jimbob wrote:So we have second syllable wren=ren

Yes

jimbob wrote:How about for the third syllable helps=aids=ades

Spot on. It is 'Ades'.

jimbob wrote:So now we have ...renades

Yes you do.

jimbob wrote:Could it be serenades?

It is indeed, well done jimbob.

jimbob wrote:How does this fit the first syllable clue? Thoughts here include screen or monitor or computer, which don't seem quite right.

Ok, the word has been found but has the riddle been solved, almost, but how do you get the 1st syllable:?:

Ok emm, I know that you mentioned Serenades but only so far as Ren was concerned, it was not offered up as an answer.
I tried to keep you on track with:
MCC wrote:emm look to what you have and compare it with the riddle.

MCC
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:44 pm

MCC wrote:
jimbob wrote:Could it be serenades?

It is indeed, well done jimbob.

Yaay!:D

MCC wrote:
jimbob wrote:How does this fit the first syllable clue? Thoughts here include screen or monitor or computer, which don't seem quite right.

Ok, the word has been found but has the riddle been solved, almost, but how do you get the 1st syllable:?:

Could it have something to do with 'see'

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:04 pm

No luna, it's not 'see'.

How does the 1st syllable sound:?: and therefore spelt.
Work backwards with the riddle.

MCC
MCC

Re: What am I? (3)

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:15 pm

MCC wrote:
I'm neither friendly or unfriendly without you, but being with my Jenny helps.
Does some of this sound familiar?

What am I:?:

MCC

So, the answer is se ren ades. Right - thick period now follows - understand that ren refers to Jenny, ades refers to helps but how does the aforementioned se refer to friendly/unfriendly? And why does this sound familiar? I'm just not getting this:(

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby udosuk » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Some random thoughts about the first syllable...

I think it sounds like "sir", which is a polite/friendly addressing...

And then the spelling "se", when added with "u", yields "sue", an unfriendly action against somebody...

And with "ser", adding a "u" in front gives "user", and "user friendly" or "user unfriendly" are common descriptions of softwares...

PS:

I'm neither friendly or unfriendly without you...

I've seen "... either ... or", I've seen "... nether ... nor", but it's the first time I see someone write "... neither ... or"... Is there something special about this grammatical usage?
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:19 pm

udosuk wrote:Some random thoughts about the first syllable...

I think it sounds like "sir",...

Yes.
udosuk wrote:And with "ser", adding a "u" in front gives "user", and "user friendly" or "user unfriendly" are common descriptions of softwares...

PS:

I'm neither friendly or unfriendly without you...

udosuk wrote:I've seen "... either ... or", I've seen "... nether ... nor", but it's the first time I see someone write "... neither ... or"... Is there something special about this grammatical usage?

There's nothing special about it just a blunder on my part. You're right, it should have been "...neither...nor...".

MCC
MCC

Postby tarek » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:03 pm

Fantastic stuff, finally....

I must confess, too many iPOD fairytales were on my mind lately... that might have derailed my chain of thoughts for this one....

I would have suggested instead of 'Waltzing Matilda' to sing 'Save you love for Roma & ...forrr MMEEIEE'

but then that would make it too easy....

tarek
tarek

Postby MCC » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:13 am

In the beginning any thoughts of songs or singing did not really occur to me, although at the back of my mind I thought I might be able introduce something later on if need be.
Then emm started the singing so I joined in, in the hope that when I introduced a song reference people might over look the relevancy of it, but it turned out to be too big a clue, with emm picking up on serenade straight away, but she did not go with it.

MCC
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:52 am

MCC wrote:I'm neither friendly or unfriendly without you...

I still don't see how this can be se or sound like sir:(

Luna
Last edited by lunababy_moonchild on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunababy_moonchild

Postby emm » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:35 am

Well bless my cotton socks, failed again! I can handle being wrong sometimes but this is starting to take it's toll. I was pretty sure I had cracked it this time too. I agree with Luna it's a bit of a stretch from 'neither friendly or unfriendly without you' -> u-ser especially when you throw in 'it's staring you in the face right now, I mean right now!' and how are we s'posed to know stuff from 40 years ago? C'MON!

Anyways, back to the song - sorry Ruud, that's not the one I was thinking of

1. I don't have a bagpipe chorus!

2. You have a couple of extra nah nahs!

3. There's no moss on this lassie's assey <-- BIG CLUE and by that I don't mean "Fat Bottomed Girls.":D
emm

Postby MCC » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:01 pm

I'm no computer history buff and if I'm seriously wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Now days, with the software available, all you need to do to use a computer is to point and click, whereas, 30-40 years ago, if you wanted to do something with a computer you would have to write your own program to do so.

What I was trying to indicate with 'it's staring you in the face right now, I mean right now!' , was your interface with the computer, not a mirror or some other object you are looking at or could be looking at, and what enabled you to interact with the computer, i.e., the software.

You're telling me that you have not heard the phrase 'user friendly' before:?:

Luna how do you pronounce 'serenade':

See ren ade:?: or

Ser ren ade:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:28 pm

MCC wrote:Luna how do you pronounce 'serenade':

See ren ade:?: or

Ser ren ade:?:

MCC

Se ren ade.

To be fair, most, if not all of these riddles are completely outwith my solving capabilities but generally speaking I can see the answer when it is solved. I was just having a little trouble with this one:)

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby MCC » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Fair enough.

The riddles are only a means to get people talking, promote discussion.

It's the tangents that get interesting.

So it does not matter if cannot solve a riddle only that you take part in the solving:D

MCC
MCC

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:54 pm

MCC wrote:Fair enough.

The riddles are only a means to get people talking, promote discussion.

Very successful they are too. I enjoy just reading them.

MCC wrote:It's the tangents that get interesting.

Very.

MCC wrote:So it does not matter if cannot solve a riddle only that you take part in the solving:D

*Laughs* I reckon so:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby emm » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:43 am

MCC - did I come across a little sharp? Sorry, I didn't mean to – I know I should use the smiley face more, it’s just that it's such a paint stripper when it comes to irony. One yellow emoticon and irony is blowtorched before you can say ‘Just kidding!’ and I really, really hate to see good irony go to waste.

Truth is, I thought u-ser was pretty clever and also, confidentially, I actually was around '30 - 40' years ago, so that was just a great big smoke screen too. Oh, if a little honesty isn't good for the soul!

What I'm really trying to say, MCC, is that the riddles are great - thanks for all the effort you put into them.

warmlovinghugs

emm (chickies mile)

PS : Luna - 'se-ren-ade' - HaHa! … OH, OK THEN!...:D
emm

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar