Wrong assumptions

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:24 am

Well Cec, what a final... 5 games between these teams, with a total of 12 points of margins... Last year, we lost by 4 in the 1st round, and won by 4 at the end. This year, we won by 1 in the 1st round, and lost by 1 at the end. What a symmetry!

I'm still 100% proud of our team, considering the size of the deficit they were able to fight back, and almost prevailed at the end... Our "main man" Barry Hall had a very sub-par performance (but it's probably due to his opposing player, Daniel Glass)... Otherwise for sure we would have won...

I'm sure you enjoyed it much as a "3rd party audience"...:)
udosuk

Wrong assumptions

Postby Cec » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:10 am

udosuk wrote:"Well Cec, what a final.......I'm sure you enjoyed it much as a "3rd party audience"...:)

Commiserations udosuk ...definitely one of the great classical Grand Finals. Yes, even as a third-party "Tiger" supporter the tension during the final ten minutes or so was almost unbearable to watch when one kick separated the two sides. The 97,000 or so spectators really got their money's worth.

I thought Barry Hall received unfair attention from his opponent but even so Hall's kicking for goal and marking was well below his usual high standard.

Just before three-quarter time the "Swans" were showing greater stamina and I expected they would overun the "Eagles" in the final quarter. To their credit the "Eagles" held on to win exacting "revenge" on their four-point loss last year. It was one of those games where it was a pity to have a loser.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Thanks for your commiserations Cec... And some back to you on Melbourne losing to Brisbane in the NRL final (although I know you don't care a lot...:) ) It's just not the year for both our cities... The NBL season just started but I suspect you don't care much about basketball neither... Last season your team beat our team in the final, let's see what happen this season...:)
udosuk

Wrong assumptions

Postby Cec » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:35 pm

udosuk wrote:"Thanks for your commiserations Cec... The NBL season just started but I suspect you don't care much about basketball neither..."

I don't mind basketball udosuk but I just can't get excited about NRL. Now that the AFL season has finished until about February next year I'm looking forward to the cricket season and hope the Test series is as exciting as the last "Ashes" series. The Melbourne Boxing Day Test is expected to draw about 90,000 spectators on the opening day.

Other sports I enjoy are golf, tennis, badminton and athletics, particularly the pole vault, which I competed at in my youth. At my current age and weight, the pole would now probably break:)

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:54 pm

Yes, we're all looking forward to exact some revenge on the Poms this summer in the Ashes...:)

Funny about the pole vault, we've produced some great female competitors in the last decade (with Emma George & Tatiana Grigorieva coming to mind)... But I take absolutely no interest to try it myself after watching a footage with one of the male competitors having a "painful accident" (where he fell onto the tip of the pole with a certain delicate body part:!: )...
udosuk

Wrong assumptions

Postby Cec » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:14 pm

udosuk wrote:"..But I take absolutely no interest to try it myself after watching a footage with one of the male competitors having a "painful accident" (where he fell onto the tip of the pole with a certain delicate body part:!: )

That would have been a disaster if the pole broke because it counts as a failed attempt:)

Hey! how come you are more interested in the female pole vaulters ... I think we now have the two male first and second rankings in the world.. viz. Steve Hooker* and Paul Burgess.

* edited by Cec 3.56pm 3 Oct. Thanks to udosuk for correct spelling

Cec
Last edited by Cec on Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cec

Postby udosuk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 am

I admit I'm usually more interested in female atheletes in most sports...:)

But is it a joke about the 1st & 2nd ranked pole vaulters in the world?:D

Steve Brooker is an English soccer player in Bristol City...

Paul Burgess is an English rock drummer...

Alright so you're talking about "Steve Hooker" and a different Paul Burgess...

BTW I don't think male pole vaulting is interesting anymore after the retirement of Sergei Bubka...
udosuk

Postby emm » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:43 am

Cec, the thought of you pole vaulting has absolutely made my day.:D Wunderbar!

Have a quick peek then tell me if I'm breaking a copyright.

Can you explain the ARL? I watched a bit - the players were tackling and scragging each other whether or not they had the ball or were anywhere near the play. Are those the rules?
emm

Wrong assumptions

Postby Cec » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:46 am

emm wrote:"..Have a quick peek then tell me if I'm breaking a copyright."

I don't know about copyrights but I think you're safe. The legs on the guy on the right looks familiar though his pole looks thicker than what mine was.

emm wrote:"..Can you explain the ARL? I watched a bit - the players were tackling and scragging each other whether or not they had the ball or were anywhere near the play. Are those the rules?

Someone had a letter in today's Melbourne "Herald-Sun" on the criteria of not needing a neck to play the game. Now seriously, I don't understand the rules myself and I would welcome udosuk to explain the basic rules.

Cec
Cec

Wrong assumptions

Postby Cec » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:07 am

udosuk wrote:"..But is it a joke about the 1st & 2nd ranked pole vaulters in the world?:D ..."

Firstly, thanks udosuk for correct spelling of Steve Hooker.

No, I wasn't joking about these rankings. The pole vault world rankings were published a month or two back in the Melbourne "Herald Sun". Now I could be wrong but I thought Hooker and Burgess were the top two but not sure in which order. Like you, I was surprised with these rankings. Another Australian vaulter, Demetriou Markov, is slowly getting back to his 6metre plus vaulting form after a leg injury following his world title win a few years ago.

Yes, Sergei Bubka was the best but all records are made to be broken....

Cec
Cec

Re: Wrong assumptions

Postby udosuk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:55 am

Cec wrote:
emm wrote:"..Can you explain the ARL? I watched a bit - the players were tackling and scragging each other whether or not they had the ball or were anywhere near the play. Are those the rules?

Someone had a letter in today's Melbourne "Herald-Sun" on the criteria of not needing a neck to play the game. Now seriously, I don't understand the rules myself and I would welcome udosuk to explain the basic rules.

emm, are you talking about AFL or NRL? NRL is the National Rugby League, and I think the game of Rugby League is popular in England too (it's invented there!)... If you're referring to AFL (Australian Football League), then players pushing and shoving each other when they're not near the play is pretty common, and the umpires seem to be quite lax about it... Perhaps Cec could explain it better...:) I must confess I'm not a Rugby League/Rugby Union fan and couldn't explain much... Wikipedia could be a useful source...:idea:

Sorry, just realise you're in NZ not England...
udosuk

Re: Wrong assumptions

Postby Cec » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:16 pm

udosuk wrote:".. I must confess I'm not a Rugby League/Rugby Union fan and couldn't explain much... Wikipedia could be a useful source... "

Sorry udosuk... I thought you were a fan of NRL (National Rugby League) because of mentioning Sunday's NRL Grand Final at Sydney where the "Brisbane Broncos" beat "Melbourne Storm."

emm said she was watching a bit of an "ARL" game and I'm assuming this NRL Grand Final was the game emm was referring to but I could be wrong here also. I had a quick look at Wikipedia but couldn't see any reference to the rules.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:09 pm

udosuk

Wrong assumptions

Postby Cec » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Thanks for the links udosuk. I entered "NRL" into the Wikipedia site and couldn't see any reference to rules. I never thought to just type in "Rugby League".

Cec
Cec

Postby emm » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:45 am

I meant AFL - the game where they wear shorts that were meant for smaller men. Ay carumba! Did you know the AFL started out as a way to keep Aussie cricketers fit through the winter? Did someone already say that?

Personally, I think pole vaulting is a lot classier. I have just seen an amazing photo of someone (she says mysteriously) sailing through the air when he/she was younger. Now that is class! ... hey, I wonder if I could do that. Maybe if I had a good run up and a flexible whatsitsname.:D
emm

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar