Unbelievable but true...

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby Hud » Thu May 04, 2006 3:44 pm

I always heard that "Kim" was the most common name in the world. Maybe Kim's the most common surname? I wonder how many "Mohammed Kim's" there are?
Hud

Postby udosuk » Thu May 04, 2006 7:08 pm

Kim is a common surname in Korea (maybe in US too). It's also a popular English first name for ladies (maybe some men too). So collectively I think there are many people in the world who have a name including this word... But I don't believe it's the most common name in the "world"... In "Western world" maybe...

As for "Mohammed Kim", don't hold your hope too high... Not too many Koreans are converted Muslims I'd say...

As for Cec's "challenge", I don't understand the question too much... Anyway I don't think writing with your right elbow would be affected by your left hand tied to your body... Are you a lefty?
udosuk

Unbelievable but true

Postby Cec » Thu May 04, 2006 11:42 pm

udosuk wrote:As for Cec's "challenge", I don't understand the question too much... Anyway I don't think writing with your right elbow would be affected by your left hand tied to your body... Are you a lefty?

Having my left hand tied to my body wouldn't affect writing with my right elbow but it does prevent me holding the pencil against my right elbow to write. Even with this restriction I am still able to write with my elbow. No. I'm not left handed. So, how do I write with my right elbow.

It could be said this is an "unfair" question. Knowing the "write" clue would help.
Cec
Cec

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri May 05, 2006 6:20 am

You could jam the pencil in the crook of your elbow and try to writ that way.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Unbelieveable but true

Postby Cec » Fri May 05, 2006 8:11 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:You could jam the pencil in the crook of your elbow and try to writ that way.

Hi Luna,
Because my left hand is tied to my left side the pencil can only be picked up with my right hand - this makes it impossible for me to jam the pencil between the crook of my right elbow in order to write.

This is a tricky one which needs another clue. Even with my left hand imobilized I am still able to pick up the pencil in my right hand and write .. now what should I write to solve this trick?

Cec .
Cec

Postby MCC » Fri May 05, 2006 8:53 am

You could write with your right hand 'with my right elbow' on a piece of paper.

MCC
MCC

Unbelievable but true

Postby Cec » Fri May 05, 2006 9:20 am

MCC wrote:You could write with your right hand 'with my right elbow' on a piece of paper.

MCC - congratulations. For what it's worth when I first read about this "puzzle" I almost pulled my hair out in trying to find a solution. When I finally gave up and read the answer I felt I was "tricked" unfairly because the original question didn't show the "explanation marks" which, of course, would have revealed the "trick". I guess if we enjoy trying to solve these "teasers" then it really doesn't matter. Thanks to all for replies.

Cec
Cec

Postby Bigtone53 » Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm

People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.

I dont think so. The use of the expression predates the discovery of the circulation of blood etc. In the Middle ges in the UK, it was believed that the soul left the body on a sneeze. The Bless You was to prevent the Devil creeping in.

As to tonguetwisters, I have always liked the cyclists one

A bloke's back brake block broke
Bigtone53

Postby udosuk » Fri May 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Bigtone53 wrote:A bloke's back brake block broke

How about:
Bloke's black back brake block broke
udosuk

Postby Ruud » Fri May 05, 2006 5:37 pm

udosuk wrote:Bloke's black back brake block broke

bloke has no money, so:
Broke bloke's black back brake block broke

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby vidarino » Fri May 05, 2006 7:43 pm

The worst tongue-twister I have ever encountered looks so innocent, but is really oh-so-evil.

"Toy boat"

Seriously, try to say "toy boat" out loud repeatedly and as fast as you can, and you'll see! It can't be done!
vidarino

Postby emm » Fri May 05, 2006 8:14 pm

Irish wristwatch
emm

Postby underquark » Sat May 06, 2006 12:09 am

"I'm not a pheasant plucker, but I'm a pheasant plucker's son"?
underquark

Postby Hud » Sat May 06, 2006 1:32 am

I've been wracking my brain trying to recall the movie this line was in:

"where went the winged whipperwill"

The tongue twister was used on a former German Prison of War Camp Guard by a former inmate.The movie was set in postwar Berlin. Any takers?
Hud

Unbelievable but true

Postby Cec » Sat May 06, 2006 2:40 am

Hud wrote:The movie was set in postwar Berlin. Any takers?

"Colditz"? Not sure of my spelling here.

Cec
Cec

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar