Pat » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:40 am

Pat

Re:

Postby Mino21 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:18 pm

Pat wrote:does this help?

I don't think...

Is it so difficult to answer this question?
Mino21 wrote:Isn't this:
Mino21 wrote:two consecutive group-nodes cannot under any circumstances have a cell in common

a consequence of this:
eleven wrote:"(r8c8 r9c8)--(r8c8 r8c9)"

?

Alternatively, could you give me an example of a cycle with two consecutive group-nodes sharing a cell?

EDIT:

To be more specific, if what I have assumed is true, then in the following case:

ignoring singles-nodes cases, we can only have the following 2 cases:

Mino21

Postby Pat » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:01 pm

you recently asked:
Mino21 wrote:
—so we can conclude that two consecutive group-nodes cannot under any circumstances have a cell in common, right?

and got a response from yzfwsf;
if this response needs clarification,
i do hope someone finds the right words.
Pat

Re:

Postby Mino21 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:20 pm

Maybe I don't understand that response cause I'm stupid, but believing something without a logical explanation is equivalent to believing a religious dogma.

I hope someone can answer the questions posed in my previous message.
Mino21

Postby Cenoman » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:32 pm

Definition of a strong link:
A, B are (sudoku) logical variables (i.e. they can be True or False), typically candidates, groups of candidates, sets of candidates (pairs, triples, quads,...)

They are in a strong link if at least one is TRUE.
They are in a weak link if at most one is TRUE.
A strong link is equivalent to the logical equation A OR B = TRUE
A weak link is equivalent to the logical equation A NAND B = TRUE

In Eureka notation, a strong link is written A = B, a weak link is written A - B (symbols '=' and '-' are used in a fully different way than in maths)
Code: Select all
     c1  c2  c3 
   +---+---+---+
r1 | x | x | x |
r2 |   | x |   |
r3 |   | x |   |
   +---+---+---+

The configuration of five candidates of the same digit in a box (I assume it to be box 1) that you consider repeatedly in this thread is that of the Empty Rectangle: in this configuration, you can write three strong links (encompassing the five candidates)
Xr1c123 = Xr123c2
Xr1c13 = Xr123c2
Xr1c123 = Xr23c2

but only two weak links (encompassing the five candidates)
Xr1c123 - Xr23c2
Xr1c13 - Xr123c2

The assertion
two consecutive group-nodes cannot under any circumstances have a cell in common

is false. As shown above, two consecutive group-nodes that are in a STRONG LINK can have a cell in common, but two consecutive group-nodes that are in a WEAK LINK must be disjoint.
Cenoman
Cenoman

Postby Mino21 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:18 pm

Cenoman wrote:A strong link is equivalent to the logical equation A OR B = TRUE
A weak link is equivalent to the logical equation A NAND B = TRUE

About strong link, why OR and not XOR?
In x-cycles (not grouped) a strong link means only 2 candidates in a unit, and this implies that one is true and the other is false, they cannot be both true.
Mino21

Postby P.O. » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:49 pm

hi Mino21,
in a weak group link the value considered is eliminated, you have full knowledge, you can do what you want with another value;
in a strong group link, one of the value considered is true, you don't known which one, you don't have full knowledge, you can't do anything with it.
P.O.

PreviousNext

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques