Hard Rock - Leading

OS - Top

Phone - Contest

Steam - Room

If you're a country, how about Norway:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:55 am

MCC, 2 out of 6 of your pairings are correct... Although I could say another 2 are right for my default answer too...

Why Norway? Do they lead in hard rock? What phone contest?
udosuk

Postby MCC » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:13 pm

Ok how about this:

Corruption - Least: World Audit Study; Least corrupt

Edution - Free: No tuition fees

Hard Rock - Contest: Eurovision song contest;"Hard Rock Hallelujah" Lordi

OS - Top: Not sure about this. Ordnance Survey:?:

Phone - Leading: Nokia - Leading cellular phone company

Steam - Room: Sauna

Therefore it's Finland:D

MCC
MCC

Postby MCC » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:23 pm

MCC wrote:Ok how about this:

Corruption - Least: World Audit Study; Least corrupt

Edution - Free: No tuition fees

Hard Rock - Contest: Eurovision song contest;"Hard Rock Hallelujah" Lordi

OS - Top: Not sure about this. Ordnance Survey:?:

Phone - Leading: Nokia - Leading cellular phone company

Steam - Room: Sauna

Therefore it's Finland:D

PS
Aura "The Maiden of Finland" (Suomi-neito).

PSS
If you've been naughty then Joulupukki will not visit you.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:47 pm

Great work MCC... Albeit 2 of your pairings are still not my choice... But I guess they're arguably correct anyway...
Education (or eduation/edution if you have a stiky keybord) - top according to PISA study

OS - free: the Linux operating system, originated by a Finn

Although MCC's pairings also work if you, like many, regard Linux as the top OS above Windows/Mac...

I thought about the Santa Claus/Joulupukki line but there is no particularly strong evidence that he really comes from Finland...

I really thought RW should have been the first one to crack this, having crack so many tougher ones before...:)
udosuk

Postby MCC » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:24 am

Not sure how I ended up with two posts, I only edited the first post to add the PS and PSS's.

Re OS - I did find Mac OS but could not relate it to Finland in any way.

There was no particular reason I mentioned Joulupukki other than I like the sound of it and, of course, we're approaching the Yule tide season.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:48 am

MCC wrote:Not sure how I ended up with two posts, I only edited the first post to add the PS and PSS's.

My guess is you clicked the wrong button ("quote" instead of "edit")...

MCC wrote:Re OS - I did find Mac OS but could not relate it to Finland in any way.

It seems some people still think the only operating systems in the world are Windows or Mac... Just like there were only IBM or Apple...
udosuk

Postby MCC » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:13 am

udosuk wrote:...My guess is you clicked the wrong button ("quote" instead of "edit")...

Could have been, I was tired.

udosuk wrote:
MCC wrote:Re OS - I did find Mac OS but could not relate it to Finland in any way.

It seems some people still think the only operating systems in the world are Windows or Mac... Just like there were only IBM or Apple...

I was looking in 'wiki' for Finland OS and came across Mac OS, but I have heard of linux.
I think for the majority of people, myself included, they do not think about the OS at all.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:36 pm

MCC wrote:I think for the majority of people, myself included, they do not think about the OS at all.

I guess the intended way is for people to go to this link, and then click into the several prominent examples, from which a particular one would be found to be more Finnish related...

I guess Linux is much more famous within the IT world than to the "normal people"...:)
udosuk

Postby tarek » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:53 pm

I visited Finland recently (southern part), I was planning to visit an arctic circle city in the north called Rovaniemi, I decided not after I discovered that a certain group of monsters was from there:D [All radio stations featured their song continuously at the time]

Nothing beats a Long Sauna session followed immediately by a jump into the freezing water..........

tarek
tarek

Previous

Return to Coffee bar