Who am I? (2)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Who am I? (2)

Postby underquark » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 pm

I am mythological but no-one has ever worshipped me.
I am fictional and deadly but of no more threat to anyone.
I am real and still pose a great threat to a great many people but less so than was believed a couple of years ago.

I am said by some to be 16 yards long, have been seen passing trough a gate 22 feet wide and many people hope that I will not, in the future, pass through a window 600 metres wide.
underquark

Postby underquark » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:16 pm

Hmm, time for more clues?

I swallowed a boat. I have travelled in a ship. No ship has visited me.
underquark

Postby MCC » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:26 pm

Ok, let's get this ball rolling.

When I saw your first post I thought it might be an asteroid or near earth object, but because of its size, had this object hit Earth, it would probably have detonated high in the atmosphere. It might have produced a blast measured in hundreds of kilotons of TNT, but may not have produced any ground level effect. So, no real threat to life.

Let's speculate.

This who is really three whos with the same name.

1 - Is mythological but not worshipped. (Perhaps swallow a boat).

2 - Is a fictional character, deadly but no real threat. (Has travelled in a ship).

3 - Is a real object and poses a great threat, less now than a few years ago. (No ship has deliberately visited this object).

All three bear the same name - the who you're after.

Ok, Underquark - How's this going so far:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby underquark » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:36 pm

Certainly you are on the right lines with your reasoning.

It is my intention that Wikipedia/Google won't deliver the correct answer straightaway by virtue of ther being too many hits per search. This one requires a human brain to link everything together. (Not a clue, just a statement - more clues later if still stuck).
underquark

Postby underquark » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:58 pm

MCC wrote:This who is really three whos with the same name.

1 - Is mythological but not worshipped. (Perhaps swallow a boat).
2 - Is a fictional character, deadly but no real threat. (Has travelled in a ship).
3 - Is a real object and poses a great threat, less now than a few years ago. (No ship has deliberately visited this object).

All three bear the same name - the who you're after.

1] Is mythological, not worshipped (and, as far as I know, never worshipped but still a prominent part of some mythology), legendarily swalowed a boat. Said to be 16 yards long.

2] Is a contemporary fictional character, was very deadly but is no more a threat. Seen to have passed through a gate 22 feet wide. Also travelled in a ship (but not through the gate in a ship).

3] Definitely real and definitely a threat to lots of people but recently this threat has been down-graded, as it were. There is a 600 metre window that many people feel it would be best if this real thing didn't go through it.
underquark

Postby Crazy Girl » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:25 pm

If one was looking along the lines of a loch ness monster or something similar, maybe not residing in the UK, would one be on the right line of thought or not:?:
Crazy Girl

Postby MCC » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Similar to what Crazy Girl has post - There are Horse-eels of Ireland and Hair-eels of Scotland, both very large conger eels.

Re number 1] - Most mythological beasts that could swallow ships or boats were basically Whirlpools, so, any connection to a Whirlpool:?:

2] - King Kong, passed through a gate on the island before being captured and transported to the U.S. on a ship.
He is no longer a threat as he was shot and then fell from the Empire State Building.

3] - Could still be relate to an astronomical phenomenon.

MCC
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:23 pm

Moby Dick? (As in Captain Ahab of fiction fame)

Luna:D
lunababy_moonchild

Postby underquark » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:49 pm

MCC wrote:Similar to what Crazy Girl has post - There are Horse-eels of Ireland and Hair-eels of Scotland, both very large conger eels.

Re number 1] - Most mythological beasts that could swallow ships or boats were basically Whirlpools, so, any connection to a Whirlpool:?:
You're closer with eels (shapewise anyway) than with whirlpools.

MCC wrote:2] - King Kong, passed through a gate on the island before being captured and transported to the U.S. on a ship.
He is no longer a threat as he was shot and then fell from the Empire State Building.
Now you're thinking but 2] is a fictional person, not a monster.

MCC wrote:3] - Could still be relate to an astronomical phenomenon.
Indeed 3] could.

1], 2] and 3] share a name.
underquark

Postby underquark » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:14 pm

Whilst you're all thinking, some trivia on King Kong's gates:

Firstly they are way bigger than 22 feet (like maybe 60 feet by 40 feet whilst "our" gate is 22 feet tall).

Secondly, they weren't Kong's (or the villagers) to begin with but were made for the 1916 film "Intolerance". They (along with lots of props from various films) were kept in storage in case they could be used again later. Thus they were resurrected for the King Kong film in 1933 and then next year appeared in one of a Bela Lugosi serial "The Return of Chandu".

With all that hoarding of old film sets and props, space began to run out at the movie studios. These were in the days before collecting movie memorabilia had really caught on and the gates - along with a whole load of other bric-a-brac - were got rid of in the burning of Atlanta scene in Gone with the Wind as stunt doubles stood in for Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh (although strictly speaking they weren't really stunt doubles, it's just that the burning scene was done first to make room for more sets and they hadn't got round to shooting any scenes with Gable and Leigh yet).
underquark

Postby Crazy Girl » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:18 pm

At least we have 7 years in which to prepare if it gets through the 600m window.
And it could occur on a (un)lucky 13th.

:)
Crazy Girl

Postby underquark » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:54 pm

Ah, Crazy Girl, you are well on the way to solving this. I trust that you refer to mere triskaidekaphobia rather than the more specific friggatriskaidekaphobia in your date reckoning?

Have a think on the other clues and then - if you don't get it - post the name anyway to see how the others get on.
underquark

Postby Crazy Girl » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:04 am

Will post answer later in the morning, to give anyone else a go at getting the right answer.
time to get some sleep now,:)
Crazy Girl

Postby udosuk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:30 am

Crazy Girl got it first...

1 - Eclipse...

2 - SG-1...

3 - 99942...
udosuk

Postby Crazy Girl » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:38 am

OK so the answer is Apophis 'the destroyer' which Udosuk seems to of got.

:)
Crazy Girl

Next

Return to Coffee bar