Wimbledon

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby udosuk » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:40 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:Discussion here seem to concentrate on his mental/attitude rather than his game but he's young yet so we'll see if he gets a coach and a new attitude!

But it's his game not his mentality that lose against Baghdatis (who, as we Aussies know, can beat anybody when his game's turned on). But no doubt Murray as of now is much much better than Henman...
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:02 am

udosuk wrote:But it's his game not his mentality that lose against Baghdatis (who, as we Aussies know, can beat anybody when his game's turned on). But no doubt Murray as of now is much much better than Henman...

I saw both of Murray's matches (i.e against Roddick and against Baghdatis) and can honestly say that I know enough about tennis to realise that in the match against Baghdatis Murray was, at best, lacklustre. Against Roddick he was on fire. Given that he can play well enough to beat a player like Roddick that means he does have the game - and the measure of a great player is one who is consistently good - it's just that against Baghdatis - on that day, at that time - Murray didn't produce said game, for what ever reason. It's that that lead to speculation about the mental aspect of his game. Indeed the team who were commentating on the Baghdatis match - specifically John Lloyd - were under the impression that Murray had some kind of injury and that's why he wasn't playing well. It wasn't that Baghdatis was playing spectacularly and couldn't be touched it was that Murray was playing somewhat more badly than Baghdatis was.

However, Murray is better than Henman or Rusedski, it has to be said.

Looking forward to the Hewitt/Baghdatis match later today.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby RW » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:39 am

Just have to comment that Jarkko Nieminen is the first Finn ever to make the quarter-finals in Wimbledon! In the fourth round he beat Russias Dmitry Tursunov in a real five set thriller: 7-5 6-4 6-7(2) 6-7(6) 9-7. Today he plays Rafael Nadal... gonna be a lot tougher. Hope I can find a channel that shows the game. Tennis is not very big in Finland, so they usually don't show many games in TV.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:35 am

Oh, yes, I'm looking forward to that too.

As for coverage, I do know that it is broadcast on the web but don't know where to find it for Finland.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:55 am

RW, they said you could subscribe to www.wimbledon.org and watch all the live games... No intention to be advertising for them, Luna...

Best wishes to your Nieminen (as I don't like Nadal), and our Hewitt...:)

Okay Luna, I concede that if both Murray and Baghdatis play their best levels, the match could be a closer one (remember Baghdatis beat Roddick too in the Aussie Open)... But I must say Roddick has not played in his best form all year so beating him shouldn't be consider too big an achievement (contrary to beating Federer on grass/hardcourt or Nadal on clay).
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:55 pm

udosuk wrote:Okay Luna, I concede that if both Murray and Baghdatis play their best levels, the match could be a closer one (remember Baghdatis beat Roddick too in the Aussie Open)... But I must say Roddick has not played in his best form all year so beating him shouldn't be consider too big an achievement (contrary to beating Federer on grass/hardcourt or Nadal on clay).

True. I was so shocked at Andy Murray's good play that I must say it overshadowed the fact that I have seen Andy Roddick play better. I still think that it was a stunning achievement for Murray, it was up to Roddick to play better, he is a champion after all.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:58 am

Too bad for Hewitt, Ancic and Stepanek (Martina Hingis's alleged boyfriend)... Nieminen plays Nadal tomorrow... I won't say good luck to him as most people/teams I wish to win end up losing...:(

One of the doubles match went for more than 6 hours, 23-21 in the 5th... A new historical record...
udosuk

Wimbledon

Postby Cec » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:42 am

Not surprizing, a letter appeared in today's Melbourne "Herald-Sun" from a writer questioning why Maria Sharapova needs to "screech" seeing she is such a fine tennis player.

The writer highlights that umpires usually won't resume play if there is the slightest noise or movement coming from the stands, yet this player is allowed to screem so loudly.

From my observations, Maria Sharapova seems to commence screeming which gets louder after she has hit the ball.

I'm not aware of any players complaining about her noise during a match but this could be due to not wanting to be further distracted nor give Sharapova a psychological advantage to be "getting under their skin"

Cec
Cec

Re: Wimbledon

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:58 am

Cec wrote:From my observations, Maria Sharapova seems to commence screeming which gets louder after she has hit the ball.

I have heard that the reason some players do this is so that their opponent will hit the grunt/scream instead of the ball. I'm not sure if this is a tactic that Sharapova is using but one of the players she beat did say that she thought it was too much - then again she wasn't moved to complain to the umpire. This opponent did say that the best way to deal with it would be to beat her (Sharapova).

In commentary on another match the commentary team were saying that it was a very nice change to be able to comment on such a quiet game!

I understand that it's at the umpire's discretion - in the event that nobody complains - so we await the next match.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Re: Wimbledon

Postby Cec » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:11 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:".... I'm not sure if this is a tactic that Sharapova is using but one of the players she beat did say that she thought it was too much - then again she wasn't moved to complain to the umpire..."

Thanks for your comments ... From this player's reaction I see a dilemma in not knowing how opponents resolve the problem. ie either tolerate the screeching even though it's distracting or complain to the umpire and risk the repercussions of media exposure, etc. which could prove more distracting than the screeching. The same dilemma would possibly apply to umpires Yeh.. a somewhat delicate situation. ..for opponents and umpires ie:(

Cec
Cec

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:29 pm

Well now. Ms Sharapova is out of the championships having been beaten by Amelie Mauresmo, who didn't complain about her screeching but rather outplayed her. Way to go!

Rafael Nadal (sigh) put out Jarkko Nieminen who seemed completely overpowered at times. Nadal plays Marcos Baghdatis next in the semi-final tomorrow and it remains to be seen what the Cypriot will do with Spain's finest. Although, having had a day off and the opportunity to watch the match he may well come up with the definitive game plan.

First men's semi-final is Roger Federer against the 34 year old Jonas Bjorkman (who is unseeded!) followed by Nadal/Baghdatis. I do hope that both of these matches are closely fought affairs that will lead to an exciting final.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:55 pm

As predicted it's now Federer/Nadal in the final. Nadal's match was a little closer but not much so I do hope that these 2 can crate an exciting final.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:26 am

Everybody says Federer is the hot favourite in his "home surface"...

From a gambler's point of view it might not be too bad a shot betting on Nadal, as I think he holds a little psychological advantage carried over from the clay court season...

That said, from my personal view Federer is a much much more desired winner...
udosuk

Postby Crazy Girl » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:42 am

Venus Williams managed to make it to the mixed doubles final with Bob Bryan, ensuring an American presence, but was outplayed by the number 9 ranked pair of Andy Ram and Vera Zvonareva.
Also the Bryan brothers claimed the Men's doubles Title, ensuring Bob Bryan picked up a winner and runner up plate.

When Andy Murray played Baghdatis, maybe he was tired from his mixed doubles match earlier in the day, that contributed to his game being not on a par with that when he played Andy Roddick, and lead to his exit from the singles draw (and mixed doubles), maybe he can't yet play two matches back to back and needs to work on his fitness. John McEnroe was saying that he can play good tennis for 2 hours then he begins to tire.

:!:

I think there could be an upset in the Men's singles, and Nadal will push Federer all the way for the title. Federer is expected to win, Nadal is the underdog so there won't be so much pressure on him.
:D
Crazy Girl

Postby udosuk » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:17 pm

Surprise surprise... Mr. Federer won his 4th title in a row...:)

But not before a great fight put up by Mr. Nadal... Guess he's the clear cut world No.2 now...

The men's single, women's single & men's double champions in the Aussie Open all won here... And the women's double champs (the Chinese duo) also plays in the final... But we know the Mixed champs (Hingis & Bhupathi) didn't won (Hingis hadn't even competed, and she might have won it had she done)...
udosuk

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar