What am I? (UD1)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:17 am

How about a globe of the world.

If you position yourself over Australia and turn the globe till Japan is at 1 o'clock to your position, then in the right hand direction denmark will be at 4 o'clock and England at 8 o'clock, France is directly opposite on the globe you and therefore upside down.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:10 am

Previously I said it's got nothing to do with geographical location... But from underquark's observation I'm not too sure anymore... But my first hand source has no direct link to geography...

The answer I'm looking for has 4 words (with a 2-word subheading)... Ideally the answerer would include the corresponding wikipedia (or other) page containing the info about it...

hinter wrote:Turns out the upside-down France could actually be a sleeping Holland...
udosuk

Postby underquark » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:58 am

udosuk wrote:[Edit: I'll edit the original post when I misquote somebody's username...]

A man of his word:)
underquark

Postby udosuk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Matters aside, here is another big clue:

Hinter wrote:You might find me on some Swiss watches...
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:51 am

Is this a hint saying that you own a very expensive Swiss watch:?:

On Corum's (Swiss watch maker), Admiral's Cup watches, the bezel displays national flags.

That the national flag of Japan is at one o'clock, that of Denmark at four o'clock and that of England at eight o'clock, France is at three o'clock, but instead of it being Blue-White-Red it's Red-White-Blue.

Is this anywhere close to the answer:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:02 am

Well done MCC, you've almost got it... But it seems you still haven't found the origin/exact term of those flags...

The Swiss watch was perhaps too big a hint...

I once owned one of those watches but not right now...

BTW from underquark's observation perhaps the 3 o'clock flag is just a sideway Dutch flag instead (based on the locations of the countries)...
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:24 am

What do you think I am, a vexillologist:?:

Wiki page coming up.

International maritime signal flags

The flags or pennants represent numbers.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:58 am

All points go to MCC...:)

International maritime signal flags is the main subject heading. Another common term is nautical flags... The 2-word subheading is numeric pennants (not in wikipedia but you can google it)...

Vexillology

I couldn't find any info about those numeric pennants' origin and why those countries' flags are used... Anybody knows?
udosuk

Previous

Return to Coffee bar