samurai su doku

For fans of Killer Sudoku, Samurai Sudoku and other variants

samurai su doku

Postby heather » Sat May 28, 2005 8:25 am

hi im new to this website but i have played(or tried to!) su doku since the first puzzle in the times! i wondered if anyone had seen the samurai si doku in the times today(28th). i dont know where to start! i can see this puzzle keeping me from revising for my a levels this weekend!!
heather

Postby possum » Sat May 28, 2005 8:43 am

Have just seen it, Heather! And the recommended solving time of 42 minutes. Will be having a go at it later. Good prize: Glastonbury tickets.:)
possum

Pappocom or not?

Postby lil_miss » Sat May 28, 2005 11:35 am

Wayne is this samurai su doku one of yours?
lil_miss

Postby possum » Sat May 28, 2005 6:17 pm

Have just completed this on my third attempt. I enjoyed it, and found it more challenging than the usual su doku. There is to be another Samurai in Monday's Times.
possum

Samurai Su-Doku

Postby Guest » Sat May 28, 2005 9:11 pm

Tried the Samurai today, and as an experienced Su Doke player I am confused. I thought that and Su Doku only ever had one solution. I've sorted out he top left Su-Doku, but the numbers on the bottom line of the bottom right hand quadrant don't align with the numbers in the middle Su Doku or the top right Su-Doku with regard to the positioning of the eight's!

Postby abi283 » Sat May 28, 2005 9:19 pm

I had that exact same problem with the eights! had to abandon it in the end, even though i am certain my solution to top left puzzle is correct!
abi283

Postby possum » Sat May 28, 2005 9:36 pm

In reply to Confused and Abi, if I read your posts correctly, you attempted to solve the five grids individually rather than as part of the larger puzzle. It cannot be solved this way.
possum

Postby Guest » Sat May 28, 2005 10:37 pm

I solved the middle grid first, and found it easier as i had more numbers in the corner sections.

Re: Pappocom or not?

Postby Pappocom » Sun May 29, 2005 2:56 am

lil_miss wrote:Wayne is this samurai su doku one of yours?

No, it's not one of mine. I haven't seen it, so can't really comment. I take it there are 5 grids, overlapping by one box in each corner of the central grid? Puzzle magazines in Japan feature such overlapping puzzles quite regularly, in a variety of configurations. Ideally, none of the grids should be solveable in isolation - they should need help from their overlappers. The number of clues-per-grid should be fewer than would normally be the case.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 5:46 am

Have completed this puzzle, i will post the answer after 10pm sunday *grinz* cant be having with other peeps stealing my tickets, but my advice is solve the middle grid first, as it has the most numbers helping it as the other 4 grids help solve a square in each, then work through the rest, i solved grids in C, B, D, A order but could just be how my wacky mind works:D
btw, my time was 43 mins... damn that toilet break:D

Postby petef » Sun May 29, 2005 9:52 am

My wife and I have both completed it now. She did it by hand and I modified my solving program. None of the 5 grids are uniquely solvable by themselves. By comparing pencil marks in the overlaps the unique solution does come out.
--
Pete Forman
petef

samurai

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 11:51 am

took me 25 minutes to suss out that the overlapping cells are key - after that it's just like solving difficult level Sudokus.

oh, btw the wife's now left me

Samurai Su-Doku

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 1:31 pm

Thanks for all of the help and advice. I got the idea (and solution now).

Glastonbury here we come!

I solved it this morning.

Postby jonallen1966 » Sun May 29, 2005 6:55 pm

It's quite a tricky one. Once I had solved
the middle one, all 4 ones round the outside
take quite a while for me to solve.
You can use numbers from the outer 4 to
help solve the middle one too which helps.

42 mins the japanese reckon ?
They must be real experts, it took me more
than 4 hours of concentrated time to solve it

I've put a scan of it on my website if you'd like to see it
www.allenmannaro.com/Samurai_Sudoku.jpg
jonallen1966

Postby george-no1 » Sun May 29, 2005 7:14 pm

Did anyone actually crack it in under 42 minutes? It must have taken me double that - it is going to make me fail my latin test now!:!:

If someone actually did do it in under 42, I'd like to know how!

George:)
george-no1

Next

Return to Sudoku variants