Postby Bigtone53 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:39 pm

udosuk wrote:
MCC wrote:
Ok, clue time.

Quote:
How do you get a well known person up to speed

What do I do

Answer: Remove the bee.

What a pity, without it you'd see my favourite vegetable...

OK gotcha, but

a) favourite vegetable, really? and

b) a basic grounding in Latin helped in the end.

Well done udosuk.
Bigtone53

What am I?(29)

Postby Cec » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:40 pm

MCC wrote:This has all you need to solve this riddle.

udosuk wrote:
MCC wrote:Ok, clue time.

How do you get a well known person up to speed:?:

What do I do:?:

Answer: Remove the bee.

What a pity, without it you'd see my favourite vegetable...

Hmm? I'm sure I've got some brain cells left but maybe none on the right side. Still don't get this?

I can think of at least a thousand "well known persons". Now there's no bee (b) in these three words though some of these persons would presumably have a "bee" (b) in their name..... still I'm confused to find answer.:(

The only "bee" (b) in udosuk's above quote is in the word "vegetable" ....this gives "vegetale" if you remove the "b". I don't know any stories or tales about "vegemite ".

Have mercy on this frustrated member.:)

Cec
Cec

Postby MCC » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:05 am

Ok Cec, what do you call a group of "well known persons":?:

This word has been mentioned.

MCC
MCC

What am I ?(29)

Postby Cec » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:20 am

MCC wrote:Ok Cec, what do you call a group of "well known persons":?:

This is driving me nuts:) The only previously mentioned word I can think of with a "b" in it is "Celebrity". However, previous posts show
MCC wrote:
emm wrote:Is the celebrity male or female?

Neither.
Nor is it an animal.

So, I can't see how "Celebrity" can be right if the're not male or female. Also "Celebrity" without the "b" makes no sense.

Seriously udosuk, I'm not joking when I say I still can't solve this riddle so may have to consider standing on toilet seat to feel "high on pot" if I can't solve before retiring to bed tonite:)

Cec
Cec

Postby Bigtone53 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:35 am

As neither the setter nor the solver, it is not my place to give hints but I will be fascinated to see how MCC or udosuk give a further hint without just giving the answer away!
Bigtone53

Postby tarek » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:55 am

Bigtone53 wrote:As neither the setter nor the solver, it is not my place to give hints but I will be fascinated to see how MCC or udosuk give a further hint without just giving the answer away!

I don't want to sound BACKWARD, but did anyone read my previous post:D

tarek in his previous post wrote:Lord Brocket: "BRUSH UR Y TI RELEC":D

tarek
tarek

Re: What am I ?(29)

Postby MCC » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:58 am

Cec wrote:...So, I can't see how "Celebrity" can be right if the're not male or female. Also "Celebrity" without the "b" makes no sense.

Your almost there Cec, first "look up" then "look down".

As for tarek, I did read your post and it did not make sense, there's nothing there to indicate what you wanted me to do. I thought it was something that this Lord Brocket had said or maybe a text message.

Now I know what you wanted me to do, it's obvious.

Tarek has come second.

MCC
MCC

What am I? (29)

Postby Cec » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:35 am

Bigtone53 wrote:As neither the setter nor the solver, it is not my place to give hints but I will be fascinated to see how MCC or udosuk give a further hint without just giving the answer away!

Speaking for myself, when a riddle has been correctly solved, I would prefer the answer be posted by MCC - say in a very small font size - rather than continue on with more hints. The answer can be easily read simply by clicking on the quote button and increasing the font size and select the "Preview" button.

I'm assuming there are others like myself who still may not have solved this (and other) riddles when another person knowing the answer posts a concealed hint(s) themselves which MCC can then detect that person knows the correct answer but which is still not obvious to others. The downside is that if a riddle is solved early then it's not as interesting as one which lingers on.

As I see it, not knowing the answer to a "solved" riddle leaves me with two choices:

(a) continue "asking" for more hints which, whilst somewhat embarressing, will eventually produce the answer.

(b) conceal my embarressment by saying nothing which becomes frustrating in not knowing the answer. I prefer choice (a).

tarek wrote:I don't want to sound BACKWARD, but did anyone read my previous post:D

tarek in his previous post wrote:Lord Brocket: "BRUSH UR Y TI RELEC":D

Sorry Tarek but I did read your "hint" and couldn't understand it. I assumed MCC was refering to your "hint" by saying "It has nothing to do with a particular person".

Well I'm "looking up" and "looking down" but the problem is I don't know what I'm looking for but will continue to soldier on whilst also watching the interesting ODI cricket match.

Cec
Cec

Postby udosuk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 pm

In fact, I don't think it's fair here, because I always look for help using the Internet for things I don't know (I'm ignorant in a lot of fields), but Cec is obviously a serious player who prefer to "do it using his brain"... For example, for this one, there is a very thick green book in the library which helps heaps (probably there is a copy at your home too), but I suppose you'll feel much more satisfied if you fight it proudly with your brain (and nothing else) and prevail at the end...

MCC wrote:It's not Apium graveolens or any other vegetable, but you thinking along the right lines.

As mysterious as this sentence might sound, it's in fact a little relevant to the solution... That is if you're willing to research on unfamiliar terms...

Tarek, I get your "backward" meaning, but what's the "Lord Brocket brush" doing there? Sorry I'm not familiar with UK TV stuffs...
udosuk

Postby MCC » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Cec wrote:...Also "Celebrity" without the "b" makes no sense.

Or does it:?:

MCC
MCC

Postby tarek » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:19 pm

udosuk wrote:Tarek, I get your "backward" meaning, but what's the "Lord Brocket brush" doing there? Sorry I'm not familiar with UK TV stuffs...

So I was Backward after all:D , Brocket & Brush would become Speed synonyms without the B, the perfect coverup for what followed:D . I was trying to show that I knew the answer without giving it away... You did it better than I did:D

tarek
tarek

What am I? (29)

Postby Cec » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:06 pm

I think I'm on to something. A "well known person" is a "Celebrity". If you remove the "b" from this word you get "Celerity". Thanks to MCC's hint and Wikipedia searching "Celerity" is another word for "speed"( I had never heard the word "Celerity" before).

Is this the answer.?

udosuk wrote:"...In fact, I don't think it's fair here, because I always look for help using the Internet for things I don't know (I'm ignorant in a lot of fields), but Cec is obviously a serious player who prefer to "do it using his brain"... For example, for this one, there is a very thick green book in the library which helps heaps (probably there is a copy at your home too), but I suppose you'll feel much more satisfied if you fight it proudly with your brain (and nothing else) and prevail at the end..."

Thanks for flattering me udosuk in thinking I prefer to use my brain proudly rather than the Internet, etc. but that is simply not the case. I don't consider myself a serious player, on the contrary, I tend to cover up my lack of knowledge on many things by throwing in a few corny jokes as a smokescreen for my shortcomings. In fact I'm surprised nobody has criticised me for not taking these riddles seriously:)

I have an outdated 1978 Oxford Dictionary and have only become aware of the excellent Wikipedia search link through this Forum. I should use this link more such as checking on the word "Celerity" which I didn't know was a word.

As mentioned above, I actually get embarressed in not being able to work most of these riddles out after so many hints have been given such as Bigtone's relevant comment above. I suspect there are other members who don't know the answers either and - dare I say it - hope that someone else will continue to get more hints until an answer finally emerges.

Cec
Cec

Re: What am I? (29)

Postby JPF » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:29 pm

Cec wrote:"Celerity" is another word for "speed"( I had never heard the word "Celerity" before).
I should use this link more such as checking on the word "Celerity" which I didn't know was a word.

That's why E=mc²

JPF
JPF
2017 Supporter

Postby underquark » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:24 am

Using good old Wikipedia, you can reduce celerity by one letter at each stage to yield:

(6) Another name for smallage.
(5) A Roman consul, died 59BC, possibly poisoned buy his wife, Clodia
(4) Part of the name of an ancient Scottish monastic order.
(3) One of a series of world-changing events, the latest of which some believe we are in the middle of (and the major cause of).
(2) A Northwest Semeitc word for god.
(1) The most common letter (in several languages).
underquark

Re: What am I? (29)

Postby MCC » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:34 am

Cec wrote:I think I'm on to something. A "well known person" is a "Celebrity". If you remove the "b" from this word you get "Celerity". Thanks to MCC's hint and Wikipedia searching "Celerity" is another word for "speed"( I had never heard the word "Celerity" before).

Is this the answer.?

Yes it is Cec, well done.

MCC
MCC

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar