What am I? (MJ 2)

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby emm » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:14 am

Sorry if that sounded prudish, I didn’t mean it to. It wasn’t me that censored the turtle pic BTW- someone else removed the tail, possibly to reduce voyeurism on the net. Anyway it was completely the wrong kind of turtle.

Also I’m sorry if I stymied the thread with yet another limerick. Sometimes I write things I regret. Sometimes I over apologise. On bad days I can do both. Anyway this piece of plain prose is an attempt to stop the whole stupid limerick thing. And I thought if I quickly solved the riddle as well, I’d make up for it. I had a little window of opportunity to google oxymoronic places and this was the outcome … not much.:D

Actually it’s hard to concentrate on puzzles at the moment but don’t give up on us MJ - it will keep, if no-one gets it before Christmas, or you could give us a special Christmas clue. I’m waiting for Christmas pies to cook while I write this - there’s a little bit of brandy in these ones … Also I’m listening to Ray LaMontagne Till the Sun Turns Black. I think Within You is one of the saddest songs I’ve ever heard, though it wasn’t on the top 10 Saddest Song list I saw the other day. Why they would throw lists like that around at this time of year I wonder … people never cease to amaze … at least it wasn’t the Top 10 Gift List! Imagine giving someone The Saddest Songs Ever. What would they think!

Edit: When I wrote that I didn't know Michael Mepham had died suddenly. I'm really sorry for those who knew him, especially his family. Christmas can surely be a very sad time for lots of people.
emm

Postby Myth Jellies » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:27 am

Hey emm, no worries. Remember I basically asked for the limerick. I find them much more entertaining than anything else:) I would have written one myself but I couldn't work out a clever one this time. I'll give a teeny-tiny hint about the oxymoronic place right now: pronunciation is the key.
Myth Jellies

Postby MCC » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:16 pm

Is the "oxymoronic place":

An observatory:?:

Is it where an observatory is sited:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby Myth Jellies » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:10 pm

MCC wrote:Is the "oxymoronic place":

An observatory:?:

Is it where an observatory is sited:?:

Not an observatory

Several observatories have been sited there.
Myth Jellies

Postby underquark » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:37 pm

Myth Jellies wrote:Several observatories have been sited there.

Are we talking about someplace very high up? Like Mount Mauna Kea or Haleakala?
underquark

Postby Myth Jellies » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:31 am

underquark wrote:Are we talking about someplace very high up? Like Mount Mauna Kea or Haleakala?

No, the place is not particularly high in altitude.
Myth Jellies

Postby tarek » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:04 pm

the place is oxymoronic.....

Is the egglayer oxymoronic too:idea::?:

tarek
tarek

Postby underquark » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:40 am

Is the egglayer under a cheese layer?
underquark

Postby Myth Jellies » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:11 am

tarek wrote:the place is oxymoronic.....

Is the egglayer oxymoronic too:idea::?:

No.

underquark wrote:Is the egglayer under a cheese layer?

Not unless you have a rather strange diet. I googled what the "confirmed egglayer" represents with cheese and was surprised at the number of hits, though. The confirmed egglayer is really a bit of word play that identifies the thing.

A bit of a pre-Christmas hint. It might be prudent to review what qualifies something to be a planet.
Myth Jellies

Re: What am I? (MJ 2)

Postby r.e.s. » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:54 am

Myth Jellies wrote:An oxymoronic place measures the way to the confirmed egglayer overlooking the beginnings for one who would discover a planet.

Googling astronomy lay eggs gave http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/science/eagle_nebula.htm as the first item. I guess the "confirmed egglayer" could be the Eagle Nebula, which "lays" EGGs (= Evaporating Gaseous Globules, embryonic stars). Or the confirmed egglayer could be the constellation that the nebula's in, i.e. Serpens ("snake"). Since not all snakes are egglayers, the Eagle Nebula's EGGs confirm Serpens to be a snake of the egg-laying variety.
r.e.s.

Re: What am I? (MJ 2)

Postby Myth Jellies » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:02 am

r.e.s. wrote:
Myth Jellies wrote:An oxymoronic place measures the way to the confirmed egglayer overlooking the beginnings for one who would discover a planet.

Googling astronomy lay eggs gave http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/science/eagle_nebula.htm as the first item. I guess the "confirmed egglayer" could be the Eagle Nebula, which "lays" EGGs (= Evaporating Gaseous Globules, embryonic stars). Or the confirmed egglayer could be the constellation that the nebula's in, i.e. Serpens ("snake"). Since not all snakes are egglayers, the Eagle Nebula's EGGs confirm Serpens to be a snake of the egg-laying variety.

Nice EGGs. You might be able to fashion an alternate set of answers from this, but it has nothing to do with the "confirmed egglayer" that I am thinking of. Very interesting site, by the way.

Another hint: The "who" in this riddle is a single real particular person whose name is known. The name is not associated with any telescope.
Myth Jellies

Postby underquark » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:01 am

Some years ago a friend and I had been working in excess of 24 hours without a break. Outside a local hospital we saw a sign that had a company name on it and the slogan "LEADING EGG DISTRIBUTORS". We new that an ECG (or EKG) is an electrocardiogram and that an EEG is an elctroencephalogram but puzzled as to what an EGG could be. After several possibilities were covered (including the plausible but incorrect electrogonadogram) I concluded that it must simply refer to eggs. My friend, however, continued to come up with possibilities until we gently let him off the hook the next day.
underquark

Postby emm » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:00 am

The photos on r.e.s.'s link are awesome - in the true sense of the word - and some interesting end-of-the-world stuff to read about too, if you like that kind of thing!!
emm

Postby MCC » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:14 am

Has this anything to do with Ptolemy:?:

Was this person born in the 20th century:?:

Was this person born in the 21st century:?:

Is this person still alive today:?:

"The confirmed egglayer" Has this anything to do any of these constellations:
Cygnus:?:
Draco:?:
Phoenix:?:
Pisces:?:
Serpens:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby Myth Jellies » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:37 am

MCC wrote:Has this anything to do with Ptolemy:?:

Was this person born in the 20th century:?:

Was this person born in the 21st century:?:

Is this person still alive today:?:

"The confirmed egglayer" Has this anything to do any of these constellations:
Cygnus:?:
Draco:?:
Phoenix:?:
Pisces:?:
Serpens:?:

I grant a Christmas wish. Ptolemy is not the "who", but you could well reason that this has something to do with Ptolemy.

"No" is the answer to all your other questions.
Myth Jellies

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar