Who am I? (2)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:21 pm

I must admit I did have Apophis the asteroid, but could not relate Apophis to the first two parts of the riddle:(

If I'd used the 'search' button instead of the 'Go' button in wikipedia I may have got it:(

Having revisited wikipedia and checking Apophis, I see that it says that Apophis was not worshipped but worshipped against.

You could say that Satan is not worshipped but worshipped against by worshipping God, but there are cults that worship Satan, so, could there not be cults that worshipped Apophis:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby underquark » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Well done, Crazy girl and commendation to udosuk. Nearly got it, MCC. Luna?

1] From Egyptian mythology via Greek translations: Apophis (Apep or variant spellings) was a snake-like god who lay just below the horizon. Each day the sun-god Ra's boat carried Ra in all in his brilliance across the sky. Each night Apophis swallowed the boat and each morning he either disgorged it or had it ripped from his belly. Although sometimes said to encircle the underworld (from East to West) he was also said to measure 16 yards in length. No records exist of anyone actually worshipping him.

2] In Stargate SG-1, Apohpis was an arch-baddy who travelled through the Stargate (the actual gate lies on a movie set and is 22 feet wide and 22 feet tall, since it is a circle) and also sometimes in a (space)ship. After laying waste to countless worlds and killing a great many people he eventually had his come-uppance. We don't actually see him die although he is on a ship that is being over-run by Replicators and the ship is about to crash into the planet. Also, it is the first and only time he is seen to scream in fear.

3] Apophis (aka 99942 Apophis or 2004MN4) is the name of an asteroid about a half-kilometre in length that just a couple of years ago was thought to represent a genuine risk to Earth as it seemed at the time that it was due to pass very close indeed (within 5 Earth diameters) in the year 2029. It has now changed course a bit (or we have got a better measure of its true course) and it most likely won't harm us in 2029. There is, however, a "window" or "gravitational keyhole" in space measuring about 600 metres that - if Apophis passes through it - could alter the course of the asteroid and cause it to strike Earth in 2036. Asteroids and such are usually named after mythical characters but rumour has it that the discoverers of this object are also big SG-1 fans and Apophis as destroyer-of-worlds seems chillingly more apt than the boat-eating version.
underquark

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:36 pm

underquark wrote:Luna?

Not even close. Although I was going to bore you death with my version of Stargate SG1's Apophis -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophis_(Stargate) (I do not know why this won't link in the traditional way. Maybe it has something to do with the () round the word Stargate) but decided, in the end, not to:D

It was entertaining to watch the thread unfold, though.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby underquark » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:03 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:I do not know why this won't link in the traditional way.
You mean like this?
Parentheses being misinterpreted as BBCode? Do a "Quote" on this posting and see the %28 and %29 for parentheses.
underquark

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:39 pm

underquark wrote:
lunababy_moonchild wrote:I do not know why this won't link in the traditional way.
You mean like this?
Parentheses being misinterpreted as BBCode? Do a "Quote" on this posting and see the %28 and %29 for parentheses.

Yup. I knew it was the brackets I just couldn't figure out how to fix it - and that's how you do pictures too, oh joy!

Thank you Underquark.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:54 pm

I said "Eclipse" because the Egyptians believed that sometimes during the day Apophis/Apep managed to swallowe Ra too, and it's the cause of solar eclipses...

You have access to all 3 aspects at the top of this page.

BTW Apophis is the Greek name, Egyptian name is Apep...
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:18 am

If you do a search for Apophis in wikipedia you get this.

MCC
MCC

Previous

Return to Coffee bar