Quote Game

Anything goes, but keep it seemly...

Postby MCC » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:47 pm

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones, They're the modern stone-age family. From the town of Bedrock, They're a page right out of history. Let's ride with the family down the street, Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet. When you're with the Flintstones, You'll have a yabba doo time, A dabba doo time, You'll have a gay old time.

YABBA DABBA DOO!!!!!!!!!!!

MCC
MCC

Postby MCC » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:50 pm

New quote coming up, could be easy.

WRSPC
FRDMSSLVRY
GNRNCSSTRNGTH

mcc
MCC

Postby RW » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:00 pm

Congratulations MCC, that is correct!!

I guess it's time for MCC now to come up with yet another quote/riddle. Actually, I think this is the hardest part of the game...

PS. I'm sorry for spelling it wrong at first, but googling "yabadabadoo" also gave results that refered to the Flintstones...

Ha, I can see that you already posted a new one while I wrote this...

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby RW » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:03 pm

MCC wrote:New quote coming up, could be easy.

You're right, it is easy. But I wont post the answer now, otherwise I'd have to figure out a new quote immediately...:)
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby underquark » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:17 pm

Clock striking thirteen, afraid I must go. (Yes I know it's from a different work but I'm sure you get the picture).
underquark

Postby dancer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:15 am

RW wrote:Congratulations MCC, that is correct!!

I guess it's time for MCC now to come up with yet another quote/riddle. Actually, I think this is the hardest part of the game...

PS. I'm sorry for spelling it wrong at first, but googling "yabadabadoo" also gave results that refered to the Flintstones...

Ha, I can see that you already posted a new one while I wrote this...

RW
guys this is not a riddle game its a guote game. I am not being rude or anything, but please can we do quotes and not riddles please. Thank you.
PS. Unless you guys want to do a riddle game start one by yourself than using my post unless its a quote.
dancer

Postby emm » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:30 am

The trouble is - when do quotes become riddles? There's a tricky transformation area which may need some thinking through - the kind of thinking that went into answering this age old question. “How far away from the beach do togs become undies?”
emm

Postby dancer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:23 am

Undes
dancer

Postby Myth Jellies » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:25 am

Seems like if it is just quotes, then you could just Google them couldn't you? That's what I did with the first one.

That's why I originally thought the idea was to replace words in the quote with theoretically equivalent words or phrases or mini-riddles and then try to guess the original quote.

Something like, "A bit of pain in the past may now serve to redeem the entire lineup!"
Myth Jellies

Postby RW » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:21 am

Myth is right, google does take the fun out of a regular quote game. I did try to find a good quote that wouldn't solve immediately by entering the full quote into google, but I failed... Actually I also solved MCC's quote with the help of google. I could see that the middle line with some vowels became a familiar phrase, but as I couldn't remember where I saw it, google told me.

RW
RW
2010 Supporter

Postby MCC » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:25 am

We have, kind-of, usurped this topic for our own ends, I know that we do this all the time but maybe we should stick to quotes in this topic and move the riddle/quotes to a new topic:?:

What do people think about this:?:

I think that most quotes can be googled but just because it makes it harder for us to come up with a suitable quote shouldn't we give it a try:?:

I should say that I just googled a phrase from a book and what did google come up with:?: Nada, zilch, zero, not a sausage, not a single link.
Which means people will have to ask questions as to who and where.

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:02 am

Okay, I think at least 20 persons have solved MCC's quote riddle but all have declined to answer for not wanting to post the next one... I'll take the baton:
George Orwell in Nineteen Eighty-Four wrote:WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My next one is this:
??? wrote:May one live in an interesting time!

Hope you couldn't google it too easily, cause I twitched it a bit to avoid that:) . It is said to be a Chinese curse, but I have a Chinese origin and have never heard of it... It has appeared in Ruud's forum in recent times and I've managed to find quite an amount of details about it... It's a good researching exercise... So hope you would enjoy the trip!:)
udosuk

Postby MCC » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 am

udosuk wrote:My next one is this:
??? wrote:May one live in an interesting time!

Hope you couldn't google it too easily, cause I twitched it a bit to avoid that:) . It is said to be a Chinese curse, but I have a Chinese origin and have never heard of it... It has appeared in Ruud's forum in recent times and I've managed to find quite an amount of details about it... It's a good researching exercise... So hope you would enjoy the trip!:)

How about Eric Frank Russell writing under the pseudonym Duncan H Munro in a Sci Fi story - "U-Turn":?:

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

MCC
MCC

Postby udosuk » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:59 pm

MCC, you're that keen to post the next quote eh?:D (Remember, dancer doesn't like anything too cryptical...:!: )

Okay, to make it fair, anyone who can post the correct page number where that "curse" appeared in the original copy of the novel gets to post the next one...:idea:
udosuk

Postby MCC » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Where is dancer by the way:?:

Have s/he abandoned us:?:

I'm not too eager to post the next quote, I thought I had one earlier but the search engine has changed its mind.
Let's see if someone can come up with the correct page number first.

MCC
MCC

PreviousNext

Return to Coffee bar