SiSeSuSo = Simple Serial Sudoku Solver

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Re: SiSeSuSo = Simple Serial Sudoku Solver

Postby Mathimagics » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Hajime wrote:Standard Excel functionalty.

That's fine for somebody who is familiar with Excel, less so for non-office people like me … 8-)

I figured most of it out ... but I can't get the display to match your sample images, which is what I would prefer - how do I eliminate those dotted lines, etc?
User avatar
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: 27 May 2015
Location: Canberra

Re: SiSeSuSo = Simple Serial Sudoku Solver

Postby Hajime » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 am

Mathimagics wrote:how do I eliminate those dotted lines, etc?

Those dotted lines are between the cell and the candidates? Uncheck the "Show Candidates" checkbox.
Maybe you can post your result picture up till now and state what you want to improve.
And I escort you in an accelerated advanced excellent excel exercise :D
User avatar
Hajime
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 20 April 2018
Location: Netherlands

Re: SiSeSuSo = Simple Serial Sudoku Solver

Postby Mathimagics » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Hajime wrote:Those dotted lines are between the cell and the candidates? Uncheck the "Show Candidates" checkbox.

Ahhh, that's better!

Hajime wrote:Maybe you can post your result picture up till now and state what you want to improve.

I think it's good enough for me now, but will do so if I think of anything.

Hajime wrote:And I will escort you in an accelerated advanced excellent excel exercise :D

Scary! :shock:

It is very kind of you to offer, but I don't think I really want to go there! :lol:

Which reminds me, I asked you this in another place, but you may have missed it: Why did you choose to build this in Excel/VBA ?? I thought it was because you had no alternative, but now I know you have VB.Net … wouldn't this option give you an app that is:

  • considerably faster? (compiled EXE vs interpreted VBA)
  • easier to extend/maintain?
  • easier to use?
  • attractive to more users? While your enthusiasm for Excel is clear, I suspect that this is not a very common view in the wider puzzler community!
User avatar
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: 27 May 2015
Location: Canberra

Re: SiSeSuSo = Simple Serial Sudoku Solver

Postby Hajime » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 am

Mathimagics wrote:Which reminds me, I asked you this in another place, but you may have missed it: Why did you choose to build this in Excel/VBA ?? I thought it was because you had no alternative, but now I know you have VB.Net … wouldn't this option give you an app that is:

  • considerably faster? (compiled EXE vs interpreted VBA)
  • easier to extend/maintain?
  • easier to use?
  • attractive to more users? While your enthusiasm for Excel is clear, I suspect that this is not a very common view in the wider puzzler community!


  • considerably faster? (compiled EXE vs interpreted VBA) - SiSeSuSo is is meant for human solvable puzzles. A Samurai is solved in seconds and generated in minutes. A Shaolin takes 2-4 hours to be generated, but that happens overnight, and is ready when I wake up. Why the hurry?
  • easier to extend/maintain? - I think the code is almost the same in EXE or in VBA, but lots of functionality is standard excel, like printing, coloring, copy/paste, font-size etc. In an EXE you have to program that "extra stuff". Doable but I rather prefer to implement a next solving-method or Sudoku-type.
  • easier to use? - Maybe yes, depends on how well the extra stuff is easy-to-use.
  • attractive to more users? - That is a very good point. I did not realize that there are Windows-PC without MS Office. Now I will consider it !
User avatar
Hajime
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 20 April 2018
Location: Netherlands

Re: SiSeSuSo = Simple Serial Sudoku Solver

Postby Mathimagics » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:43 am

Good answers!

Miscellanea:

You're right about speed - it is not an issue for these multiple-grid puzzles, where you want only human-solvable puzzles …

Color settings (rendering options) do require some programming effort, but isn't your "Paint" button doing that already? In VB6 anything we draw on a Form or a PictureBox can be sent to the printer with a single statement. Excel does handle the color selection, border styles etc, nicely, I can see that ...

Yes, there is a world outside the (MS) Office!! :lol:

Cheers!
User avatar
Mathimagics
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: 27 May 2015
Location: Canberra

Re: SiSeSuSo = Simple Serial Sudoku Solver

Postby Hajime » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 pm

SiSeSuSo version 8 is released (in may).
In the Solver the "WXYZ wings"-method and the "Odd-Even"-type are added.
The Generator progress bar is slightly changed. It is still difficult to estimate the remaining time.

SiSeSuSo Version V8 is available at the website https://sites.google.com/site/sisesuso/

I am busy converting the excels to an .exe
User avatar
Hajime
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 20 April 2018
Location: Netherlands

Previous

Return to Software