WHERE?

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

WHERE?

Postby Bigtone53 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:28 pm

Just for old times sake, a man walks south for one mile, then east for one mile and then north for one mile and ends up exactly where he started, But, he did not start at the North Pole. Where did he start?

This is not a riddle, so dont read things into the words, which are just as they seem
Bigtone53

Postby udosuk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:36 am

I know the answer...:D

There are actually more than one possible places, all pretty close to where I live (at least closer than where Bigtone does)...

:)
udosuk

Postby Smythe Dakota » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:41 am

udosuk wrote:.... There are actually more than one possible places, all pretty close to where I live (at least closer than where Bigtone does) ....

Oh, really. Are you a penguin ?

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby tarek » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 am

The fun would be to know the exact parallel:D

The next tricky thing is to know if you've based your directions on a TRUE compass or not.........

tarek
tarek

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:34 pm

The fun would be to know the exact parallel

Ah, but there is more than one exact parallel. Which do you want?
Bigtone53

Postby tarek » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:25 pm

Bigtone53 wrote:Ah, but there is more than one exact parallel. Which do you want?

The one that has the earth spherical:D

by the way you did not specify if we are on LEVEL ground or even on the GROUND:( , come to think about it, you did not specify if we were on Earth in the first place:D

tarek
tarek

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:43 pm

Bigtone53 wrote:
Ah, but there is more than one exact parallel. Which do you want?

The one that has the earth spherical

by the way you did not specify if we are on LEVEL ground or even on the GROUND , come to think about it, you did not specify if we were on Earth in the first place

This is all true, unfortunately.

However, given a perfectly spherical Earth and being on its surface, there are still a number of parallels which fit the bill, not just one.
Bigtone53

Postby MCC » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:07 pm

tarek wrote:...by the way you did not specify if we are on LEVEL ground or even on the GROUND:( , come to think about it, you did not specify if we were on Earth in the first place:D

I think it has to be ground level because you need a planetary body with a dipolar magnetic field to have a magnetic direction in which to use a compass, the directions N.E.W.S are not used in space.

How can you travel one mile east and arrive back in the same spot?
You can travel around a circle one mile in circumference or twice round a circle with a 1/2 mile circumference or four times around a circle with a 1/4 mile circumference and so on.

MCC
MCC

Postby Bigtone53 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 pm

How can you travel one mile east and arrive back in the same spot?
You can travel around a circle one mile in circumference or twice round a circle with a 1/2 mile circumference or four times around a circle with a 1/4 mile circumference and so on.

So I think that all who responded got there. Let me drum up a more exacting one next time.
Bigtone53

Postby RW » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:16 pm

But you didn't define what kind of mile we were talking about. If it was a nautical mile, the man was probably a sailor, from which we can assume that he was drunk, and under the influence of alcohol people strangely tend to end up in places they really shouldn't be. So the man could have started anywhere on the planet, walked the miles but still somehow managed to get back to the starting point.:D

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby Bigtone53 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:43 am

The desire for precision is exemplified by the following story from the book, 'Concepts of Modern Mathematics', by Ian Stewart:

An Astronomer, a Physicist and a Mathematician (it is said) were holidaying in Scotland. Glancing from a train window, they observed a black sheep in the middle of a field. "How interesting," observed the Astronomer, "all Scottish sheep are black!" To which the Physicist responded, "No! Some Scottish sheep are black." The Mathematician gazed heavenward in supplication and then intoned, "In Scotland, there exists at least one field, containing at least one sheep, at least one side of which is black."
Bigtone53

Postby MCC » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:19 am

The next line reads:

"Mathematicians (when on their best behaviour) tend to caution."

Can we deduce anything from this, is Bigtone53 a mathematician:?:

If he is, he acted without caution and therefore not on his best behaviour by not thinking about the puzzle he posted.

Or, he isn't, he is interested in mathematics (he has a copy of the above book in his possession).

The only thing we can deduce is that he has an interest in mathematics.

Now a riddle, it may look familiar but is not mathematical.
Just for old times sake, a man walks south for one mile, then east for one mile and then north for one mile and ends up exactly where he started, But, he did not start at the North Pole. Where did he start?

MCC
MCC

Postby MCC » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:22 am

It seems that people are either stumped for an answer or have lost the will to live and apathy has set in.

The answer: "When he met a polar bear".

MCC
MCC

Where?

Postby Cec » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Well I'm certainly one that has been stumped with this riddle. Even though I couldn't understand the clues from udosuk and Bill Smythe, I assumed Bigtone was convinced they knew the answer when he said "So I think that all who responded got there. Let me drum up a more exacting one next time".

Subsequent posts followed with the latest from MCC saying the answer is ""When he met a polar bear" which I just can't relate to as an answer?

It's bedtime (midnight) for me now and golf and other commitments tomorrow will preclude me becoming any more the wiser. I hope the mystery will be unraveled when I resume tomorrow night.

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Cec, with the South pole as point of axis draw a circle around it of one mile circumference, now start one mile north of the circumference of the circle.
Now you can walk one mile south until you reach the circumference of the circle, you then walk around the circle, a one mile walk, bringing you back to the point you reached when you walked the one mile south, you then retrace the one mile back north to where you started from.

You can have a circle of 1/2 mile circumference, you then need to walk around twice before you start to head north.

For my riddle it's the word "start" and an alternate meaning.

Start: make a sudden movement from surprise, pain, etc.

Polar bears come from the Arctic so our intrepid explorer coming across one in the Antartic caused him to start.

MCC
MCC

Next

Return to Coffee bar